The dissapearing milk mystery has been solved!!!

More
12 years 6 months ago #29498 by homebirther1
Over the last week, I have noticed that Zoes milk supply has been dropping quite dramatically. Usually in the morning I get a good 3 litres, yesterday morning I got 2 litres....so quite a drop. This morning I only got 1 litre!! I was starting to worry about what could be wrong with her, and am sure she is getting plenty to eat.

When I came up to the house this morning with the milk, I was talking to my hubby about it, and he suggested that maybe some of the kids are drinking from her again. Zoes kids are 7 weeks old now, and we have been handraising them since just under a week old. We had had them separated, but they destroyed my herb garden, so I put them back in the paddocks with the older kids, and our milking does a couple of weeks ago. I have never seen Zoe showing particular attention to any of the kids, so it seemed to be ok.

Anyway....just before 4pm today, when I went to out to do the milking I saw two of her kids (she had triplets) sucking away on her!!!! I am absolutely gobsmacked!!!

Now I am wondering if I should separate them again, or to leave them to it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #400743 by edster951
same here with our cow, milk volume dropped. our yearling found out there was milk there. Swapped for a neighbours yearling, and whamo, same thing, bloody neighbours yearling drinking from her.....it promptly went back home.

So who is going to rub my cows tail paint now?????

Yep, a sudden drop in milk......kids, calves, yearlings....

Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

More
12 years 6 months ago #400751 by drifter
edster you can get a frustrater to put on your yearling to stop the milk drinking. Then she can still do tail paint rubbing duty :)
Vets or rural supply stores have them.
This year I have them on 3 heifers!They work a treat.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 6 months ago #400811 by Kiwi303
You should try having Calves sucking off Goats!

Put the milkers out in the same paddock as the calfateria fed calves which are fed 50/50 water/goats milk. Next milking 3 goats had funny udders, one half hard and one half soft... only conclusion was some calves had managed to get their heads under and have a feed. Since the calves mostly stand taller than the goats, that must have taken a bit of work to get low enough!

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 6 months ago #400839 by Midge
Passing a local dairy farm the other day we had to do a double take - there was a big Friesian down on its knees nursing from another Friesian. Another couple of cows looked on in amusement. These were all mature ladies, not youngsters! Someone will be getting the chop for being a low producer!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
12 years 6 months ago #400842 by Iniuk
It gets worse.....

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
12 years 6 months ago #400844 by kate
wow [:0][:0][:0]

Web Goddess

More
12 years 6 months ago #400849 by edster951

drifter;395984 wrote: edster you can get a frustrater to put on your yearling to stop the milk drinking. Then she can still do tail paint rubbing duty :)
Vets or rural supply stores have them.
This year I have them on 3 heifers!They work a treat.

For got about those, both my yearlings have gone elsewhere to graze, and neighbour has his yearling back.....doubt he'd like her with a nose thingy in.

I'll try abd detect her restlessness and bellowing and see how I get on. Won't hurt her not to get in calf for a year.

Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

More
12 years 6 months ago #400851 by igor
Hard to pick heats with no other cattle in the paddock eh? I had to use observation of mucus discharge on my cow last season. Took two cycles to get her in calf cos I didn't notice it fast enough the first time.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds