The perfect lifestyle block

More
12 years 5 months ago #402865 by terralee
1 Size (acres) 18.5 (current) but will be downsizing when we move from here I think ...getting old!!!)
2 Contour (flat, steep,etc) Easy rolling, with some flat
3 Features (bush,river,views) Rural views over dairy farm land, with the Ruahine Ranges in the distance.Small steam through paddocks and established trees for shelter and firewood.
4 Best thing about my block: Amazing outbuildings including working 2 stand woolshed with good sheep yards, big 3 bay shed,smaller old milking shed and tractor shed plus a few other shed thingies :) . Cattle yards and loading ramp.
Summer safe area in green belt of dairy farms. Private and peaceful yet handy (ish) to town and central to most places. Good fences (standard and electric) great water supply from deep well plus rain water for house.
5 Worst thing about my block: Californian thistles ...but there does not appear many this year after 4 years of intensive war. Macracarpa trees which renders one big paddock as useless when the animals are pregnant. It can be very very windy here at times.
6 If I buy another block my 'must haves' will be .. a modern Lockwood house, stabling for horse and animals, plenty of shelter trees and post and rail fences[^] ..and flatish as we are not getting any younger[:I]
7 My like to haves will be: same as my must haves[:0] :D
8 My must not haves will be: Mud,bad fencing, unreliable water, run down house, garden too big to manage , lots of lawn,not enough sheds .....etc etc

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402889 by thevarneys
1 Size (acres) 5
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) flat and gentle slope
3 Features (bush, river, views) swamp/creek, views of high rugged hills, manuka
4 Best things about my block: has our house, fruit trees, garden, animals, not too steep, few totaras,
5 Worst things about my block: clay, gorse, rough pasture
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: shed, more land, bigger house
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: fully fenced/yards, pond, better soil, better grass
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: steep, isolated

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402891 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (acres) 10 acres
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) Half flat, half flat to rolling
3 Features (bush, river, views) views of the Waikato river (little bit) but great views of Mangatawhiri and Meremere.
4 Best things about my block: Ex dairy farm, good grass
5 Worst things about my block: weeds from brought in hay
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: Water, hay shed, stables, shelter belt with great fencing.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: Protected shade tree in the middle of each paddock, completely flat with post and rail, teeny bit of bush for my chooks.
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: More than a hand full of cars using my road per day, neighbours with boys who ride 2 stroke anything, neighbours who have guy fawkes celebrations, or shoot ducks, oh and no pine trees, buttercup, saleyard daisies, penny royal.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 5 months ago #402910 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic The perfect lifestyle block
This was fun...

1 Size (acres) 80+ acres
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) mixed
3 Features (bush, river, views) All
4 Best things about my block: privacy, bird song, views, bush, waterfalls AND the original owner broke it in, tracked and fenced it!!!
5 Worst things about my block: access to our land the other side of the stream is off a shared private road that is poorly maintained. Getting it re-graded therefore requires a significant effort in neighbourhood coordination.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: Too hard to think on that one - as so much yet to do here! :D , but I guess we'd never buy a property without some native bush.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: closed in porch for gumboots and raincoats; a fenced off house garden/paddock; perimeter deer fenced; grid tie minihydro; a romantic bach in an isolated part of the property, a heated swimming pool.
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: poor drainage - I can't imagine living with alot of mud.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402929 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic The perfect lifestyle block
I have not answered this so probably repeating BUT here goes:

Good quality bore water + connected to a trough in every paddock.
10 - 15 acres was great when I was younger but maybe 5 acres now.
Views to the North and no Pine trees anywhere near the place to block out all day sun.
Cattle yards and a BIG wooden barn that is fully enclosed with a concrete floor
A house with concrete floors and huge ranchsliders to let the sun pour in in Winter.
Bird life in the garden - especially tuis
Post and rail fences that have adjusters on the bottom wires to tighten them in Winter
A Ginko tree (just because I have always had one wherever I live)
Central race from all paddocks to handling facilities and the barn if used for housing in bad weather (perhaps a metal open face barn instead of enclosed barn)
Now - a relatively flat property on free draining soil.

No doubt there are many other things but that will do for starters. Laugh

More
12 years 5 months ago #402990 by Blueberry
1 Size (acres) 50
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) some flats, gullies, slopes
3 Features (bush, river, views) 4 'rivers', one through each gully, couple of wetlands, some slopes bush clad. Unbeatable, million dollar views over the Tasman Sea, and backwards to Mt Egmont
4 Best things about my block: privacy (500m driveway, through Macs, bush, down a gully, up the slope), house totally out of sight from the road. lots of native birdlife, seaview from house, conservatory, french doors in nearly every room in the house, just 30 mins into town, gravity water system over all paddocks, generally abundant water year round, great neighbours (mostly, anyway). Finally year round fresh produce yield.
5 Worst things about my block: bridge over front river dicey - could become expensive if it's washed away, fencing needs replacing, specially now we've got more sheep, VERY easy draining vulcanic ash. Previous owners burned EVERYTHING, and poured ashes into vege garden - some areas are still in flowers, 'cause vege just don't grow well there.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: established fruit trees and vege garden, smaller size, good views, abundant water
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: warmer climate, off grid
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: noisy, nosey neighbours

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 5 months ago #402997 by A Nasty Scar
1 Size (acres) 25
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) Flat
3 Features (bush, river, views) River around 75% of boundary, the odd native, two dams
4 Best things about my block: The above and postioned well for both our jobs, good soil
5 Worst things about my block: Small unfinished house, no shelter, floods
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: Finished house ! Hay barn, lots of trees
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: Bigger swimming pool, nicer river, smaller paddocks
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: Neighbours, crap soil

More
12 years 5 months ago #403008 by KiplingAngel
1 Size (acres) 2.5 - only a little block
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) 4 degree slope - so not too bad
3 Features (bush, river, views) bare block (Other than the blackberry bush) when we purchased it last year. We have a small stream on one boundary which needs some cleaning out... haven't got that far yet
4 Best things about my block: North facing, has a stream, quiet, and has a lovely feel to it.
5 Worst things about my block: I guess it would be the bunnies... the little buggers have been chewing on my fruit trees...again...
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: close to first block, not prone to flooding, good soil, an established shelter belt, North facing, access to water, good fencing.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: an existing outbuilding
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: Pines, chemical contamination from sprays like Roundup, barberry, privet.

More
12 years 5 months ago #403032 by UsBlacksheep1
1 Size (acres)2.5 acres (had 20acres-just as much work on 2.5!)

2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) on a slope

3 Features (bush, river, views)lovely views of the sea, farmland and ponds
4 Best things about my block:The view,the lay of the land(we dont get flooded), fantastic neighbours :D

5 Worst things about my block:Needs re fencing, road noise
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be:plenty of sheds, a larger house,alot less garden,more rural/isolated, broadband
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be:good fencing, chook sheds/large runs,stock yards
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be:huge gardens/lawns,Telecom building a huge receiver nearby that no one told you about!! [:(!]Fantastic for resale!road noise ie SHWY

back on lifestyle block..so excited!..
Still have a full on Jack Russell,a Bischon X, Lilly cat,our new cat Fudge ,max the horse cat,plus 14 Barnevelders....

More
12 years 5 months ago #403126 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (acres) 100 approx.
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) Mixed contour
3 Features (bush, river, views) Spring water, views, some native bush
4 Best things about my block: spring water, views, good soil to grow in

5 Worst things about my block: 1. living next door to a rural rental property that the developer/owners cannot afford to maintain, unable to sell, nor attract decent people for tenants, we have a pack of teenagers in there now. 2. odd shape - too near boundary fences most of the time and therefore neighbour noises really impact on us and stock. 3. Property in overall disrepair when we bought it as far as fencing, shedding, fertilizer history goes. Its taking longer than we thought to get it back up to scratch again.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: spring water, views, at least 500 acres square shaped away from all neighbours. Good fencing, good sheds. Good all weather access driveway. Good fertile soils.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: Established home paddock orchard and pretty garden.
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: Close neighbours or those in view (noise travels well), no neighbouring easements or ROWs. No ''low side'' properties.

More
12 years 5 months ago #403168 by blimeyvicki
1 Size (acres): 14 acres
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc): Dead flat
3 Features (bush, river, views) bush views of the Hunua Hills and nice paddocks, trees.
4 Best things about my block: Flat, 1km up private road, generally good neighbours. Gorgeous well established gardern and vege garden, loads of fruit trees. Pretty good fencing. Great size for us.
5 Worst things about my block: Tiny house and mud in the winter.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: A bigger modern house, easy access to water and good fencing. Location is important too.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: More shelter trees in the paddocks, more sheds (you can never have too many sheds), more internal fencing and some water for ducks and eeling etc
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be:Blackberry/gorse etc. Too isolated. No water to the paddocks. Poor fencing and no outbuildings.

More
12 years 5 months ago #403266 by Hintzashouse
Size (acres) 5 plus the Transit frontage we are allowed to treat as ours :)
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) Flat
3 Features (bush, river, views) Hawthorn hedging perimeter, own bore, the old overgrown orchard next door and all its wild plum trees and other fruit
4 Best things about my block: Hawthorn hedging - feels private - neighbours nearby but not in your face and not visible unless you go looking for them. Only 3 minutes to town.
5 Worst things about my block: Soil drainage. Cutting aforesaid hawthorn hedge and collecting the trimmings ..
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: Slight slope to improve aforesaid soil drainage. Good shelter belts.
7 My ‘like to haves’ . More ridgebacks. A proper stock shed and shearing area. Water piped to the two front paddocks. A tow behind paddock mower. Someone else who will clean out the chicken houses instead of me :(
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: No shelter for stock. Boggy ground. Visible neighbours.

More
12 years 5 months ago #403334 by pipjhall
1 Size (acres) 3
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) steep
3 Features (bush, river, views) mature native bush, stream, views, house site right on top of the hill
4 Best things about my block: Amazing 270 degree views, the forest, surrounded by vineyard country (yum yum), spring fed water troughs
5 Worst things about my block: A bit too small, especially as the bush takes up 1.5 of the 3 acres. The hills make it tough to get work done when trucks can't get up our drive and tractors slide around on the hillside.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: 10 acres, bush, water, views, a bit of flat land (but still want my house on top of a hill!). Better access for heavy machines and trucks, lifestock loading ramp, some pens, a flat area for a barn
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: ocean view
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: house on the flat or down in a valley. I need to have an outlook!

More
12 years 5 months ago #403415 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size 10 acres
2 Contour - rolling to steep with flat area
3 Features - valley view, kanuka patches
4 Best things about my block: excellent soil in the flat areas, no main road near by
5 Worst things about my block: the pines we have planted and the steep drive
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: excellent soil, a proportion of flats and no steep bits, no main road near by
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: a view, stream through property, own bore
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: Main road boundary, poor soil, area prone to flooding, fault line through property[xx(]

More
12 years 4 months ago #406699 by griev
Replied by griev on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size - 72ish acres
2 Contour - Steep to steeper with flats added via machinery
3 Features - awesome rock formations, minor forest
4 Best things about our block - No roadside boundary, awesome views of Lake Ellesmere and wind (we are off grid)
5 Worst things - lack of shelter trees, lousy fencing
6 If I We buy another block our 'must haves' will be - a stream, hilly with a few flat areas and wind
7 Must not haves - Poor soil, roadside boundary,

Let the sun shine on my solar panels[:)]

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds