Electric log splitter

More
12 years 6 months ago #29264 by kakas
Electric log splitter was created by kakas
Hi all, good to be a part of such a helpful group. Being female and looking for easy options to manage supplying my own firewood, has anyone got opinions and/or recommendations on electric log splitters and suppliers please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #397959 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Electric log splitter
Generally they are very under powered and will not last the distance.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
12 years 6 months ago #397964 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Electric log splitter
They will work fine if you are only splitting for kindling. Anything worth keeping the fire going would need more grunt.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
12 years 6 months ago #397977 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Electric log splitter
I've only used the big petrol or diesel engined ones which save a lot of work if you have gnarly old logs with a lot of knots. I would not buy an electric splitter as, apart from the limited capability referred to by others, they are useless if more than about 30m from a mains power supply because the cord won't reach. You could use a petrol powered generator to run a toytown electric splitter but that defeats the purpose of having an electric machine.

More
12 years 6 months ago #397978 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic Electric log splitter
We cut our wood all year round in big peices and then hire a log splitter for one day and get the whole lot done and stored :D

More
12 years 6 months ago #397987 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Electric log splitter
We have an electric log splitter, cost about $800 from Mitre 10. Best thing we have ever bought. It can split logs up to about 50cm in diameter. It only occassionally struggles when it is crotch wood, then it has to be sawn.
It will happily keep splitting logs for hours, can get through a 50 year old pine in a couple of days. Nice and quiet, easy for females to use. The only real restriction is how big a log you can lift onto it.
I don't find having to be near the house to use it a problem: you are going to be shifting the wood close to the house anyway for burning, so what is the problem moving it before it is split rather than after?
I will pop out later and get the model number for you

More
12 years 6 months ago #398030 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic Electric log splitter
There are good petrol-powered logspliters out there that are very easy to use...just because you're female don't think that it will be difficult to use if it's petrol! A good one will be just as easy as (if not easier than) a lawnmower to use.

Hubby brought one about 6 yrs ago and I use it frequently with no problems. Easy pull start (which is easier than our lawn mower!), not overly noisy, doesn't guzzle petrol and gets through big stuff like a hot knife through butter! I can't remember the brand, will have to find that out. The best thing is that it can be operated vertically as well as horizontally, so you don't have to lift the big heavy stuff up onto the splitting tray.

It did cost a packet though...but then it has to cope with splitting enough wood annually to keep 3 families going through winter!

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
12 years 6 months ago #398040 by Akupe
Replied by Akupe on topic Electric log splitter
[FONT=Arial Mäori]Anyone whose used or owned a petrol splitter will never recommend an electric one but don't listen to them. I bought a Masport 5ton Splitter from Mitre 10 for $600 and it works very well. Great for kindling through to large diameter logs that don't have too many knots or is nice and dry. Its not perfect, the button setup is a little painful where they are positioned and its slow. But I've used it for Old Man Pine, Blue Gum and Douglas Furr and its gotten through enough wood to keep my fire burning for 6 months ... which means I haven't paid for water heating since May. They work well and anything it doesn't handle I just rip with my chainsaw.
[/FONT]

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

More
12 years 6 months ago #398107 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Electric log splitter
Yep we have an electric one and we're very happy with it, we have split logs more than twice the diameter of the splitting head. I'll also have to wait until morning to find out the brand name though!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 6 months ago #398145 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Electric log splitter

Akupe wrote: Great for kindling through to large diameter logs that don't have too many knots or is nice and dry.

we had been told to dry the wood before splitting, however I find splitting whilst wet a lot easier

More
12 years 6 months ago #398181 by Akupe
Depends on the wood perhaps but I've found pine easier once its dry because its a bit stringy. But I split plenty of wet wood and it does the trick no problem.

3.8 ha ... 2 homestays ... 19 sheep ... 1 kune kune pig ... 3 cats ... 1 rabbit and a wife and 2 kids under 14 years old. Plus a full time job in Wellington. Phew!!!

More
12 years 6 months ago #398190 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Electric log splitter
We have a 7 tonne Electric wood splitter, and it handles quite big roundalls really well, its only if you have big knots in the wood that it stutters, Also hubby has put a piece of wood in the track so that it does not come back so far between splitting each piece of wood, we cut the logs into roundalls, and then leave it to dry a while, and then he connets the power and chugs away for several hours ending up with a lovely pile of split wood, ready to stack into the shed. He has a heart problem, and cutting wood with an axe was not an option, he went out to buy a splitter for the tractor, ($1500) but came back with this electric one for about $650, cannot remember exactly what we paid for it, Cross Country Ltd phone 0800 8472052, they have all types of farm and agricultual machinery, they are near hamilton, but do send all over NZ

More
12 years 6 months ago #398191 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Electric log splitter
i think an electric one would be perfect for a lady log splitter.. i understand they can not handle the big rounds, but then neither can i..

i am now seriously thinking about getting one for me.. at the moment we hire a big petrol driven number, but then i am reliant on hubby to lift the logs up...

i like swinging an axe but my back doesnt, so i think those happy days of stress release may be passing fast...

this way. hubby can play with the chainsaw and chop into bits and i can split..sounds ideal

More
12 years 6 months ago #398193 by Akupe

Also hubby has put a piece of wood in the track so that it does not come back so far between splitting each piece of wood

[FONT=Arial Mäori]Yeah that's a good idea. Mine has a particularly long throw for a small splitter so I use a piece of square wood block between the splitting arm and piece I'm going to split. The manual doesn't recommend doing this but it speeds up the process no end and I've never been hurt doing this. But don't have anyone standing in front because dry bits often get spat forward at quite a rate sometimes.
[/FONT]

More
12 years 6 months ago #400908 by kakas
Replied by kakas on topic Electric log splitter
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. I bought one and happy as with it. Yes putting piece wood in does speed up process :) It was the price and lack of noise I like. I did buy locally so if fails in the year I know were to take it too.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds