Horses and Manure!!! What do you do?!

More
16 years 4 months ago #2864 by sundaysbest
Hi horsey people,

I muck out - seems like every minute of my life!
I only have 1.5 horses on 2.5 acres...

I'd love to know how you manage your manure.
Do you pick up - if so HOW, what's your method?
Do you harrow? Do you kick poo?
How often etc - and how large are your paddocks for your beloved horsey mates.

Many thanks in advance!
Sundays :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #78201 by kate
We harrow the old paddock when we move the horses to a new paddock and scoop up anything in the yards and shelters for the compost heap :D It's much easier that picking it up!

Most of the time our two horses are in one of four paddocks which are about 3.5 acres in total but we also have another 10 acres next door where we sometimes put them.

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
16 years 4 months ago #78208 by sundaysbest
Kate, after harrowing - how long till you put the horses back into that paddock!?

Sundays

More
16 years 4 months ago #78216 by oskatd
Sundays, I think you are supposed to leave them at least 6 weeks after harrowing. We have 1.9ha which is all rolling to steep - to steep to harrow in the main, I have 3 paddocks, two of about an acre and the middle paddock which as the rest, being the steepest land the pond and the bog at the bottom (where the dexters dwell!) I pick up in the house paddock and I totally sympathise with you I go out first thing and last thing and seem to get about 8 buckets a day, and it's very heavy when it's wet! The other two paddocks I just leave alone, the good grazing one used to get harrowed by a kind neighbour, but when they moved the harrowing stopped. I don't have too many problems as I graze cows too, and the goats and ernie, who have done an A1 job on the ragwort this year - all leaves and flowers gone, just have to pull the stalks out.

The horse poo is in a heap behind one of the sheds - it's growing excellent pumpkins this year!

How much does half a horse eat? I guess, depending on which half you may not have to feed it?? ;)

More
16 years 4 months ago #78217 by kate
It is at least 8 weeks before they go back...sometimes the paddocks are split in half by electric tape and we can harrow half a paddock at a time...

Web Goddess

More
16 years 4 months ago #78225 by ravenseyes
The old fashioned way. Every couple of days out with fork and wheelbarrow.[xx(]

We pile it in a poo pile and sell it for $1 a trailer load on trademe.

If my lotto ticket came up I would love to buy a paddock vac or poo collector

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
16 years 4 months ago #78239 by kalnetta
Every Thursday(don't ask Me why) We pick it up and put it in a heap. Soon I will have to find someone who wants it.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
16 years 4 months ago #78249 by mhddp
when I used to do it, I used gloves and supermarket bags. Can't stand carting a wheelbarrow around but then I have a weak back. Was easier for me to just fill up the bags and put them together and gather them up later. They were emptied under the shelter belt and around any trees/shrubs on the property. Now from the stables, I put it in old feed bags and empty under the shelter belt. Also have given some away to gardeners who reported back with exceptional crops of tomatoes and cauli's.

More
16 years 4 months ago #78252 by wino
We (usually I) muck out the small paddocks every now and then - depends on how messy they are getting, sometimes daily sometimes twice a week.

The rest of the paddocks are harrowed - whatever stock is in them - when the stock comes out, not usually grazed again for a few months and usually by cows if there were horses last or vice versa.

The manure currently goes - in order of priority
1) down rabbit holes
2) into the big hollow under the pine trees, as it is a VERY big hollow (about 5 metres by 4 metres by half a metre deep) it will take a while to fill
3) on lazy days under the hedge and round the fruit trees.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
16 years 4 months ago #78263 by sundaysbest
MHDDP we do the same thing - except I use feedbags all the time in the paddocks... once one is full it's stored in one spot in the or next to the paddocks - then I *usually Mr Man* gets the quad and trailer and collects all the bags once a month(and thats ALOT of poo!), it's then dropped to a convenient spot near our driveway where our mates (whom we met on TM) come to collect for their orchard! First time in 3 years or something it's bloomed full of fruit...!!
I am still wishing for the no pickup and pristine paddocks method! :p
Sundays

More
16 years 4 months ago #78298 by Neverathome stayhomemum
Well, we have just come inside from collecting our pony poo - into grocery bags at the gate for sale. The kids and I gather it and today has been a real effort as we have been away for the holidays. Eldest daughter came up with a great invention today - using a pot plant container to hold the grocery bag open. We have a "handy clam" thingy that has a scissor action which is great:D

We either sell it or use it in the garden - great for veges!

Sundaysbest - how do you get half a horse????[:0]

More
16 years 4 months ago #78299 by reggit
There you go, TKP, a use for your feedbags, find someone with a horse that needs them :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
16 years 4 months ago #78301 by sarah lou
We just have my one horse and a grazer. The poo gets picked up every day and I put it in a big poo pile which I add to my garden when it's well rotted. It's grown the most amazing veges this summer. If they're in a paddock too far from the poo pile to barrow it back I spread it under the shelter belts.

More
16 years 4 months ago #78311 by Jo-Otago
Pick up every day until the days get too short (late May to Aug) at which point they get wormed and turned into big paddocks (3-4 acres) that they are only in for winter and then crossgrazed with sheep and cattle the rest of the year. Oh that's 3 horses. Paddock size in summer ranges from very little to maybe 2 acres but often strip graze (& run the sheep through) to avoid them turning into fat blimps. I use a 20L bucket and wee shovel which I scoop it in with, then gets hiffed under shelterbelts over the fence. Sometimes I'll make a pile to compost but usually don't get around to it. From what I understand, NZ's climate means harrowing has pretty minimal value in terms of parasite reduction. It might help spread nutrients around the paddock though. Hah one of those poo vacuums would be great. Except couldn't use one here anyway as we're too steep. Ah well... have got pretty good muscles from all the years of poo-pickup, it does have benefits... ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
16 years 4 months ago #78323 by Crusha
When our Clyde gelding was being grazed elsewhere we used to use one of those shallow garden wheelbarrows. He managed to fill one everyday. I faithfully put it into a pile and after a year started a new pile. Six months after starting the new pile began to use the stuff from the old pile. It was fantastic on everything. Forget your commercial ferts.. well rotted horse dung... can't beat it.

Often on our bigger paddocks, esp the one that we winter the horses on I wait until I top it and the mower does a great job of breaking up and spreading the piles. Its a bar mower though, with the cover off so you have to make sure it's been dry for a while (there's no cab) or it can get a bit messy!

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds