Bumblebee nest

More
16 years 3 months ago #2943 by ronnie
Bumblebee nest was created by ronnie
Whilst clearing out the hay shed so we can stack the hay later this week, we came across a bumblebee nest. They are currently doing no harm to anyone, so am inclined to leave them be, but should that situation change, any thoughts on how to deal with them?

It is an underground nest, so should be easy enough to block off, if need be, but have not come across these before.

cheers
Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #79193 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bumblebee nest
Jan neither had the Kiwi SOH either, until we found one a couple of summers ago under an oak tree. They have since moved and have another underground nest in the "driveway" (to use this term loosely) part of our house area.... they do tend to get upset when digging in the immediate area, but I haven't seen them go berserk like the euros do.... I would like to know more about them as well.

More
16 years 3 months ago #79195 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic Bumblebee nest
Ronnie,
I noticed one a few weeks ago under the chock shed and also asked for advise here about what to do. Activity doesn't appear to be as busy a few weeks on, we left them alone, but its good to know where they are just in order to avoid that immediate area for awhile. My Comfrey is always covered in Bumble Bees, we've always had a lot around here, I love them, and think perhaps they do a lot of my polinating.

More
16 years 3 months ago #79196 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Bumblebee nest
What does a bumblebee nest look like, ronnie?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
16 years 3 months ago #79197 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Bumblebee nest
I found this ronnie

www.bumblebee.org/faqNests.htm

Hey ronnie I was in the service station at the Bombays today and they had some slippers, they were ok, but they weren't as nice as yours! Just thought I'd say! ;)

More
16 years 3 months ago #79199 by Bunter
Replied by Bunter on topic Bumblebee nest
During the site works for our house and more recently landscaping we have come across a few bumble bee nests in the ground by accident while digging and once the nest has been covered over again by the digger the bees disperse fairly quickly with a few stragglers hanging around for a couple of days. So I expect if you blocked off a nest you would get the same effect. We had one harmless one under the pump shed a few years ago and they were gone by the following summer.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
16 years 3 months ago #79207 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Bumblebee nest
Thanks for all the info..

Tigger - it is just like a large mouse hole in the ground, at the edge of the shed. The bumblebees are constantly coming and going. Doing no harm so shall leave them bee[:I] I have a large tree in the front yard they seem to like late in the summer - the whole tree just humms.

MM thanks for the link. As I suspected, they are fine where they are. If they become a nuisance, we could just block off the front entrance, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I wonder if the slippers are the same ones we saw when we came to see you. We stopped at one of those service stations that have lots of shops around them. One of the shops was a tourist type of thing with lots of lovely stuff. They were very keen (and still are) to stock our slippers, but of course, want them for nix (or very nearly). The ones they did stock were dreadful compared to ours, but we are just a wee bit biased on that score:D:D

cheers
Jan

More
16 years 3 months ago #79208 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Bumblebee nest
They could be a problem close to the chooks. If the chooks ate one and got stung, but mine at least know to leave them alone. Apart from that, as long as they leave you alone I would leave them alone. They are "up there" with worms as the most beneficial insects. Are they native or imported bumble bees?

Carbon-based biological unit.

• maggies mum
16 years 3 months ago #79210 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Bumblebee nest
It the the Mohair summat or other, most likely the same place. They were pretty good slippers, but all the same! Boooorrring! I like your ones better, perhaps I should have mentioned them! Next time!

Might be ordering some more off you for the winter, darling little Max (foxie) rather liked them too and decided to bit of possum hunting practice without leaving the house!! Do you keep back dated orders?

More
16 years 3 months ago #79311 by bev
Replied by bev on topic Bumblebee nest
I can tell you what though, although bumble bees's dont sting they bite, and by christ they hurts, i had one bite me on my upper thigh, after a few hours i couldnt walk, but by the next morning my leg was almost back to normal, still sporting the big red mark and swelling though.

More
16 years 3 months ago #79314 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Bumblebee nest
we have a problem with our bumble bees in that I keep finding dead ones. I found about a dozen last weekend in one area by our barn and more yesterday. Before they die they get really dopey and at that stage attract the attention of the dogs (not the other way round).

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
16 years 3 months ago #79326 by Llew
Replied by Llew on topic Bumblebee nest
I had a bumblebee nest on the property a while back. I was goinmg to carbaryl them, like you do with wasps, but a local with a few clues told me that bumblebees move on each year & build new nests. SO I left them & they moved on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
16 years 3 months ago #79343 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bumblebee nest
Llew, not sure about that with our experience, the ones we had under the tree were there for a couple of summers at least.

Unless they rebuilt the nest next to the old one of course.:)

More
16 years 3 months ago #79369 by Murray
Replied by Murray on topic Bumblebee nest
I had a bumble bee nest in the stables one year, and their comings and goings really upse the horses and the nurse cow (who I was trying to get to adopt a couple of calves at the time). In the end I put some carbaryl down and that got rid of them. However, the other couple of ests that I have found I have left as they weren't a problem. I've currently got mason bees doing their thing on my insect screen doors!!!, so may have to deal to them though!!!!

Murray - Tuahiwi, Nth Canty
It is better to wear out than rust out - Bishop Richard Cumberland
Wiltshire sheep, hazelnuts, Araucana chooks and Dexter cattle

More
16 years 3 months ago #79373 by Llew
Replied by Llew on topic Bumblebee nest
"the ones we had under the tree were there for a couple of summers at least."

I seem to recall I was told they'd move in winter - maybe it depends how cold the winter is?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds