What the going rate for pasture?

More
12 years 8 months ago #28908 by howdy
Hi I've been letting a farmer run some sheep 17 on my paddocks 4 acres and although he dropped a bottle of wine off, we weren't sure what the going rate is for fattening his sheep! I'm not trying to make money - but I don't want to be taken advantage of either! Any advice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #394047 by katieb
hmmm sounds like he has 'paid' with a bottle of wine

What was the convo when they first arrived?

Did he approach you or did you approach him?

He may have thought he was doing you a favour

Are the sheep still there?

Id personally leave the payment matter this time(in order to keep a nice relationship) & either get some of your own animals or talk about payment before the sheep arrive in future

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
12 years 8 months ago #394054 by kate
If you don't have any animals of your own to eat the grass then he is probably doing you a favour keeping the grass under control. I'd say thanks for the wine and as katieb says, think about getting your own animals :D :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 8 months ago #394102 by edster951
one day a lamb may turn up for your freezer too.......scratch each others back.

Eddie
Invercargill [8D]
New Zealand

More
12 years 8 months ago #394115 by LongRidge
I lease land to graze sheep and work it out by the number of animals that I can raise.
For sheep I used to pay 50c per head per week, on the basis of
1 sheep makes 1 lamb (and a bit of wool but that used to be worth just the shearing cost). 1 lamb used to be worth $50. So my 50c for 52 weeks = $26, so about 1/2 the profit was mine and half the landowners. I expect the landowner to contol his weeds and keep the place fertilised, which I do at cost. This works out at about $26 per sheep per year, especially if the fertility is low.
Now it seems that lambs are going to be worth about $100, so a fair rate would be $1 per head per week, and you put on the fertiliser.
So, a fair rate for him and you, this year, would be 25c per head and he does the fertilising and weed control. If the price of lambs drops then this is too much.

More
12 years 8 months ago #394165 by Cinsara
A bottle of wine is fine for 17 sheep for a couple of weeks or a month but if it's any longer than that I would get something else sorted - either money, freezer meat or banking a favour. Banked favours are great, he may fertilise your land when he does his own etc. I like your equation LR, at least it gives a base to work from. The biggest thing is don't offend the farmer, a few misplaced or misinterpreted words can make life very difficult in the future.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 8 months ago #394169 by igor
We have a real farmer neighbour who is a really cool guy and has helped us a lot. The first season we were here he cut and tedded our hay for us and got his contractor to bale it when his own was being done. We can pick his brains for advice and he knows that if he needs an extra person to help with a job like tailing or shearing he can come to us and get me or the boy.

More
12 years 8 months ago #394215 by howdy
Thanks for the advice, we do have a very good relationship and exactly right he was doing us a favour to begin with so no harm done there! He does look after the sheep, but we do pay him to spray (just the once) so all's good. Interesting spoke to a farming friend last night and he was saying around $3 a head! Just show the variation around!

More
12 years 8 months ago #394225 by LongRidge
Quick, get that friend to graze your place.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds