A I

More
12 years 6 months ago #29624 by CEW79
A I was created by CEW79
Just a question about AI. I've tried to find out what the success rates are in NZ for AI in heifers and can't find it. Any one know [?]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #401715 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic A I
as far as I am aware syncroed AIed heifers have similar Non-Return-Rate to their adult counterparts, at least at the conception end. I will ask those more experienced than myself for you (and for me as well :) ). I think there is less data due to the fact that if they don't take to the AI they have the bull in later and never see the tech again unlike a cow. The data will be out there, buried in the recorded births for the heifers the next season most likely.

More
12 years 6 months ago #401734 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic A I
I'd guess 65%, bearing in mind adult AI should be over 70% and heifers are harder to AI - although again, a good tech will get nearly all of them. Why?

More
12 years 6 months ago #401737 by Hoof trimmer
Replied by Hoof trimmer on topic A I
From my previous experience, heifers are easier to get in calf than cows to AI. {Figs: 49 calves on the ground out of 50straws and 50 heifers in two years}. For the tech they may be a bit smaller/and slightly more awkward to inseminate, but heifers are more fertile than cows (providing they are equally healthy).
AI your heifers if you can, it's the easiest way of improving the genetics within your herd.
I don't know of any figures for NZ averages, but there should be some. Try LIC or Ambreed etc, they'll have data, wether they share any of it is a different matter.
A lot of heifers are only run with a bull here because it's the easiest way of getting them in calf, or they are at a run-off and no-one has time to watch/check them for heat, or the run-off facilites aren't to standard for AI.,

Good luck

The Best Hooves are Hoof it Hooves
www.hoofit.co.nz

More
12 years 6 months ago #401741 by Ruth
The average commercial AI tech will get around 70-75% in each cycle.

More
12 years 6 months ago #401810 by edster951
Replied by edster951 on topic A I
Also remember you have

Non Return Rate between 18-24 days
6 week conception rate
Incalf rate at scanning

All different at different times

Read the Dairy NZ In calf book

Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

More
12 years 6 months ago #401817 by clarry
Replied by clarry on topic A I

edster951;397195 wrote: Also remember you have

Non Return Rate between 18-24 days
6 week conception rate
Incalf rate at scanning

All different at different times

Read the Dairy NZ In calf book

And also the most important rate is calves born to each insemination as you need to include late returns & slips, so best rates can end up in the low 60%s for 1st round in cows

On same/different subject, I am interested to know how well cows are holding to the sexed semen that LIC has avalible this year? I've heard its expensive but imagine the gains from mating R2s & getting all heifer calves from them :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #401824 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Replied by Kevin and Perlita Morgan on topic A I
And Also Sexed Embryos

More
12 years 6 months ago #401873 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic A I

Ruth;397120 wrote: The average commercial AI tech will get around 70-75% in each cycle.

that's the non-return rate the are chanting around here at the moment...that does not necessarily mean that all cows that do not return are pregnant. from what i understand the non-return rate does not count the short returns etc.

Genral rule of thumb is to expect 65% conception rate to an AI mating

depends on the person picking the cycling cows and how good they are....

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 6 months ago #401875 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic A I
work on 65%...that is the general rule of thumb based on looking at millions of AI insems in the dairy industry.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 6 months ago #401890 by Ruth
I really must stop making things up out of my dodgy memory. I keep getting caught out!

More
12 years 6 months ago #401898 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic A I
65% .... interesting ...... I've not used AI but the neighbour did to mate her heifer to an easy-calving bull. I had to help her pull a rather large calf out of the heifer, so wonder about the accuracy of the "easy calving" index.
Now that I've found a breed that makes a calf that pops out easily, using a bull is better value to me. He stays with the steers when not in use with the females, and with the pregnants if there are no steers for him to be with after "remöval date" (1st March). After 2 years he has put on about $400 worth of meat .....
We've had no problem with bull getting in with our heifers, but have had neighbours heifers coming to visit without permission.

More
12 years 6 months ago #401900 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Replied by Kevin and Perlita Morgan on topic A I
Perlita got 75% on her AIs But they were all heifers,no cows.
We were very accurate with our heat detection ,because we were always keeping an eye on the heifers each day ,
The year before we only got 60% because we had somebody coming in to do the AIs ,Even though we were accurate with our heat detection ,he arrived when it suited him ,sometimes too early and sometimes too late .
We decided to do the AIs ourselves and purchased a semen tank and straws ,so we became very independent ,and achieved better results
Cheers
Kevin
Cheers

More
12 years 6 months ago #401906 by Ruth

Kevin and Perlita Morgan;397300 wrote: Perlita got 75% on her AIs But they were all heifers,no cows.
We were very accurate with our heat detection ,because we were always keeping an eye on the heifers each day ,
The year before we only got 60% because we had somebody coming in to do the AIs ,Even though we were accurate with our heat detection ,he arrived when it suited him ,sometimes too early and sometimes too late .
We decided to do the AIs ourselves and purchased a semen tank and straws ,so we became very independent ,and achieved better results
Cheers
Kevin
Cheers

My memory fails me on the commercial numbers for an associated reason: my own conception rate sits around 80%, because I do my own heat detection and can set the timing of my AI according to my own calculations.

What rates you actually get are heavily dependent on the skill of your technician, along with your own heat detection skill.

More
12 years 6 months ago #401939 by clarry
Replied by clarry on topic A I
The conception rates stated above show huge variation, alot of it must have something to do with the various systems, for example a dairy herd starting calving 15th july would start AI matings about 6th of october, typically the weather is not too flash during these 2.5 months & feed is rationed til the spring flush along with the demands of twice a day milking

I am sure cows who calve in say late September and only have the demand of feeding their own calf would hold better to AI 6wks after calving soley due the fact of better weather, more feed avalible & less demand on cow

Kevin & Ruth could you please tell me how many weeks AI you did to acheive your good rates? As 75% & 80% are fantastic after 3wks but are average after 6 weeks AI mating. As always small numbers are going to effect any results.Sounds like Ruth's beefies will be having a great life & easy to get incalf as opposed to your average dairy cow in a large herd.

Kevin, who do you get your semen from? Do NZ companies export it to your area?

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds