Living on roof water

More
12 years 6 months ago #29364 by kate
Living on roof water was created by kate
I'm interested to know where you get your main water supply from...

Also, I've just published an article on ' living on roof water ' and wondered if anyone had water-saving tips to share?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399265 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Living on roof water
Good advice in the article Kate. Perhaps add a caution to disconnect downpipes to waste if you have had maintenance such as painting or moss killing done, or if you have suffered drift of agrichemicals, until a shower or two of rain has flushed the toxins away.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 6 months ago #399269 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Living on roof water
Good call Organix, I've added that to the article :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 6 months ago #399270 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Living on roof water
Hi Kate. Many areas here in South Otago are on rural water schemes. Perhaps you could amend your survey to include this as an option.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399273 by kate
Have done igor...but can someone explain to me exactly what a rural water scheme is? [:I]

Web Goddess

More
12 years 6 months ago #399283 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Living on roof water
We just get a trickle of water, 3 units a day (a unit here is 1000L, I know in some areas it's different). It's filtered water out of the Waimak river as far as I know... There's a little meter thing in the line near the house, and when we use 3000L (which we've never done, BTW), it shuts off. That's the rural scheme here.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399289 by kate
Thanks Andrea...how common are these schemes? Are they only in the SI?

Web Goddess

More
12 years 6 months ago #399291 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Living on roof water
I'm on town supply but haven't done the poll as I'm not on a lifestyle block so would skew the results.

But I am just a tiny bit obsessed with water saving. Maybe it's a result of parents living off tank water in the far north for many years so being acutely aware of the value of good water.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
12 years 6 months ago #399292 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Living on roof water
Gosh, I don't know! Oxford has 2 rural water schemes, one comes from the river, one comes from a reservoir. I think. I'm not 100% sure about the source of each .... er.... source (there's Oxford Rural Water 1 and 2).

Hopefully someone else will know more.

More
12 years 6 months ago #399296 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Living on roof water
Kate .. ask Kindajojo , but i think they are round here to in Manawatu specially up Halcombe way where Jojo lives .. i may be worng , but it certainly rings a bell

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #399305 by kate
Thanks Stu... :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 6 months ago #399323 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Living on roof water

Kate;394382 wrote: Thanks Andrea...how common are these schemes? Are they only in the SI?

There were a number of them established around the southern and western flanks of Mt. Egmont in the 70s or 80s and I expect they are still operating.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 6 months ago #399337 by Furball
Replied by Furball on topic Living on roof water
Water-saving tips? Re-use all grey water for watering the garden. And pee on the lemon tree!

More
12 years 6 months ago #399339 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Living on roof water
Kate We have a bore, but the local township is on a restricted supply of 1000 litres per day and I know Akaroa is also on a restricted supply as well, so fairly common

More
12 years 6 months ago #399341 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic Living on roof water
Kate - we are on the Halcombe scheme in the Manawatu we get I think 2,500 litres per day...which we would never come close to using. It is low pressure. so feeds to a header tank on the hill and supplies all the water troughs...
We use water off the roof into a separate tank, but can top up from the header tank if we run out.... ie if It doesnt rain in the Manawatu for a month. We have topped up about 5 times in 6 years the water tastes a bit funny but probably more because it sits in the header tank. Should really flush the tank every few months.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds