What are this seasons lambs worth?

More
12 years 6 months ago #29393 by katieb
I thought someone here might be able to tell me how much they are worth & what approx weight they were to command that price.

I have a few lambs that are 25-32kg so far & am looking to sell some on & since its Sunday I thought I would ask here, im sure others would be interested to know as well (2 castrated boys & 3 ewe lambs so far if it makes a difference)

& before anyone says anything about the homekill laws(as im sure someone will lol) I will be telling anyone that buys them the rules & have just drenched the 5 biggest so will notify them of the withholding if they buy them before it is over

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399650 by kaybe
Hi Katieb, I was at the saleyards last week and although I don't know exact weights, the well-grown June lambs were going for about $120 ea at Frankton, and $108 ea at Te Awamutu (only 5 for sale at TeA and much fewer buyers, which brought down the price I think.)

What sort are your ewe lambs? Are they quiet and friendly? I might be interested in buying them from you. Can you send me a PM? Cheers.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399652 by katieb
Hey Kaybe thanks for that was looking at farmers weekly prices & wrightsons sales results but as I dont know the sizes/condition im unsure. Sorry the mums of these arent friendly at all so these lambs are speed demons when they see me coming towards them. Unfortunatly my friendly ewes only had boys this year & the orphan lambs I got from the neighbour were boys :(

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
12 years 6 months ago #399666 by Stu_R
Um $8 a kg at places like Silver Fern Farms at the moment .. um from what i hear from a farming friend who was ta Feilding sales last monday to buy bulls ( cull sale day here ) some of the big lambs going for $203-$208 each .. he said the average size for that day were going from$165 -$180 and the scungie looking small ones were round the $130-$145 mark
So thats why its worth spending the money for the vacs and stuff to make sure can get as many to the sales as possible :) .. thats good money this season :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #399687 by katieb
hmm might have to pop along to our local sale next week to get an idea of what they are worth around here
Thanks Stu :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #399691 by LongRidge
Those are very small lambs, and really should not be weaned at the moment. They will grow much faster with the help of some milk.
Lambs that have been weaned kill out at about 42%, so your 26kg ones are worth about $85 and the 32kg about $105.
Milk lambs kill out at about 48% so $95- $125 ..... if you can get $8/kg (we can't).
They are too small to get a good price at the works.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399774 by Jo-Otago
Latest schedule for new season's lambs at SFF... $7.45/kg CW for the target weights - wow! But less for littlies.

Attached files
File Attachment:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 6 months ago #399836 by hilldweller
Jo my drafter was here a couple of weeks ago for the cull ewes and said he expects it to settle in the mid 6s this season. Time will tell. They haven't set the organic price yet but apparently demand is strong so they'll have to offer a premium to fill their orders :) A premium over $7.45 would be nice!

hilldweller

More
12 years 6 months ago #399863 by 4trees
Hi, just talking to a lady tonight and the lambs at the Feilding Sale today got $220 for 50KG lambs. Pretty good price. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
12 years 6 months ago #399903 by GloPony
[:0][:0][:0] That's insane money for lambs!

More
12 years 6 months ago #399971 by Stu_R
Seems to be what they worth GP .. they were going for $207-$208 at the cull sales and thats not even on the main saleday :) .. Feilding Sales seem to be going really well this season :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
12 years 6 months ago #399980 by kaybe
Stu, you should bring the trailer up here and buy them at Frankton - today's prices for the really top quality big lambs was from $150-180. You could take them down to Fielding and make a profit (less petrol of course!). Speculative lamb trading, lol.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399981 by Stu_R
so True kaybe :)
what a great idea :)
Its not just my sources that told me the prices high like they are .. even 4trees sources back it up
Friend just sold good quality lambs to SSF for $8/kg :)
Seems prices are way better down this way Kaybe than up your way :)
Now ( as he gets calculator out ) can i do a road trip and still make a proffit ??? lol lol :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #399987 by Xartep
Well that sounds promising, I was just thinking about whether the ewe lambs are ready to go or not. Nice to see that they could go for a reasonable price. I got $135 each for the 5 that were born last Christmas, and their mothers have all lambed again [:I] so this lot will be ready to sell for this Christmas. :)

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 6 months ago #399988 by Organix
Ours will be in our freezer by mid summer (3 wethers + 1 cull ewe for sausies). Cut out the middle man [;)]

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds