Living on roof water

More
12 years 6 months ago #399508 by 2D
Replied by 2D on topic Living on roof water
Another suggestion - a front loading washing machine uses a lot less water (and detergent) than a top loader.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399514 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Living on roof water
we are on town supply but i have a 30,000L water tank which collects rain water off the garages for stock and car wash.forgot to mention that we put in a seperate tap with a filter
for drinking water at the sink.tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
12 years 6 months ago #399518 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Living on roof water
I grew up just outside Hamilton on roof water, then at Kawhia harbour, roof water again, now out here it is a spring in the bush behind the house, gravity feed. It ran dry in the middle of a drought, but only for a short week or so, other than that there is more water than we need... we can treat it like town supply and leave the tap running while brushing our teeth, and visitors have no restrictions on use :D

On the other hand, the HWC was switched off when we re-connected the wetback in the coal range that a previous owner had disconnected when installing a new HWC during a renovation.
The power company came out since the sudden drop in consumption sent up a flag in their system :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 6 months ago #399662 by Oaklands
Replied by Oaklands on topic Living on roof water
I'm one of the tiny (so far) % on trickle feed of town supply - and all properties in the area are the same. We get 1000lt a day, but the restrictor plate can be exchanged by the council for 1, 5, or 10,000lt as to your farm / block requirements. Ours feeds into the original 20,000lt tank (that was originally roof-supply) and we pressurize it with a pump for use all over.

Despite that - we also catch the water off our big carshed to use for the horse when she's in that paddock (no auto trough over there), and have a barrel at the back doorstep which is very handy for washing hands/cat drinking out of/quick fill to a bucket as required/cooling down, etc etc. In fact when we sprung a major underground leak in a pipe from the tank - that 100 litres of fresh cool water came in very handy! The horse shelter also catches its own water off the roof into 2 barrels.

Water saving/management tips....

If you have teenage girls in the house - make them shower last. That way they learn the value of everyone having a shorter shower so there are enough litres in the hot water tank to go around! Or as previously suggested - get them to move out! Lol...

Have stop-cocks on the water lines to all major points of use like tank to house, and tank to paddocks, so you can turn the padddocks off as required without disrupting the house supply. Also VERY handy to be able to isolate individual lines if you spring a leak somewhere and have to figure out where and why the pump has suddenly started running non-stop!

The "Naki" kid - living in Taradise [8D]

More
12 years 6 months ago #400537 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Living on roof water
we're now on roof water as well and have two huge watertanks for only the two of us :D .
Before that we were (fortunate) to be on townwater, but we were the first to get a taste of the chlorine they put in it because the water for the city came from a little further up the valley and they hooked our property up on it.
I have to admit that now i love the roof water..it tastes much better then the townsupply, even if it has no taste at all :D

Watersaving: we take only very short showers, wash the dishes by hand, fill the washing machine to the brim before starting it and for the garden and the animals we got a separate tank...
We got plenty of water :) and there is no reason for us to spoil it. I think that during water shortage we will be able to give some of it to those in need :)

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
12 years 6 months ago #400542 by canajanz
Replied by canajanz on topic Living on roof water

2D;394613 wrote: We have recently fitted Tank Vacs to both the house and woolshed tanks and are convinced the water tastes better. You can see the bottom of the tank from the inspection cover too!

What is a tank vac? What does it do? CAn it be retro fitted or do I need to choose it when I buy the tank?

canajanz

More
12 years 6 months ago #400880 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Living on roof water

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
12 years 6 months ago #400891 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Living on roof water
Thanks for posting that, Blueberry - really interesting.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 6 months ago #401220 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Living on roof water
since installing a small spa [which doesnt actually seem to use a lot of electricity at all ] - one of those small portable ones- we have saved heaps on water usage and also on firewood as you dont light the fire until much later in the season as you can jump in the spa when its cold. I bought an ioniser and havent used chemicals and you can run it through summer on a low temperature so it acts as a swimming pool. Huge reduction in water usage that way

More
12 years 6 months ago #401284 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Living on roof water
How does the ioniser work muri? Does this totally negate the need for weekly testing of the pool water and the addition of chemical water treatments?

More
12 years 6 months ago #401338 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic Living on roof water
I put roof water as this is what we use as a household. The stock water system is entirely spring fed however.

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
12 years 6 months ago #401784 by suckerpunchnz
Replied by suckerpunchnz on topic Living on roof water
I'm desperate for some water saving tips if anyone has any?
As an ex-townie, moved into the country at the beginning of the year, we seem to be going through our tank water like crazy. Almost everyone seems to think our tank has a leak, but how can you tell? (besides from looking at the visible physical things)

Thanks in advance!

More
12 years 6 months ago #402204 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Living on roof water
@suckerpunch, check out the more likely (but maybe not obvious) possibilities:

Running/dripping taps, inside and out.
Sticking toilet cistern valve.
Trough/stock water supply leaks.
Excessive use (e.g. washing machine, rinsing dishes, showers, car washing, garden watering).
Hot water overflow (fault Ajax valve)

A leak from a plastic water tank will be obvious unless it is in the base whereas most aged concrete tanks will weep to some extent and are more difficult to guage water loss. The only real way to check many tanks integrity is when they are empty enough to examine the inside, and can be repaired if necessary at this time.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 5 months ago #402975 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Living on roof water
"How does the ioniser work muri? Does this totally negate the need for weekly testing of the pool water and the addition of chemical water treatments?"

I dont know how the ioniser works but it helps purify water. I still test the water each week to ensure ph etc is correct. I havent added chlorine at all this season and just needed to add something when the ph got too low.

More
12 years 5 months ago #403393 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Living on roof water
suckerpunch ..... put two 1 litre plastic bottles full of water into the toilet cisterns. That way they use 2L less every time you flush.
Only flush when you poo.
Turn off the water tap when you are brushing your teeth.
Only wash clothes and towels when they are dirty, and not after only 2 days use if they are still clean.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds