Hen and lice dilemma!

More
12 years 4 months ago #29830 by Finn McCool
Hi everyone,

I have a hen who had been sitting on imaginary eggs for a while so I took pity on her and took some eggs off a hen who I discovered nesting on the roof of my shed (17 eggs!). I put her in a rabbit hutch and she's been there about a week. Yesterday when I checked on her I could see hundreds of lice crawling on her and she was looking very pale, shortly after that I noticed her eating so I went to check the eggs and they were starting to hatch.

So my question to all you knowledgable people out there is which is the best way to treat them? When I first spotted her I hoped I could put the powder that I have on her because I was hoping the eggs were a few days off hatching but now they're hatching and I have read that the powder is too toxic for the chicks.[xx(]

I tried yesterday to get some eprinex or simular but had no luck but I'll keep trying this morning.

My other job will be trying to get the other chicks from the roof (assuming they're hatching) before they plummet to their death! :eek:

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #403713 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Hen and lice dilemma!
A dusting with Diatomacous earth will have some effect. I have also heard that a light dusting with Nutmeg powder works to (old witches tale that I haven't tried).

But most effective is using the drench.

Clean out the nest and add clean wood shavings.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 4 months ago #403729 by Edith McGhee
Replied by Edith McGhee on topic Hen and lice dilemma!
5 drops of tea tree oil diluted with 500ml water is excellent this all I use. It is natural and has no harm to hen or babies. Can also spray around inside of nesting box and laying boxes,perches etc.

More
12 years 4 months ago #403730 by Edith McGhee
Replied by Edith McGhee on topic Hen and lice dilemma!
Just spray under wings and on hens back. keep away from head.

More
12 years 4 months ago #403779 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Hen and lice dilemma!
Good idea about the tea tree oil - we bought some in Aussie, so must try it. Always preferable to use a natural remedy I think, especially if you get good results.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
12 years 4 months ago #403781 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Hen and lice dilemma!
I wouldn't use tee tree oil on a hen with chicks personally. The wee ones climb all over, under and through the hen and will in all probability get the stuff in their eyes and it stings.
You can dust mum now just use sparingly - dust vent and under wings- don't dust the chicks they will get enough from mum. Change all the bedding in the nest box.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds