Current grazing prices?

More
12 years 5 months ago #29923 by sheep
we have been letting a local farmer graze his cattle on our pasture for the past year and a half. however we have not seen a single cent and is feeling like the farmer isnt being very honest with the prices.

currently he is running 3 full grown cattles and 3 calves and told us he is only paying at most $500 which includes grazing the 6, herding the cattle and fencing maintenance.

the other option hes given us is $4 for the grown cattles and free for the calves per week, but we have to herd the cattles ourselves and maintain the fencing ourselves

is that really the current prices? or are we being given the run around?

any advice is appreciated
cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #404677 by edster951
Replied by edster951 on topic Current grazing prices?
your being diddled....

calves $5-6 per head
yearlings $6-8
Cows up to $16 per head per week.

Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

More
12 years 5 months ago #404678 by stripey
Replied by stripey on topic Current grazing prices?
Yes, but... If he is only grazing 3 cows with calves on the place then clearly there isn't much land, which usually makes it more inconvenient than anything else for a larger style farmer to incorporate into his grazing plan.

Is he doing you a favour by keeping the grass down or did he really need the land? How user-friendly is the set-up for him? Who currently does the maintenance and looking after the animals?

I've currently got the neighbour's cows on my place to keep the grass down and I consider it a huge favour from their side to lend them to me!

More
12 years 5 months ago #404679 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Current grazing prices?
What was the original agreement?
He may think that he is doing you a favour keeping the grass under control, which you would be required to maintain coming into fire season (present climate events the exception)

More
12 years 5 months ago #404682 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Current grazing prices?
We paid $5 a week for adults and 2.50 per week for calves. They maintained fences and moved the animals on when they wanted them moved elsewhere. I am given to understand thats standard dairy price around west auckland here, it would differ around the country

More
12 years 5 months ago #404687 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Current grazing prices?

stripey;400395 wrote: Is he doing you a favour by keeping the grass down or did he really need the land? How user-friendly is the set-up for him? Who currently does the maintenance and looking after the animals?

That is the question that decides the notches on the measuring stick.....who is doing whom the favour?
If he is doing you the favour and is looking after your fences, then you should be thanking your lucky stars.
If he needs the grazing then he should pay you the going rate AND look after the fences.
If he doesn't actually need the grass but it is handy for him, some middle ground needs to be established and $500 a year sounds PLUS maintenance sounds ok to me. Could you get that money and service without him?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 5 months ago #404699 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Current grazing prices?
50c per cow per day equals $182.50 per year. You might be able to get $365 per calf ($182,50 x 2) if you owned the cows, and had a bull and had no health problems and had no escapes that you had to pay the car owner or neighbour for ..... but I doubt it.
So as a cow owner that leases grazing, I consider that 50 cents per adult per day is fair. That gives you half the value of the grass, and the grazier the other half. I expect the land owner to pay for fertiliser and weed control with their income, because I have to pay for health costs and transport, and take the risk of deaths.

More
12 years 5 months ago #404702 by trixie
Replied by trixie on topic Current grazing prices?
Hi - Isn't the main point here that they have already been there over a year and he has paid nothing ? Regardless of what you agree ( agreed ) on, no payment is no payment.

More
12 years 5 months ago #404781 by Hoof trimmer
Hi Sheep,
If you're in the Waikato area you can ask for $8/hd/wk for the adults and $6/hd/wk for the calves (as weaners). That won't be the cheapest grazing on offer but it certainly won't be the most expensive. For that you will have to move them around as they need fresh grass and give them their worm drench as required. Trace minerals may be your cost, as could extra Zinc for F.E.
Negociate with the cattle owner. That's what I am getting.
Can you use the area youself for anything, can it be cut for hay/baleage or is it steep.
Standing grass at this time of year is $20-30/large round bale. Example: I sold 4ha of grass to a neighbour for $??/bale. He and his contractor (whom he paid) did all the work from in the paddock to the tube wrapping at his farm. I got a cheque for opening and closing the gate. Everyone was happy, and then a couple of weeks later my other neighbour sold the same farmer about 2ha of grass in the same way.
Personally I think you may do better $$$$wise than your current agreement. And finally, I don't think that your farmer would be grazing cattle anywhere else for nothing!

The Best Hooves are Hoof it Hooves
www.hoofit.co.nz

More
12 years 5 months ago #406220 by sheep
Replied by sheep on topic Current grazing prices?

stripey;400395 wrote: Is he doing you a favour by keeping the grass down or did he really need the land? How user-friendly is the set-up for him? Who currently does the maintenance and looking after the animals?

hey guys thanks for comments. sorry been overseas and had limited access to internet since first posting. as to who is doing who a favour... well he is doing us the favour by keeping the grass down. the set up is very user friendly for him as there is a gate for easy access onto the pasture right out by the main road. currently he looks after the maintenance and looks after the animals.

we initially thought that was part of the deal along with the $4 per cow as that was what we were told when we first moved in by either the real estate agent or the owner (cant remember..) but he's since told us that the $4 is with us the land owners having to do the maintenance which is why he hasnt paid us, not that he has done any even after a couple of the animals trampled through the fence onto neighbouring properties.

and now i think he's decided to dick us around by placing 2 cows to graze during this time leaving the pasture to grow to about knee high.

More
12 years 5 months ago #406225 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Current grazing prices?
If you dont like the arrangement, ask him to move his cattle as you are getting your own. You can go the kumeu auctions [closed over the holidays] and get yourself a couple of cattle. Buy beef breeds tho, dairy cattle are not much use to you. If you dont know cattle well, you might be better to get someone to help or ask a stock agent. You will pay more with the stock agent as he will take his cut but he should know how to choose good animals

More
12 years 5 months ago #406241 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Current grazing prices?
............so did you have the agreement with him directly or was it a carry over from the previous owner.

Why do you assume he is dicking you around with the two cows, he may have weaned the calves so its not practical to have them in the paddock with the cows. He may not have othe stock suitable for your block. Grass at this time of the year is going mad and knee high grass is quite normal at this time of the year.

What did he tell you when you asked him about it

There is not really enought info here to give you and as said if you dont like it ask him to leave.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds