Power, Telephone to the Gate

More
12 years 8 months ago #28829 by dj_fitzm
Hi everyone,
This is probably not the usual question you get here but I just want to ask if anyone has experience in dealing with this.

We are closing on a subdivided, lifestyle block in Canterbury and it has been advertised that power, telephone and water is to the gate. And you usually take as face value that this is true and go ahead with your finance etc. This impacts the amount of money the bank is willing to lend and I am just wondering if I should check it out to see it this is really true?

I did place a phone call to telecom and the connections department checked and said there is no connection to that number and I was put to their sub-divisions dept who said it is the job of the owner to prove this.

As an honest person, I want to disclose accurate information to the bank so I am wondering if anyone has any experience in dealing with this sort of things. I have called Orion abt power so hopefully I should get an answer soon.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #393133 by Alan Gilbert
If there's a grey Telecom cable pillar at the gate, then yes, the phone line is at the gate. If not, it's probably not, though there will possibly be a cable in the street. Getting Telecom to join you into that cable will cost serious money. (Incidentally, Vodafone are a hell of a lot cheaper than Telecom when it comes to a rural connection – in my experience, $50 as opposed to $500, and that was with the cable joining pillar already in place.)
Likewise, if there's a big black plastic box with all kinds of warnings about high voltage on it somewhere near the gate, then you've probably got mains electricity. If not, you'll have to dig deep in both the road and your pocket.
With the water, the subdivider should have arranged a pipe off the main in the road, terminating in a stopcock (toby) on the property itself. If that's not there, you're up for more money.
It's the vendor's responsibility to prove the presence of services. Don't take them for granted. It's essential to do a physical check to ensure that they are in fact present and accessible.
Caveat emptor!

More
12 years 8 months ago #393138 by dj_fitzm
Hi Alan,
Thanks for that. Will get husband to take a drive down there and have a look. Its a shame really cos the vendor will be our immediate neighbour if this goes thru and it does not bode well for future relations if we are stuck in this hurdle!
We have also been thru the wringer and back re. GST already so I am wondering what's next.
On the plus side, the bank has been really quite good and yes they did placed a lot of restrictions on us, wanting to see paperwork for this and that but I suppose this is a good thing and it protects us in a way. The bank person I dealt with also just said to put it back to them if the vendor is being difficult. Good man!

More
12 years 8 months ago #393148 by kalnetta
Where is the block?If its in Waimakariri the power company will be Mainpower no Orion.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
12 years 8 months ago #393178 by LongRidge
Those grey telecom pillars are where there are joins in the cable. They connect your phone at a join. The joins are about 200m apart so there will be a join somewhere within 100m.
Because the property was advertised as phone and power to the gate, then the seller will have to do that when he has a gate in the road boundary fence to put it there. There is no point in doing the job before the place is sold, in case it does not sell, or in case you want to change the main entrance position. So don't worry if DH cannot find what you are sending him to look for.

More
12 years 8 months ago #393240 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Power, Telephone to the Gate
Remember there can also be a huge cost in getting power, water and phone to your house site.

More
12 years 8 months ago #393541 by Kiwi303
You say you are closing on the sale/ Have you signed any agreement to purchase contracts? If you have not, it should be easy enough to include in the sales terms that come settlement date, if there is not power and phone provided at the gate, that X amount be held ack from the settlement money and retained to cover connecting power and phone to the gate, any remaining after the power company and phone company and their respective sucontractors have been paid then to be paid to the seller.

That way even if the seller procrastinates and doesn't get around to hooking up the utilities to the gate, you're covered without being out of pocket.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 8 months ago #393544 by LMCL65
Replied by LMCL65 on topic Power, Telephone to the Gate
Hi when I bought my land it was power and phone to the gate, but they weren't there yet, the builder had to run an extension cable from the neighbours (who also happened to be the vendor). I had a number of headaches as I tried to contact power companies etc and get it sorted, evidentally it was all mates rates on weekends kind of stuff and I got caught in the middle, was sorted eventually but what a stressor!

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

More
12 years 8 months ago #393545 by Kiwi303
You say you are closing on the sale/ Have you signed any agreement to purchase contracts? If you have not, it should be easy enough to include in the sales terms that come settlement date, if there is not power and phone provided at the gate, that X amount be held ack from the settlement money and retained to cover connecting power and phone to the gate, any remaining after the power company and phone company and their respective sucontractors have been paid then to be paid to the seller.

That way even if the seller procrastinates and doesn't get around to hooking up the utilities to the gate, you're covered without being out of pocket.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 8 months ago #393551 by sky
Replied by sky on topic Power, Telephone to the Gate
Phone, water and power lines 55 meters from the boundary of our land to our house on our block cost $1500 so in the scheme of things this is not a huge amount of money. It may have gone up a bit more but not much I'm sure.
If there's a tank on your new land and a little grey post for telephone and leccy then your're all good to go.
Why had you not checked beforehand though ... just curious?

Canterbury

More
12 years 8 months ago #393902 by dj_fitzm
Hi everyone,

Just an update, Sky, as it was advertised as such, we just take as face value that it is so. I am quite a careful person usually but I was relying on good ole honesty here. Perhaps I should not be too trusting? :)

The power, telephone and whatever amenities to the gate that should rightly be there will be reflected in our LIM report and the vendor has to send in the paperwork to the lawyer.

As he needs to get the title to the house, he needs to prove that he has included all these things in order to obtain the title. SO I suppose he will probably only get to it when there is a confirmed sale as Longridge mentioned. The lawyer has included the exact clause that Kiwi303 has mentioned so thanks for pointing that out Kiwi303!

We already have headaches now trying to prove if these things were to the gate as rightly the vendor should be the one doing all the work rather than us trying to manhandle the vendor to do them. Also I find (after countless phone calls) that the main companies you deal with re. these things (Telecom, Mainpower) do not want to talk to the seller, they want to deal with the vendor. So you are almost left in the dark really wondering who is telling you facts or not. We only have to rely on those physical checks as mentioned here.

Also we are aware that there will be costs to bring all these things from gate to home, so I suspect some costs will be involved as the drive is about 80m long! But DH is apparently aware of that so he has already factored in those costs.

AND as banker we are dealing with is a townie and quite paranoid, he actually wants to see the proof of the power, telephone etc are actually to the gate! I can't thank him enough! SO fingers crossed as we are in settlement stage.

Thanks so much everyone for the input, it was really really helpful. Joyce.

More
12 years 8 months ago #393909 by highgirl
We are just in the process of purchasing land in Canterbury...the water is not to the gate, it's 30m short and on the wrong side of the road. The cost we have had quoted from sicon to add the extra length and dig under the road is $3000 which I didn't think was too bad. I'm not too sure about the power and phone yet.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #393969 by dj_fitzm
Hi highgirl, did you have to provide geotech report as well? That is taking up a lot of time and everyone involved in doing land-based stuff are so swamped and we are finding that we cannot meet the settlement date etc. So hopefully the vendor will be happy with that as eventually we will be neighbours. I have some good contacts for geotech and rural valuers if you ever need them so PM me if you want.

I am sure we will learn lots from this experience! Keep me updated as well. Good luck.

More
12 years 8 months ago #393972 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Power, Telephone to the Gate
Good to hear that you have found a place highgirl. Keep us posted as to your progress won't you.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds