Horses and Manure!!! What do you do?!

• chooky
16 years 3 months ago #78373 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Horses and Manure!!! What do you do?!
We pick up daily using buckets and rubber gloves . We have a big poo pile in the middle of one paddock and we are lucky to be double fenced along the shelter area so just biff it over into them as well if near !
We have a few regulars who come and take it away by the trailer load.I also put alot of it on my own gardens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #78383 by stripey
I use wheelbarrow and fork daily over summer, in winter the horses go up into the hilly paddocks on rotational and crossgrazing. As far as I know, if you pick up poo for worm control and to prevent the paddock getting dung patches where the horses won't eat anymore, then you have to pick up within 24h at the least, or you are wasting your time. The poo goes in big piles at a convenient end of the paddock, and now and then friends or I grab a trailerload for the vege gardens. Whatever stays lying in the pile has pretty much shrunk down to nothing by next year.

More
16 years 3 months ago #78396 by sundaysbest
1.5 horse = 1 biggie, 1 littlie... [8D]

More
16 years 3 months ago #78423 by Dobiegirl
We do a combination of harrowing (when hubby has time), kicking the poo, and picking up by hand. Was using wheelbarrow to collect, but I think some of the suggestions here like using plastic shopping bags and/or feed bags are an excellent idea - much easier on slopes and hilly terrain.

The collected poo goes into a a couple of big piles in the paddock where we also dumped any clay from excavating work, and we left it to rot down. Have used one lot already on veggie garden and very impressed with results, so will continue.

Lisa
3 acres, 1 Horse, 2 Greyhounds, 1 Cat, 2 Cockatiels, 5 Cayuga Ducks & 3 Khaki Campbell Ducks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
16 years 3 months ago #78447 by GloPony
I have 7 x horses to manage on my own (no one else is horsey in the family) so I don't have time for poo picking up. I just harrow when I move them & leave the paddock for 6 - 12 weeks before putting them back in.

When we get our own place, I'll cross graze with cattle & sheep as well & will seriously consider getting a paddock vac. My days of picking up poo are well & truly over!

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds