Boner cattle?

More
12 years 4 months ago #29750 by sundaysbest
Boner cattle? was created by sundaysbest
Hey there, I always thought Boner cattle or steers were basically dog meat? Old aged beef yes?? Worth, not alot, despite being huge and old. Well tonight I read in the local rag, they are fetching $1250.00.... am I seeing things? Or is this "boner" cattle thing... something different and infact, not dog food???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #402939 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Boner cattle?
They go as manufacturing beef, i.e. mince. If they're big animals in good condition and the schedule's high, they could fetch quite good prices!

More
12 years 4 months ago #402941 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Boner cattle?
And at the moment everything seems to be fetching a high price!

More
12 years 4 months ago #402942 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Boner cattle?
Yes, that is true Anne, hence our interest!!! High prices!!! But, I had always thought they were tucker, not mince!!! Thanks for clearing that up!

More
12 years 4 months ago #402961 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Boner cattle?
They go for mince, luncheon sausage, pie filling, oxo cubes...

Anything that is not recognisable as part of a cow after being fed in a machine and spat out the other end...

on a cents-per-kilo basis, the more kilos you have the more cents you get... I'd guess those $1250 cows were old big beef breeder cows that got the chop from a farm for being too old to spit out another calf reliably... not scrawny skin and bones jersey culls.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 4 months ago #402982 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Boner cattle?
Whilst I tend to agree with your definition kiwi303, with todays prices a large Freisan-and ye,s she probably would be a boney animal- could easily be worth $1250.

The beef cows are more likely to go (Prime) or even T(trimmer) if they are in good condition and return even more.

The classing is based on meat and fat cover and true 'boners' usually are fairly skinny dairy cows and are classed M for manufacturing-which goes in to all the things mentioned. Dog food tends to be the offall, trims, perhaps even the culls and dead like slinks-dead calves and lambs-as all the dog meat is cooked.

There are very few huge and 'old' steers around-they are worth megabucks! Had a neighbour who sent an 800+kg 3 year old steer to the works last month, he got $1967 for him!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 4 months ago #402993 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Boner cattle?
No beef in Oxo cubes (unless they've changed the formula since I helped to make them, which I doubt because that would require the factory to be licenced and inspected as a Meat Packing plant). The meat flavour is Vegemite.

More
12 years 4 months ago #403006 by robbie88
Replied by robbie88 on topic Boner cattle?
As a matter of interest our homekill guy will do sausages, mince, patties and salami using meat from an old cow.

Rob

More
12 years 4 months ago #403011 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Boner cattle?

No beef in Oxo cubes (unless they've changed the formula since I helped to make them, which I doubt because that would require the factory to be licenced and inspected as a Meat Packing plant). The meat flavour is Vegemite.

Vegemite is yeast extract anyway-not meat!
Ermm, not sure that is right LR, here is the ingredient list for Oxo Ingredients. I'm sure the beef extract is bought/made from wherever they have the beef- and cooked. They don't make Oxo at the meat packing plant. It is only 'extract' after all!

Corn Syrup Solids
Salt
Monosodium Glutamate
Autolyzed Yeast Extract
Colour
Seasoning
Onion Powder
Modified Corn Starch
Lactic Acid
Vegetable Oil
Maltodextrin
Disodium Guanylate
Disodium Inosinate
Beef Extract
Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil
Spices

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 4 months ago #403026 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Boner cattle?
I stand corrected. Thanks :-)
Those darned Aussies have changed the formula quite a lot since I helped make them in Christchurch.

More
12 years 4 months ago #403039 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic Boner cattle?
Many years ago (back in the mid-sixties) I worked several seasons at a meatworks.
One of the highly paid jobs there was 'boning'. The 'boners' worked on contract - they had a daily quota of beef quarters to 'bone' and then they went home. (Which was usually about 2pm).
It was the common belief at the time that the 'boner beef' was anything that couldn't be graded as prime - old cows, mainly.
I was also led to believe that at that time (bearing in mind that hamburgers were virtually an unknown thing in NZ) that the boxes of frozen boned beef were exported to the US. for the production of hamburger patties.
I'm not saying, however, that that's what happens today.

Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds