The perfect lifestyle block

More
11 years 11 months ago #424373 by igor
Replied by igor on topic The perfect lifestyle block
mch, I would not consider either of the properties mentioned in your post.
The first requires a lot of work to make it productive and the second is next to useless because it consists almost entirely of unuseable bushland.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424377 by Hawkspur

igor;422094 wrote: mch, I would not consider either of the properties mentioned in your post.
The first requires a lot of work to make it productive and the second is next to useless because it consists almost entirely of unuseable bushland.

I think that just demonstrates that there is no one ideal block. We all have different requirements and for some, "unusable bushland" is very desirable indeed.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424379 by igor
Yes Hawkspur, bushland is very nice to look at but one can not eat it. There would seem to be two distinct groups of actual and potential lsbers, those who want a flash house with a big lawn, and those, myself included, who require a piece of land on which to grow food for themselves and their family with the house being an incidental item. A house is, after all, merely a building to sleep in.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424380 by Hawkspur

igor;422101 wrote: Yes Hawkspur, bushland is very nice to look at but one can not eat it. There would seem to be two distinct groups of actual and potential lsbers, those who want a flash house with a big lawn, and those, myself included, who require a piece of land on which to grow food for themselves and their family with the house being an incidental item. A house is, after all, merely a building to sleep in.

I agree that there is more than one type of LSB owner, but I would not say that those not growing large stock are all lawn lovers!
I am regenerating native bush, see my land as providing fruit veg and an environment for native wildlife, plan no stock larger than rabbits or hens, if any, and would love to have a house to sleep in! :D

More
11 years 11 months ago #424387 by mch
Replied by mch on topic The perfect lifestyle block

igor;422094 wrote: mch, I would not consider either of the properties mentioned in your post.

I would disagree, the first has plenty of land for it to be 'productive' as you term it, the pics just don't do it justice and secondly the 'unusable' bushland is a treasure and many people like owning their own patch of bush. What you are getting is the most idyllic location possible, so close to town yet so far away.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424527 by topcat83
If we'd been looking to buy a lifestyle block we wouldn't have bought where we are. But it was an impulse buy! (we're famous for them)

We bought it for the house and view and it just happened to come with 13 Ha split into 5 Ha paddock and 8 Ha bush. Only one trouble - there's a load of covenanted bush between us and the far paddock. That wasn't initially a problem as we were going to rent the top paddock to the local farmer and just keep the garden.

10 alpacas (including 6 pregnant ones) 2 Pekin & 3 Muscovy ducks later....

Well, it's perfect for us!

Oh dear - this is addictive. Now up to 4 alpaca boys, 6 girls (3 pregnant ones), a beautiful cria, a quarter of a stud (I hope we get the dangly bits) and six more girls on the way. The sheep who thinks he's an alpaca goes to meet some new friends tomorrow, we're down to 1 rescue cat, but are still...

More
11 years 11 months ago #424535 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic The perfect lifestyle block
I think the main thing when buying the perfect lifestyle block is to ensure you are not paying more than you need to (don't believe the figures the agent will give you, they are engaged by the seller not the purchaser, you can do your own research at QV website) and ensure you undertake your due dilegence and have proper building inspections (not fred's great uncle's nephew etc.)

There is a neighbouring 10 acre property near us for sale that is:

1. $100,000 over priced, the agent is related to the owners (not declared in advertising) and has similar sized properties on the market all at $100K overpriced in the local area, so it looks really good in comparision.

2. No major outbuildings.

3. No one seems to understand what easement for water access means. What it may mean is you have a meter board that provides a pump to send water up to your property on someone else's property. if the electrical lines fail for any reason, its up to you to pay for repair/replacement.

The lines I know of were installed in the 1940's so you just know its any time now....

4. the property due to poor maintenance and rebuild work, is a leaking home. the current owners know about it, and would not rectify for the previous tenant. But they have repainted, its looks ok, but you would never guess the gib board in the ensuite isn't water proof.... its standard issue gib board.

5. Heating. The home I am thinking of has no form of heating at all.

More
11 years 10 months ago #426453 by Maree M
Replied by Maree M on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (acres) 25 acres
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) Elevated flats
3 Features (bush, river, views) Views to mount Ruapehu, No neighbours in view at all, just lush green countryside. Free draining loam soils.
4 Best things about my block:At the end of a 2km dead end road that only has 5 houses on it. 12 relatively even sized
paddocks which are now well fenced. Shelter trees now planted. Only 10 mins from town and work. Nice new pastures. Big gardens for me.
5 Worst things about my block:No natural water source - have easement off dam on neighbours property which is shared by three neighbours and gets yucky in summer as the level drops.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be:A well insulated home.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be:Commercial kitchen to prepare goods to sell in. Solar panels for hot water.
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be:No pylons, cellphone towers etc - had one on my property before this one and it was a nightmare for resale.

More
11 years 9 months ago #429882 by the old ram
G'day,before you start looking,figure out what the "end game is".Is it your intention to give away the "9 to 5" and produce an income? Doesn't matter what sort,what are your skills/dreams?....If you start out with a "clear vision" of whats required,it makes the "choosing" a lot easier in the "long run".

1 Size (acres)..For our sheep operation(fat lambs) min 300acs.
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc)...Undulating,with shelter timber on the ridges.
3 Features (bush, river, views)...Sufficient water storage(doesn't matter what sort)to get you through a "dry spell"and a "nice" outlook will not hurt.
4 Best things about my block:..I can "manage" it on my own with the help of my two dogs.
5 Worst things about my block: Serrated Tussock!
6 If I buy another block my �must haves� will be:At my age "a mental assessment"!
7 My �like to haves� will be:Getting the pension ,and keeping a "few" sheep for "fun".
8 My �must not haves� will be:To much work and to little time.

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
11 years 9 months ago #430110 by igor
Is that land sheep to the acre or acres to the sheep TOR?

More
11 years 9 months ago #430164 by the old ram
G'day,300 acs at say,1 1/2 breeders to the acre,(this would be considered av grazing country in Aussie)450 breeders.Say 100% turn-off at $100 per head=$45,000 gross,inputs at "say" $23,000=$22,000 nett......
Assuming a conservative output at the start, if you raise the output by say 30%,your nett will rise by almost the total amount,because all your "fixed " remain the same with only a "slight" rise in your "variables".................T.O.R.........

More
11 years 8 months ago #434250 by DawnGrange
1 Size (acres)5.5 acres
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc)some flatish areas - mostly hilly/steep
3 Features (bush, river, views) rural/sea views
4 Best things about my block: up high, lots of sunshine, plenty of room for development!
5 Worst things about my block: steep terrain is difficult to diversify - suitable mainly stock, gorse.
6 If I buy another block my �must haves� will be: flatter site, better fencing!
7 My �like to haves� will be: lots more land!
8 My �must not haves� will be: gorse!

More
11 years 8 months ago #434298 by kb1
Replied by kb1 on topic The perfect lifestyle block
We signed up for our 'Perfect Lifestyle Block' and waited 18 months for titles to issue only to have vendor cancel agreement (2 weeks prior to titles) and asked for another $55k. We bit the bullet, built a new house and have enjoyed every day on our new property since, as the sour taste slowly wained. The joy of turning into our 230m driveway has never waned, just should have made the move earlier!
In 3 years from purchase we have won the battle with blackberry and grand daddy gorse and now have 1 horse, 7 Alpaca and 1 dog.

More
11 years 7 months ago #434607 by Vino881
Replied by Vino881 on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (50)
2 Contour (rolling)
3 Features (mature trees)
4 Best things about my block:beautiful 1940 home
5 Worst things about my block:clay subsoil means it can get wet
6 If I buy another block my ?must haves? will be:never moving again, I am home
7 My ?like to haves? will be:quad, more land
8 My ?must not haves? will be: bad neighbours

More
11 years 4 months ago #445663 by wandering free
1 Size (acres) the most you can afford, you can always rent it off, leaving yourself a couple of acres, then you have control over what goes on around you.
2 Contour , flat to rolling
3 Features, must have good water supply and not clay.
4 Best things about my block: 30 odd years ago we started with a bare 2 acres with an old house that started life as a couple of army huts, and now it's got mature food producing trees and shrubs with irrigation to them all, also a good vegy garden with water supply, it's also got a shop within easy walking distance, and after hours of labor the house is comfortable, fully insulated and warm, just takes time unless you are rich which we're not.
5 Worst things about my block: Neighbors that burn rubbish when the wind is blowing my way.
6 If I buy another block my must haves will be: The same but smaller, 1 acre would be nice, but will just let the grass grow here, age takes it's toll on your back, something to think about if you want to retire on the place you buy.
7 My like to haves will be: Solar electricity and water heating, and a green economy with cycleways with no traffic, and time to see how my newly planted cider apples grow.
8 My must not haves will be: Sheep, or any large stock that trim trees.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds