feeding ducklings

More
12 years 6 months ago #29899 by LESLEYH
feeding ducklings was created by LESLEYH
Hi, I have hatched out some pekin ducklings under my chook. Have had a few problems as it appears that the egg shells were too hard. I presume if the ducks hatch them they dampen the eggs? anyway any suggestions on what I feed them? I have the usual standard poultry feed (chicken crumbles etc) but thought they may need something special or a dampened feed. Thanks

LESLEY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #404297 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic feeding ducklings
Yes, Chick Starter Crumbles (serve dry, with a water conatiner nearby), then soon followed by Meat Bird Crumbles, as ducklings grow soooo fast, that they need the high protein feed. If you serve the crumbles wet, the ducklings will just throw it everywhere (learnt from bitter and elbow breaking experience), so I serve it dry and just ensure that the water container/reservour is frequently topped up. It works a treat with goslings as well. Way less food wastage and window cleaning. (don't ask!!!!)

Make sure that you get a water container that is shallow, but narrow enough so they can't swim in it. It also need to be heavy enough so they can't tip it over. One of those reservour type plastic drinking things for poultry, works well. They come in a multitude of sizes.

(Please excuse the spelling, I can't be bothered trying to find the dictionary) ;)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
12 years 6 months ago #404352 by Edith McGhee
Replied by Edith McGhee on topic feeding ducklings
Cat bisccuits are excellent they are high in protein soaked in water. Then put through the blender. Our duckling loves them and they are cheap to buy. Any brand is ok from supermarket.

More
12 years 6 months ago #404358 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic feeding ducklings
I have been left with 7 ducklings to hand rear - their mother took one look at them, took them to the pond and left them to it, Wouldn't have anything more to do with them! They are still very small, hatched Friday, and so can get out fo the large cat cage, and so are in a small cat cage. However, to feed them, four times a day, I take them out and put them in a large cardboard box. There they can mess to their hearts' content with no mess on the floor or walls or anywhere else. We've been down this road before and know what a mess they make. They have water ad lib the rest of the time, from a narrow jar, about 3 inches high. Thye can't get in, but can get their heads in. Do you think I can put them outside during the day in their cage - am working on making the larger cage duckling proof in a sheltered spot, bringing them in at night. Or, could I put them in with my bunnies - have done this before and all worked well, but there were 5 buns and one duckling, this time it would be 2 buns and 7 ducklings, until they were big enough to go in their own house.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds