What are this seasons lambs worth?

More
12 years 5 months ago #399993 by Stu_R
:) Xartep .. i flicked off two hoggets and my twin boys ( Wallace n Grommet .. Grommie was a house destroyr bottle raised townie lamb :( ) about mid march last year ( 3rd september born ) and got $148 each for the lambs and $152 each for the hoggets ... and prices are way higher this season .. so you should do way better this year :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #400011 by Xartep
Wallis and Grommet are 2 of my dogs [;)] :D

All the ram lambs go in my freezer [;)] and I sell all the ewe lambs to pay for the goats hay[B)]

My sheep farming neighbor almost had kittens when I told him how much I got for the ewe lambs, they weren't selling for much then, only around $115.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 5 months ago #400028 by katieb
im hopefully going to the local sale tomorrow to get an idea of what things are worth :)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
12 years 5 months ago #400092 by katieb
well I didnt make it to the sale, ended up doing other things then I thought a pet lamb had colic so didnt go but had to pick my helper up from town so asked at wrightsons & the guy I spoke 2 is going to get one of the stock agents to ph me after the sale :)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
12 years 5 months ago #400130 by Stu_R
:) sounds good Katieb :) yours are quite small if the weights you quoted are live weights .. :) will be interesting to see what the agent has to say , and roughly what he reckons lambs are going for up your way :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
12 years 5 months ago #400139 by kindajojo
Lamb leg at New World today (and it didnt even look like the whole lwg) $59.00 !!!!!!

More
12 years 5 months ago #400143 by Xartep

kindajojo;395314 wrote: Lamb leg at New World today (and it didnt even look like the whole lwg) $59.00 !!!!!!

I saw that too, small legs approx $40 - $60 each. [:0][:0][:0] $21 per kilo.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 5 months ago #400145 by Stu_R
:) so it pays not to part with your lambs/sheep for under about $100 as they are worth far more as meat in your freezer :) and thats including the homekill/butcher costs :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #400148 by Stu_R
:) am just back from taking Lucky lamb for his free range walk round the block ( 20mins walk for him )
Met some nice people who were ammazed that someone had a lamb in town lol .. and that a lamb would follow its owner ( the power of milk bottles eh :) , and he thinks i am his mum anyway lol )
Its commercially worth the milk powder and time to raise him .. as he is growing like a mushroom ( 12 days old today ) .. oh and while out on our walk , we met a lady with a dog , and the lady works for PGG wrightson at the Feilding sale yards .. she told me its worth raise lambs on bottles now as Monday sale they sold 4 different pens of lambs for $220 each
And she said those pens were 25-26kg live weight.. so to me thats herrendous money for smaller lambs in my book :) :) .. geez some of my unweanned ones would be nearly that sort of live weight :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #400155 by cowvet

Xartep;395318 wrote: I saw that too, small legs approx $40 - $60 each. [:0][:0][:0] $21 per kilo.

The farmer gets about $8 of that - there is a message there!!!!

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 5 months ago #400158 by chocolatewoolnz

Stu_R;395323 wrote: :) she told me its worth raise lambs on bottles now as Monday sale they sold 4 different pens of lambs for $220 each
And she said those pens were 25-26kg live weight..

I'm surprised that's live weight and can't understand why someone would pay $220 for new season lambs unless for breeding purposes. We sold around 18 old season lambs at Palmerston sale yards in Otago and price ranged from $121-170.

86 acres with Gotland, coloured merino and a few white sheep www.chocolatewoolnz.com + 1300 strawberry plants www.gilchriststrawberries.co.nz

More
12 years 5 months ago #400161 by Stu_R
Prices ahve been very high here in Feilding Chocolatewool ... $ 207-$210 last monday and thats the Cull sales .. main and prime sale on Fridays
When she told me the weight i quirried if Live weight or approx carrcas weight .l. she was adimit it was LIVE Weight ,.... geez if thats correct , bugger weanning a few of mine they are over that weight now :)

More
12 years 4 months ago #403013 by katieb
so ive still got the lambs, the heaviest one is 36kg live weight(used proper cattle scales this time)... I get confussed with the different charts n stuff whats the lowest people would ask for a 36kg live weight ewe lamb as the guy who works on the farm(dairy drystock & chases my sheep back into their paddock when they escape) wants to buy one

More
12 years 4 months ago #403014 by robbie88
This season's lambs (late May born) hanging at the homekill - 24kg and 28kg CW. My guy says they are in the order of $200 each! Figure is based on work's prices.

Rob

More
12 years 4 months ago #403025 by LongRidge
If they are weaned the 36kg ones are worth about $120, unweaned about $135 plus GST if you have to worry about that. As they have only gained about 4kg in a month I guess they are weaned.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds