some house cow questions

More
12 years 6 months ago #29672 by scottie
Hi, after months of planning and bail building and training and waiting, I am finally at the "milking". And now that it's not just theoretical I have some specific questions to ask.

I am milking a dexter heifer (so it's all new to both of us) and sharing the milk with the calf. He gets put away at night and I milk in the morning. The calf is three and a half weeks old and I have been milking for about 10 days, but am still getting the hang of it.

The cow has quite small teats so I am using the stripping method (is that ok)and getting faster gradually, but it is still taking about half an hour to get 2 litres.

This morning I emptied out two quarters fully and left the remaining two for the calf. I would like to take more than this if I can speed it up a bit. I am assuming I need to leave one quarter for the calfs breakfast??? What would happen if I emptied all 4 quarters? Would that be taking too much?

If I leave him a quarter should it be a different one each day? Or could I always leave him the one I find more difficult to milk (the one with an extra hole half way up)

Do I need to sterilise the milking bucket (stainless) or is a good hot soap and water enough?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #402127 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic some house cow questions
An extra hole in the teat? What a nuisance!

Soap/detergent & water are fine.

Strip milking is ok, our cow gets a mix of the two methods, maybe use salve if things get a bit dry.

Calf should get enough during the day even if you milk her right out! Especially if you're only taking a couple of litres. How much will she give you?

More
12 years 6 months ago #402128 by igor
Replied by igor on topic some house cow questions
I am in the habit of milking all four quarters out completely every day. If you don't there is a risk of mastitis developing. They soon fill up again.
I hand milked all last season, weaning the calf at nine and a half weeks, and the most I got at any one time was two gallons (this was the cow's first season). It was taking up to an hour to milk. This season I have a machine. This year's calf is now five weeks old and still running with the cow all the time. I have been getting a little over two gallons per day milking once a day in the evening. Production is dropping a little now as the calf grows bigger and drinks more. Soon I will need to start seperating him from the cow through the day. My cow is a Jersey. I have read that Dexters generally give less milk than a good Jersey, indeed one author related his experience of a Dexter cow that gave less than a good goat, but don't let that put you off if you like Dexters. Expect your cow to produce more in her second and subsequent seasons.
I rinse the milking machine and it's bucket with hot water each day after milking and hot wash with either dish detergent or washing soda about once a week or when it looks like it needs it. If I had more than one cow I would be more particular about cleanliness to reduce the risk of cross infection between cows.
How does your cow come to have an extra hole in one of her teats?

More
12 years 6 months ago #402148 by scottie
Replied by scottie on topic some house cow questions
I think the extra hole is actually a fifth teat that has not quite formed. there is definitely a lump near the top of the fourth teat that feels like the end of another one. A vet friend was not suprised at all when I told her and said that they are often bigger than that and chopped off early. It's not really a problem, I just have to use a certain hand position so it doesn't get in the way, and the hole is not as big as the one in the end of the proper teat.

More
12 years 6 months ago #402149 by scottie
Replied by scottie on topic some house cow questions
oh and I've read that dexters can give 8-10 litres per day. At this stage I am hoping for about 4 litres. And some might say I'd be better off with a goat, but I don't like goats' milk.

More
12 years 6 months ago #402161 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic some house cow questions
I see that I was wise to design and build my own housecow! We chose teat length, milking speed, udder shape ... :D

More
12 years 6 months ago #402195 by Iniuk
Replied by Iniuk on topic some house cow questions
When I did the cow thing, like Igor, I used to let the calf run with the cow and milk the cow out twice a day. (I like milking house cows. Always have, took it over when i married a farm worker.) After a bit I would separate him at night, and got much more in the morning milking.
Now I have goats. The better the nutrition the better their milk tastes. There is really too much milk between 4 and 5 litres daily more thana year after they kidded. AND I can fit 3 goats in the back of my little car. Can't do that even with Dexters.

More
12 years 6 months ago #402221 by igor
Replied by igor on topic some house cow questions
Another thing that makes goats easier than cows is that you can clean up their poo with a rake.
I milk the cow in the evening because it fits better with my fulltime job than morning milking. I milked twice a day for a few weeks at the beginning of last season but found that it was too much of a rush to get to work on time.

More
12 years 6 months ago #402319 by edster951
Replied by edster951 on topic some house cow questions
At the start I was like you scottie.....you could have almost been writing about me.

This is my second year milking my housecow. I can milk out 12-18 litres, feed the calves and lambs in just under 30 minutes.

At the start of the season, or the first 4 months I milked twice a day, getting the 12-16 litres each milking. Now I have cut her back to once a day as I runnung out of grass and had too much milk. Now she quite happily gets milked once a day in the morning, still getting 12-16 litres.

Her milk is then given to calves that I rear to 12 weeks of age and pass on. When the calves are fed once a day after 5-6 weeks I get the next batch of calves. We get three at a time. Helps "fund" the next seasons hay/baleage/calves/freezer.

Keep at it. Milking is a great time to relax and have "you" time to wind down. It's always a great pleasure looking back at your cow seeing her stand with her eyes closed chewing her cud while you milk. I thiink it's a privilage they let us milk them, and I treat it as such.

Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

More
12 years 6 months ago #402365 by Horsey chick
Hi, In answer to your other question, I don't see why you couldn't leave the extra holed teat for the calf to feed out of, if you've emptied the other 3 then I'm sure calfy will empty the difficult one. Yes it is a very common thing for a cow to have a teat like that, when I chose our housecows (as 4 day old calves) I checked their teats to look uniform and to only have 4.
We also have 2 housecows (one is at the farm visiting the bull ATM) and I lock the calves in a pen at around 9am, milk after the school bus run and let the calves finish her off. I only take about 2-2.5 litres as thats what we go through, it always stays fresh then and our cows have 2 calves on them each, so the calves need the rest anyway.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds