A I

More
12 years 6 months ago #401942 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic A I
LR, you comment on "easy calving" bulls and how accurate the figures are.
Remember it takes both a cow and a bull to make a calf and the breed, size, genetic history and feeding during pregnancy of the cow can also influence calf size and ease of calving.

The accuracy %age of the "ease of calving" index can also indicate how much reliability you can put on that trait. If the bull has already had a lot of calves and the ease of calving recorded, then his accuracy will be a higher percentage than a bull who has had no pedigree calves recorded against him and his index is totally reliant on his relatives performance.

Speaking as one who uses and records this trait, especially when choosing to buy a new bull and producing bulls that are predominantly used over dairy heifers, it is certainly more useful to take note of the figures than to ignore them completely.

We have used bulls which have low birthweight figures and positive calving ease, but used over some of our higher birthweight cows with tremendous growth potential, their bull calves can have higher birth weight figures but calving ease can still be lower than average. Calf birth weight and calving ease are two different traits!

Calving ease is based on calving difficulty and gestation length, as well as birth weight. So a cow which has never had any assistance to calve over several calves, gets a lower score and a higher accuracy of calving ease, even though she has had big calves-which get lumbered with a high birth weight index!

One bull we used and has 22 recorded calves, has a birthweight index of +1.2 kgs, and an accuracy of 85%, when the breed standard is +3.1kgs-so his calves are on average 2kgs lighter than breed standard and a calving ease of +0.7 His best son has a birthweight index of +5.1kgs and an accuracy of 77%-he hasn't produced any calves yet!
That is because his mother has a high birthweight index of over +5kgs-and he was born a big calf-however-after 8 calves we have never had to help her-she has a big frame and can both produce a good calf and feed it well.

Shape of the calf can influence calving, so a long lanky calf, even though he is big, can often be born easier than a lighter, chunky calf with wide shoulders.

I guess we have got off the topic of AI results, we use live bulls, but the end result is still a calf!

Oh, and another point, if you continually select low birth weight bulls in a breeding programme, you produce smaller and smaller calves, the heifers of which have a smaller and smaller pelvis, which can lead to calving difficulty!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #401954 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic A I
Sue you raise valids points. We see less calving issues due to oversized calves these days because that message has certainly got through to farmers....more of the issue now is undersized mothers when it comes to a run of differcult calvings in first timers.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 6 months ago #401955 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Replied by Kevin and Perlita Morgan on topic A I
NZ doesnt export semen to the Philippines as such ,but when the govt here imports cattle from NZ they sometimes bring semen as well.
The govt calls for tenders ,and the supplier of semen from USA is the one who is the lowest at present .
That supplier will also imports semen for us .He keeps a stock of Jersey semen on hand ,and replenishes it with each importation he makes.But only carries from 3 bulls so we are a bit restricted
Normally we AI over the 12 months of the year .
But in the case of the heifers they were all AIed over a period of 2 months
Cheers
Kevin

More
12 years 6 months ago #401959 by clarry
Replied by clarry on topic A I

Kevin and Perlita Morgan;397362 wrote: Normally we AI over the 12 months of the year

Does this mean you don't do any natural matings? And you obviously milk all year round?

More
12 years 6 months ago #401984 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Replied by Kevin and Perlita Morgan on topic A I
Hi Clarry
We imported a Jersey bull from NZ a few years back ,after several years we had to use AI on the off spring of the bull ,.We used the bull for the older stock ,we bred another jersey bull to replace the old one ,which we sold ,So we are now using the young Jersey bull ,for breeding the lot ,After a few years we will need to have acquired another bull to replace and start AI again while the young bull developes
Cheers Kevin

More
12 years 6 months ago #402011 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic A I
on AI return rates - there are also on farm factors that are beyond the technicians control.

More
12 years 6 months ago #402033 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic A I

clarry;397344 wrote: ...Ruth could you please tell me how many weeks AI you did to acheive your good rates? As 75% & 80% are fantastic after 3wks but are average after 6 weeks AI mating. As always small numbers are going to effect any results.Sounds like Ruth's beefies will be having a great life & easy to get incalf as opposed to your average dairy cow in a large herd....

80% on one cycle/one insemination ... If I only got 80% on the whole mating period, I'd have given up and bought a bull. As for cow condition, that's varied over the years. "A great life" didn't apply in some years when I was heavily stocked and worked them harder than I ought.

A couple of years ago I inseminated everything and had calving done and dusted in about 35 days or something. It was fast! I guess I should look it up to be sure, bearing in mind my memory for such details is obviously unreliable. Mind you, my memories are always happy, positive ones, since I forget anything negative. [;)] :D

More
12 years 6 months ago #402334 by CEW79
Replied by CEW79 on topic A I
Hi Ruth & everyone else. Thanks for the comments. In reply to your why Ruth. I was interested because our neighbor is a respected & experienced AI technician & he has this last week AI'd my two, two year old heifers. I was able to keep an eye on their behavior and call him with progress and then he popped around and did them when he felt they were cycling & ready. My query was because I was wondering what the likely success rates would be. :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #402335 by Ruth
100% is entirely likely in that situation! However, bearing in mind the biology involved, you might also get 0%. [;)]

More
12 years 6 months ago #402337 by CEW79
:D:D Well let's hope it is the 100%. No doubt I will know next month :) They are both in really good condition, here's a pic I took this morning of one of them. Her name is Black Eyed Pea (Pea for short). We used Murray Grey semen on the advice of our AI tech :)

www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/attachme...3&stc=1&d=1322264290

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
12 years 6 months ago #402340 by Ruth
That certainly is good condition!

More
12 years 6 months ago #402364 by Sue

We used Murray Grey semen on the advice of our AI tech :)

Good advice! Any idea of the name of the bull-should be written on the straw if he left it for you.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 6 months ago #402367 by CEW79
No he didn't leave the straw with me or tell me the name. But I will ask him next time I'm talking to him. :D :D

More
12 years 5 months ago #402980 by CEW79
Hi Sue. Found out semen was from Matai Waterloo (deceased). Tried searching for pic of him but drew a blank.

More
12 years 5 months ago #402983 by Sue

Hi Sue. Found out semen was from Matai Waterloo (deceased). Tried searching for pic of him but drew a blank.

He was born in 1992, you can check out his pedigree and data by going to www.murraygreys.co.nz then follow the link at the top of the page that says EBV enquiry-then when you get to the page put Matai Waterloo under name and press enter-and voila!

Sue

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds