Guniea Fowl under Bantam?

More
12 years 5 months ago #29744 by thevarneys
Just saw some Guniea Fowl eggs on tm. Do you think a bantam would sit on 6? Are they similar enough to hens for a bantam to be able to raise them?

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402899 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Guniea Fowl under Bantam?
Yes and yes. You like a lot of noise? Guinea Fowl are cute looking, but that whole rusty bicycle racket got old quite quickly. I like quiet. :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #402900 by edster951
Replied by edster951 on topic Guniea Fowl under Bantam?
we have two guinea fowl and think they are cool......damn ugly but cool. We don't mind them talking loadly when they "are on watch duty"...

Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

More
12 years 5 months ago #402951 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Guniea Fowl under Bantam?
Bantams will hatch and look after anything they hatch out. May sure the keats are confined though. They aren't blessed with much intelligence.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402954 by thevarneys
Thanks guys! in talking with a few people most agree they are dumb and noisy. I have bought the eggs and will pick them up tomorrow!
The bantam will be confined in a cage with run, then once they are older will be in the orchard with the rest of the poultry, then the plan is to let then roam to eat the ticks and bugs. I quite like the idea of permaculture, using nature for its job basically, and I hear you can eat them and the eggs! :D My daughter is coveting the feathers! Will let you know how they turn out.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402994 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Guniea Fowl under Bantam?
Hi TheVarney
we can swap experiences with dumb and noisy :D - we have 1 dozen under a standard hen right now, expect them to hatch Sunday - all things going well!

we were told to keep the keats from getting wet until they have the first feathers. apparently, the first few days, they are not quite hardy yet:rolleyes:

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 5 months ago #403090 by thevarneys
Cool. I just put 6 under out bantam tonight. The sellers of the eggs wrote on the box 28 days hatching? So I didnt put under 2 bantam eggs as well, as they would be 21.

More
12 years 5 months ago #403166 by Eggville
Replied by Eggville on topic Guniea Fowl under Bantam?
I hatched 8 Guinea Fowl keats and two bantam chicks under a bantam last month. I added the bantam eggs after she had been sitting for 5 days and they all hatched over a couple of days. Six of the keats are Lavender and two are Pearl. Parents are both Lavender so must be carrying the Pearl gene.

I have some more eggs under a hen and one of the Guinea Fowl hens is sitting on a nest of 17 eggs in the hedge. Both lots are due around the 20th December.

"You don't know what you don't know"

More
12 years 5 months ago #403291 by Blueberry
ok, so 5 guinea fowl hatched on Friday. we left the other eggs until Sunday, then changed the nesting and checked the eggs; one didn't make it out of the shell, the other 6 eggs were empty :( :( .
but the live 5 ones - good grief! first thing they did; walk through the chicken wire like it wasn't there, stressing out mum (and me!!) until we realised that as easily as they climed out, they climbed in again. they just weren't content with the size of their dedicated area, apparently[8D] :D .
Since the hatching setup is in the enclosed orchard, there was no risk of predators or other fowl to the keats. Nevertheless, hubby found a wire mesh of a smaller size and fashioned a band around the hut, so that put paid to the little escape artists.
with only 5 keats to look after, I decided mum was not properly occupied, and called a friend of a friend who has a hatchery, and got my hands on 10 more several day old chicks, which we snuck under the hen last night. Bliss!!

[;)] Blueberry

More
12 years 5 months ago #403292 by brtscc
Replied by brtscc on topic Guniea Fowl under Bantam?
I have 19 GF and can confirm that they are pretty (VERY) noisy - but they seem to get better when they get older - if you can wait about a year with earplugs for yourself and the neighbours...

But they live around and in my barn, so I have the BEST alarm - if anyone goes near the place at night - there is a racket that would drive away the most determined burglar. Of course if a cat gets in there - I also get the alarm...

They are pretty useless mothers themselves, and we have had both chickens and ducks raise GF.

Ugly heads - beautiful feathers - nature compensating? Very funny to watch how they deal with danger.

More
12 years 5 months ago #403304 by Blueberry
i now live in hope that they will go forth and multiply[8D]:o :D [:I] :D :D

[;)] Blueberry

More
12 years 5 months ago #403325 by missab
Replied by missab on topic Guniea Fowl under Bantam?
haha wow so many on here are raising guinea fowl! i too have six eggs under a bantie and 11 under a hen all due on wednesday, i found the bantie much better than the hen for siting as the hen hopped off after two weeks so i grabbed another hen and she has taken over the duties so heres hoping that they are still viable

3 equines (brendon,bellissimo and mariah), 6 wiltshire ewes + 4 ram lambs, 1 mini goat (pinky),1 berkshire sow (penelope), 20 odd chickens,6 sebastopol goslings, 3 flemish giant rabbits(bones,bounce,moon), longhaired guinea pig(splish)1 mastif (auto), 2 chihuahuas (mia,seeka),1 maincoon cat...

More
12 years 5 months ago #403428 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Guniea Fowl under Bantam?
One of our neighbours has Guinea Fowl. We don't notice the noise a great deal as there is a thick hedge and they don't come through very often. A couple of turkeys wandered in from the same place a few months ago but I took them back home and they haven't returned so they must like it better on their own patch.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds