A I

More
12 years 5 months ago #402984 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic A I
I found his portrait in my hoard of Murray Grey magazine back numbers too. He is an NZ bred bull, by a Canadian sire and was sold to an Australian syndicate for $25,000.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/398507=9223-Image (48).jpg[/img]

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402985 by CEW79
Replied by CEW79 on topic A I
Wow that's great, thanks for you help. He looks like a great guy! :D If we are successful with the AI & my girls are pregnant, what are the offspring likely to look like? I've loaded a picture of one of the girls above and my other heifer is brown/tiger & white.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402989 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic A I
They will be somewhere between silver white and dark brown :-)
We have only had one cow that consistently gave the colour that we wanted (red with white head), and she was a black Friesian. I think that the colour depends not only on the sire and the dam, but also on what the animals have been eating and the mineral status. It is very noticeable with the donkeys - one year all the foals from different coloured mothers are all the same colour, and the next year they are all a different colour.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402995 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic A I
His birthweight EBV is above the breed average, and his calving ease figures are worse than the average: if your heifers are pregnant, you will have to feed them evenly, ensuring they don't get any fatter and that you don't underfeed them either. If they come back on heat, I'd be inclined to select a bull with slightly different EBVs for birth weight and calving ease. MG is a good choice, but I'd be a little cautious about that particular bull, looking only at his figures.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402996 by Sue
Well for starters they will be polled (no horns) and they will most likely be a shade of brown, between dun and black. Unlikely to be silver as this bull is recorded as Light Grey-which is a sort of milk chocolate colour. The brown tiger and white heifer sounds as though she is a jersey- hereford cross, so she will probabably be grey/brown with a white head or at least a speckled face.

Colour is inherited, some colours being dominant and othere recessive-so it is a luck of the genetic draw, however with pure breeds, when the colour genes are known it is more easy to predict. The feed and mineral status only influences the degree of intensity of the colour-not whether for instance an animal gets a white face etc.

What colour was the girl you thought you posted a photo of? Murray Grey over black will give dark grey to black, not silver.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 5 months ago #403010 by CEW79
Here's both my girls:
Black Eyed Pea (Pea)

www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/attachme...4&stc=1&d=1322785216

Barbie (She was destined for the BBQ [:I]). She is not Hereford/Jersey. They are both Hereford/Fresian

www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/attachme...5&stc=1&d=1322785264

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
12 years 5 months ago #403012 by Sue
Well I'll predict the calves will be brown (grey!) or black with white faces and possibly white socks! I think the tiger striping (brindle) gene comes from Jersey-and some Bos Indicus (Brahman) breeds so I suspect the fresian dam also had a bit of Jersey?!

Sue

More
12 years 4 months ago #406465 by CEW79
Just an update. It's been about 5-6 weeks since AI ing and haven't noticed either of the girls displaying any 'on heat' signals so here's hoping we've had 100% strike :D :D

More
12 years 4 months ago #406470 by Ruth
Cool! Get past seven weeks and then maybe you can uncross your toes...

More
12 years 4 months ago #406475 by Sue
Yes, good news, but as Ruth says-wait another week!
My cow just got served again on 28th Dec, after being served on 26th November which is 4 .5 weeks on my reckoning ;-(

Sue

More
12 years 4 months ago #406481 by Ruth
Six week returns are reasonably common. I believe it's due to a very early pregnancy failing and the cow then returns to oestrus after one missed cycle. They're a pain, when you think the cow is settled, then discover she's going to be later calving than you thought.

More
12 years 4 months ago #406486 by CEW79
Oh well will keep those fingers and toes crossed and keep watching them :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #437010 by CEW79
Just an update. Last week we had the birth of our first Calf. Born to our cow Black Eyed Pea. We had 50% success rate with the AI. Barbie the brown heifer was empty.

Can't seem to upload picture of the calf, a wee girl. (Very annoying) [:I]

Birth went extremely well. The neighbours rang to say they could see it happening and by the time I got down the paddock the calf was already born. Bit sad to miss the event :( . But mother and baby are doing really well and so that is great :D :D

So the sire was Matai Waterloo (Murray Grey) and mother black and white and the calf is a very orangey brown colour with white face and a white dot on the end of her tail. Amazing colour, not at all what I expected from a black mother.

So now any ideas for a name. It has to start with a B, because all stock born on the property were A last year (our first year of births) and B this year.

More
11 years 8 months ago #437018 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic A I
ON the subject of AI, does anyone know a good technician in the Southern Auckland/Papakura/Franklin or surrounds area, to inseminate a jersey 3yo maiden cow?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 8 months ago #437023 by Ruth
Excellent. I used to buy three straws for every two cows, figuring I'd need to do someone twice. When I got better at heat detection and insemination, I cut it down to 5 straws for 4 cows. I'll be putting my self to the test again this year, having bought and been given some semen!:)

What will happen to your empty cow? Does she get another go this year? Did you have her vet checked, or did she just obviously start cycling again?

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds