Ongaonga plant

More
10 years 11 months ago #28750 by rotaville
Ongaonga plant was created by rotaville
Quick question, I encountered this plant when out on a bush walk this afternoon. My leg is on fire and the pain is only just bearable. What should you do when you get stung by this nasty plant?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #392326 by brodie
Replied by brodie on topic Ongaonga plant
If it's anything like stinging nettle crush a dock leaf and rub it on the area.Other than that maybe an antihistamine cream or tablet may help.Hope you feeling better soon

2 dogs,2 kids,goldfish,20-ish chooks,2 axolytl,2 turtles,Lotsa free-range pigeons, budgies, pekin, cayuga & muscovy ducks + their babies, 5 horses,a cockatoo called Charlie and no money...[:D][:D];)

More
10 years 11 months ago #392327 by rotaville
Replied by rotaville on topic Ongaonga plant
Have tried the dock trick but no difference, even put some itch/sting cream on but made nooooo difference. God damn that plant is nasty.

More
10 years 11 months ago #392332 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Ongaonga plant

rotaville;386667 wrote: Have tried the dock trick but no difference, even put some itch/sting cream on but made nooooo difference. God damn that plant is nasty.

You probably should take yourself off to the doctor. Ongaonga is NZ's most toxic plant apparently.

Poisonous plant
The tree nettle is one of New Zealand's most poisonous native plants. Standing about two metres tall, it’s coarsely toothed leaves have numerous white stinging hairs (trichomes), up to 6mm long, at the tip of each tooth as well as on young stalks and leaf veins. These are hollow cylinders with tapered points, which break after piercing the skin, injecting toxins into the tissues, giving rise to pain and rash. There have been cases of dogs and horses developing neurological problems, with respiratory distress and convulsions within minutes of exposure, often dying within hours, although some do recover. There are also reports of human poisoning in botanical references or the press. Connor, in his book, The Poisonous Plants in New Zealand, mentions a group of trampers who developed loss of coordination for three days after being stung. In another instance, a typist developed tingling numbness in the hand after grasping a nettle bush, preventing her from typing for five days. There are also reports of severe headaches, blurred vision and extreme fatigue. A fatal poisoning was described in 1961, when a young man died of paralysis and respiratory problems several hours after walking through a patch of tree nettles. Click on this link for more information about Poisonous native plants .

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 11 months ago #392335 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Ongaonga plant
Antihistamine tablets as soon as possible and then to A&E or Doctor . Do not waste time do it now.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
10 years 11 months ago #392347 by lillies_for_me
Replied by lillies_for_me on topic Ongaonga plant
I am a registered nurse - i hope you are already on your way to Emergency at your nearest hospital!

If not - you should call the Poison's Centre and see what they suggest, and get a nice cool flannel to put over the infected area - that could help with the heat and perhaps even the pain.

Other than antihistamine and/or panadol etc, i would take nothing else unless directed by the Poison's Centre - as you don't want to make things worse - and make sure you disclose all you have done and/or taken, to the Emergency Nurses/Dr's, even if you took something Natural/Homeopathic as some of these can have an adverse effect on you with Meds they might want to administer to you! So Disclose ALL!!

Goodluck - please let us know how you get on, it will all be okay [;)]

Yesterday is History;
Tomorrow is a Mystery;
Today is a Gift;
That is why they call it the Present!
[:D]

More
10 years 11 months ago #392349 by Vanaheim
Replied by Vanaheim on topic Ongaonga plant
yeah dont **** about this stuff has killed horses dogs and cattle.

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
10 years 11 months ago #392364 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Ongaonga plant

Vanaheim;386691 wrote: yeah dont **** about this stuff has killed horses dogs and cattle.

...and people [B)] ..at least one documented case.
See these other threads for more chat on this interesting plant:
www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/showthread.php?t=26702&
www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/vforum/showthread.php?t=26702&

More
10 years 11 months ago #392382 by WillEyre
Replied by WillEyre on topic Ongaonga plant
You still alive this morning Rotaville?
You sure had everyone playing cyber doctors and nurses there for a while.

Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
10 years 11 months ago #392400 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Ongaonga plant
Just shot round to rotavilles place .. her car is there ,no one home, Blossom the possum's cacoon is gone from her cage ... have text rotaville 3 times since last night and no reply ....
so am guessing things are not good , as she should be at work today and always has the car to get to work and Blossom being gone means things are a bit more serrious than first realised here

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #392402 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Ongaonga plant
Stu you are a real caring person-hope you find out what is happening soon. Having met Rotaville for the first time last weekend at the Country Expo, I sure hope everything is OK.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 11 months ago #392403 by brodie
Replied by brodie on topic Ongaonga plant
Hoping she has just taken the poss for a walk and all is well.You realy are a good bloke Stu.If you are ever in Otaki feel free to pop in for coffee :) And Rotaville I really hope you are O.K-you have us all worried now :)

2 dogs,2 kids,goldfish,20-ish chooks,2 axolytl,2 turtles,Lotsa free-range pigeons, budgies, pekin, cayuga & muscovy ducks + their babies, 5 horses,a cockatoo called Charlie and no money...[:D][:D];)

More
10 years 11 months ago #392404 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Ongaonga plant
Good on you Stu :)

I've got everything crossed that Rotaville is okay...

Web Goddess

More
10 years 11 months ago #392421 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Ongaonga plant
Got hold of rotaville :)
shes been hospital and got stuff to fix problem and is now sleepy but is ok

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #392422 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Ongaonga plant
Thanks for letting us know, please pass on our best wishes for a speedy recovery :D :D

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.294 seconds