The perfect lifestyle block

More
12 years 5 months ago #29738 by kate
What is the perfect lifestyle block? Probably something different for each of us. Mine is hilly, bush clad and full of big rocks [8D]

Many visitors here on lsb are planning to buy a lifestyle block and I'd like you all to help them by answering the following questions.

1 Size (acres)
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc)
3 Features (bush, river, views)
4 Best things about my block:
5 Worst things about my block:
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be:
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be:
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be:

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402815 by kate
Replied by kate on topic The perfect lifestyle block
For example, my responses would be

1 Size (acres) 220
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) One flattish area of about 15 acres the rest very steep with gullies.
3 Features (bush, river, views) 132 acre bush block with kiwi!
4 Best things about my block: The bush, the streams, the massive basalt rocks in the paddocks and that we’re off-grid.
5 Worst things about my block: Gorse, lack of all-weather tracks, inadequate fencing and some pretty impressive slips.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: Bush, rocks, off-grid and great broadband.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: Productive fruit and vegetable gardens, potential for hydro power generation, good fencing, water reticulation and sheds.
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: Pines!

Web Goddess

More
12 years 5 months ago #402823 by stephclark
1 Size (acres) 10 acres
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) dead flat
3 Features (bush, river, views) sheltered valley
4 Best things about my block: flat easy to work,fertile soil,sheltered from wind, good shelter trees for stock
5 Worst things about my block: flat, gets water logged in winter,nieghbours huge trees block afternoon sun
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: mix flat and rolling, fertile soil, well off road, no close neighbours, exactly what i have now except for the neighbours
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: view or pond
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: PINES PINES PINES

More
12 years 5 months ago #402826 by kate
Replied by kate on topic The perfect lifestyle block
I can see a pattern forming with the 'must not haves' already [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
12 years 5 months ago #402827 by igor
Replied by igor on topic The perfect lifestyle block
I like pines. Hee hee. Our block is a bit smaller than I'd like. Aren't they all?
1 Size (acres) about 3 acres effective grazing plus the buildings, gardens, etc.
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) some river flats that flood a bit, some rolling to very steep, some higher flats.
3 Features (bush, river, views) river boundary, views.
4 Best things about my block: it's close to my real job, the neighbours are mostly pretty good folk.
5 Worst things about my block: it's in three parts divided by a main road and someone else's block.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: good access, good water supply, good buildings, at least most of it not flood prone.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: all in one block, easy contour so all of it is cultivatable (is that a real word?) by tractor.
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: DOC for a neighbour, any sort of covenant restricting what I can do on my own land.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402831 by bevhawkins
1. 45 acres
2. flat, sloping and steep
3. Creek running on one boundary which feeds all paddocks, good shelter belt and huge forest on one boundary for riding in
4. Flat paddock are all around house so I can see my ponies :D
5. Hill paddocks only assessible by quad as they are far away and thats where I graze my Highlands :(
6. If I had another block, an arena would be nice with a bigger stable block
7. I would love an arena, and a couple more flat paddocks for more hay
8. Thistles, we have got on top of ours but I hate grubbing

More
12 years 5 months ago #402833 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic The perfect lifestyle block
Size: 11 acres

Contour: Flat

Features (bush, river, views): Lots of sub-divided paddocks, water race, two tree plantations (about quarter acre each) - one macrocarpa (investment) and one eucalypt (firewood), lots and lots of shelterbelt (pine and poplar), 250sqm tunnel house, 3-bay barn, granny flat. Views: rear neighbour is dairy farm, so view of paddocks for about 4km (Eyrewell forest after that) and huge irrigator. Would have view of mountains if you jumped up and down on the roof (our trees block the mountain views... and the ferocious winds).

Best things about my block: Being on our own bore with the most beautiful water, it's flat (easier to manage), being on mainish road (for roadside veg sales), the trees, great loam soil, the fencing and tree planting was already done when we bought it, not too far from ChCh (34km to city centre and 17km to outskirts), in-ground swimming pool (the boys swim every day in summer) and in-ground trampoline (can't fall off or blow away).

Worst things about my block: Gets very dry in summer, trees and bushes need topping and trimming (the previous owners put in formal hedges).

If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: Trees (preferably of the low maintenance type), plenty of internal fencing. barn..

My ‘like to haves’ will be: Lake and/or stream, mature fruit trees/proper orchard, cable broadband (we have wireless), maybe a wee hillock would be nice.

My ‘must not haves’ will be: Close to neighbours (ours are both out of sight with at least 300m between our house and theirs). We have lovely neighbours on one side and don't really know the ones on t'other, but I do like to pop out to the washing line in the nuddy if I'm short of knickers and be able to get changed without closing the curtains.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 5 months ago #402836 by ngeorge
Replied by ngeorge on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (acres) 15 acres
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) in a valley with 6 separate paddocks flattish in the middle rising to hilly at the edges.
3 Features (bush, river, views) two wonderful year-round streams that go down the middle. Deer fencing (in when we bought the place). 5 minutes to town, but in a neighbourhood of lifestyle blocks with good neighbours. Combination paddocks and small area of bush along the streams. Protected from wind by surrounding hills.
4 Best things about my block: established fences, established grass, big shed
5 Worst things about my block: clay soil gets really muddy and pugged in winter
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: same as this one
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: more sheds (you can never have too many!)
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: anything very different from what we have here

Nancy

More
12 years 5 months ago #402837 by stephclark
oh oh .. can i add a pool pleeeese..a realy realy must have on next block.. :D

More
12 years 5 months ago #402841 by Topcat
Replied by Topcat on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (acres) 26
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) gently rolling to steep
3 Features (bush, river, views) native, views, private
4 Best things about my block: has a scruby gully for the pigs, has a good sized pine block (we own a logging company) amazing neighbours, lovely veiws, good features like sheads and fences is quite well established
5 Worst things about my block: there is some gorse, clay soil
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: privacy, good views, shelter
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: more time, less scrub and extra bedroom on the house
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: un-friendly and un-helpful neighbours! ponds at this stage as have little people. Wouldnt like to live in a bog hole either

More
12 years 5 months ago #402848 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic The perfect lifestyle block

stephclark;398345 wrote: oh oh .. can i add a pool pleeeese..a realy realy must have on next block.. :D

Pools are great if you have He Who is Proud of his Pool and Will Keep it Clean above all other chores. Or rent a pool boy. Left to me, ours would probably turn green.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
12 years 5 months ago #402851 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (acres) 5
2 Contour flat/ gently rolling to steep
3 Features native bush/trees,stream/ great views, Own Bore/private/1 neighbour
4 Best things about my block: Private/mostly good fencesbore/anything grows here
5 Worst things about my block: blackberry (but starting to get on top of it !)
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: more flat land/privacy, established trees, good views/more shed/s
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: more shed/s, an extra room or sleepout
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: close neighbours/shared driveway/water

More
12 years 5 months ago #402855 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (acres): 240
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc): flat, steep, etc. [;)] big flats, some hills, mostly steepish sides, water seeping out everywhere.
3 Features (bush, river, views): Mature native bush, recovering native bush, pristine spring-fed stream from away up in the bush-clad hills.
4 Best things about my block: streams and bush and that it's ours, not the bank's!
5 Worst things about my block: deep cattle-trapping gullies on the slopes, ever-growing scrub and gorse.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: a huge amount of money to move anywhere else; have never thought of buying anything else. If we had to move from here, it would be because of some dreadful development which necessitated a complete change of life.
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be:
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: My don't-likes are Pines. They're noisy and not native and look wrong!

More
12 years 5 months ago #402858 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic The perfect lifestyle block
1 Size (acres) - 10 acres (current, not my ideal!)
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) - some flat & rolling
3 Features (bush, river, views) - native bush, stream & dam, quiet & private
4 Best things about my block: the round pen & yards! The gardens & views are pretty spectacular too.
5 Worst things about my block: CLAY! [}:)] Wet bog in winter & cracked ground & drought in summer.
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: more land!! 100-200 acres would be perfect!
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: water access for the husband's boat
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be: high endophyte rye & clover pasture (grass affected horses :rolleyes:), pugged ground, carrot weed & buttercup!

More
12 years 5 months ago #402859 by Stikkibeek
1 Size (acres) 200
2 Contour (flat, steep, etc) Fertile river flats and easy hills
3 Features (bush, river, views) Mountain range, river flats
4 Best things about my block: Versatility summer grazing, massive swamp kauri logs waiting recovery, excellent orchard and garden
5 Worst things about my block: The hills are wet in winter due to sandstone pan, gorse, wild raspberry, flooding from time to time on the flats
6 If I buy another block my ‘must haves’ will be: Modern house with all amenities
7 My ‘like to haves’ will be: Decent stock yards and a small dairy herd (for rearing calves) & Pine trees
8 My ‘must not haves’ will be:gorse blackberry, wild raspberries.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds