Life does go on...........

More
12 years 4 months ago #29890 by spoook
One of our cows calved on Friday, to cut a long story short, mum would not accept it. We tried penning them but no maternal instinct kicked in so....... we left them to it hoping no human interference would let nature take it's course.
Next morning, no sign of the mum having even visited the calf. At this point my concern was for the colostrum so, having brought some from home, the little calf had her first feed.
She took to the teat without any hesitation and it was all gone so fast.

We brought all the cattle in, penned them, gave mum another chance, she did not even sniff the poor little thing.
Decision made, home she came.

She was put into the boot (I have a 5 door sedan) and we put the seats down. I laid in the boot with her with my head resting on the back of the folded seat whilst Suki, my dog, sat in the passenger seat besides me.
Shame L could not take pictures as he was driving, Suki was sleeping with her head right by mine, the calf was sleeping with her head on my tummy and I was trying to sleep to survive the trip home jammed in the boot laying on the tools and stuff in my boot (time for a clean out[;)])

She is the most beautiful little red/ white face, in immaculate condition, been licked clean but not loved enough by mum to accept the full responsibility of motherhood.
Shiny coat and perfectly clean white markings.

This was how we found her next morning

Here she is in the safety and warmth of the goat shed

... and here, to show how easy she has taken to the bottle

So, having lost Kang on Wednesday and being given this little treasure on Friday, yes, life does go on.............................

BTW, she needs a name.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #404212 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Life does go on...........
Awwwww Spook ...funny how things go ah ...we had Elizabeef calve twins and semi reject the wee girl ..the very next night Cocoa Bean (Elizabeef's younger sister ...both are Paula's daughters) anyway ..Cocoa had a huge still born bull calf on the ground the very next morning ...our long story short is i still have two happy Mums with a baby each :D ...sadly I have sold the girls :( but friend and dairy farmer Jenny has bought them for her beefie odds and sods :) so they have a forever home where I can see them and now with no cows I can keep MORE sheep :D [^]

Anyway ...that precious sweet baby of yours looks like a *Betty Boop* to me ...or should that be Betty Boot[:0][;)]

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 4 months ago #404214 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Life does go on...........
Oh spoook, sorry to hear you lost Kang :( - he must of been a good age.

Funny how Mother Nature acts sometimes.

More
12 years 4 months ago #404221 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Life does go on...........
So you have another babe to care for !

So frusrating when there is a pefectly healthy mother with milk to spare! A farmer once told me to put a dog in the yard with a cow that won't take her calf and her protective instincts will kick in and she will protect the calf and respond to it!

Funny she cleaned it up so well but then ignored it. Did you have a race to confine her in so you could have attached calf to the teat?
Was she a heife?- I find they often take a bit of convincing what motherhood is all about, and it is not until the calf actually sucks and the hormones flow, induced by the sucking process, that they realise that is what they are meant to do.
Hormones are responsible for an awful lot of things, good and bad!! ;-)

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 4 months ago #404223 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Life does go on...........
Yes, Sue..... another mouth to feed [:0]. This one is a lot bigger and takes far less time.[;)] As if I had time I could spare and needed another addition to my daily schedule.:( Never mind I will fit it in, if I can't, L will take up the slack. He's like that [:I] we work in well together, you have to in this chosen lifestyle.

We did confine her in the yards but she was as mad as a meat axe and was determined to get out even if it meant leaping the tall gate or rails.
I think getting her in the crush and trying to put the calf on would have resulted in some swift kicking to all parties. (L already got a very sharp kick from another cow that did not appreciate the interruption to her daily routine.)
We had her in there twice, neither time did she show any move to caring or protecting the calf.

She is taking her feeds well, no mucking around, straight on and down. Looking for more but I will gradually increase from the 500mls she is getting frequently. She is only a newborn after all [;)].

More
12 years 4 months ago #404224 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Life does go on...........
Awww, yep, one lost another gained. Glad she has you as her 'mummy'. She's in the best hands!

Yakut

More
12 years 4 months ago #404229 by LongRidge
Sue, it's not just heifers that as "first-birthers" won't let their new-born suckle. We've had to teach ewes, goats and a donkey that if they let the baby suckle then the painful udder becomes less painful. I cannot remember a previous mother not allowing a new-born to suckle when the baby is very young, but some won't let babies that bite have more than a couple of feeds. We did have a bull calf that absolutely refused to suckle from an udder but was really easy to get onto a bottle ...
spoook, I hope that cow is going elsewhere, preferably OE .......

More
12 years 4 months ago #404232 by stephclark
ahh spook she realy is a fine looking little one..they are so lovely at that age its easy to find time to look after them...

we picked up our last weaner for the year on saturday.. and even at 3 months hes sweet..runs up to us in the paddock ( looking for bottle ) and loves bum scratches.. it wont last of course now hes in with the others but we had a 'cute' weekend playing with him anyway

More
12 years 4 months ago #404393 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Life does go on...........
She has a name ............. Rustie. Had to be didn't it. [;)]

BTW Happy birthday Rustie (off LSB) [:I]

More
12 years 4 months ago #404407 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Life does go on...........
You are awesome Spook. What a lucky wee mite to have you in her life.

More
12 years 4 months ago #404435 by Kiwismum
Replied by Kiwismum on topic Life does go on...........
Olivia or ollie for short as she is an orphan - oliver twist:)

well done on your rescue

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds