Labrador Pups and LSB Electric Fence?

More
12 years 7 months ago #28669 by Pikinin
Hi Everyone

We've recently welcomed two labrador pups into our home. They are now nine and ten weeks old and beginning to challenge the makeshift fencing put up around the house to keep them away from the electric fence that's in place for the sheep.

At what age is it safe to introduce lab pups to farm style electric fencing?

Attached files
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391373 by igor
Why did you make a fence to keep the pups off the fence? Was it really to keep them off the sheep? They need to learn about electric fences and the sooner they start the better.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391375 by Pikinin
Thanks Igor, it was more to keep them away from the electrified fence. I had the impression they might be too young to for such a vigorous jolt and also too young to learn from their mistakes, and so would end up just being zapped over and over without learning anything.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391376 by Kalmara
Let them get a good belt from the electric fence now

More
12 years 7 months ago #391377 by Jan
My new pup is almost 3mths and comes out to the barn with me. He hasnt touched the fence yet but im not to worried if he does....he wont do it again lol

They will only touch it once or twice and will soon learn. Depends on what voltage you have running thru I guess, but our gives you a hefty belt.

Jan

More
12 years 7 months ago #391395 by Pikinin
Thanks for the input Guys. It looks like they're in for a bit of a shock this evening.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391421 by kaybe
A week or so ago I hear a most peculiar noise - a deep continuous belling sound - took me a good few seconds to identify it as a dog in distress, and then to realise it was the neighbour's puppy! Honestly it sounded like a full-grown bloodhound, not a small fat Sealyham [:0] I was about to down tools and race over to see if he'd been kicked by an alpaca/run over by a car, when I heard his owner laughing. Apparently he'd just discovered the electric fence :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391425 by LongRidge
They are quite old enough to get off the electric fence when it bites. Very young animals, toddlers .... and children ..... sometimes don't, and they get killed.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391430 by Sue
My Labrador got a belt when she ran under a tape fence, just as I put my foot on it to step over it, when she was still a pup.

She wouldn't go near tape fences, or any fence for ages, and still shoots through under them now-aged 8! It was especially hard when we went to Dog Obedience and they taped around the ring with pig tails and rope. No way would she go anywhere near them and steered away if asked to walk alongside the fence doing Heelwork-so competition was a bit of a failure- for more reasons, but that was one of them!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391468 by wiltshire
our lab had her first experience of electric fences round eight months of age and ended up running along the wire getting more than a few belts before she clicked on which way to run ,it took awhile to get her near another fence and right up till she went blind (12 years)always hesitated before going through.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391583 by Leslie_NZ
One of mine has learnt that wire and pigtails is fine to climb over, the red box attached, keep the hell away from it when it emits a buzzing clicking noise, if box is out, be wary... but no noise emitted its still good to go over the fence.

The cattledog X just waits for the gate to open then she goes through. (the other dog opens the gate so we had to padlock it to stop her).

More
12 years 7 months ago #391756 by 3scoremiles10
They are just entering a phase in their development when they are learning about fear and things to be afraid of, so not really a good time to introduce them to things like electric fences, as the pup's reaction may be way out of proportion and may become a full blown life long phobia. My advice would be to wait a few weeks until they have a bit more resilience.

Fear Imprint Period
Experiences a puppy perceives as traumatic during this time are generalized and may affect him all his life. It is a fact that a dog is most likely to develop an avoidance response if subjected to physical or psychological trauma during these four weeks.

www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds