Yet another one - makes my blood boil

More
12 years 7 months ago #390755 by Cinsara
I'm with you mike, I've never figured out what is so bad about a horse sitting in a paddock not being ridden. I have 7 and none of them are ridden but they certainly don't stand there all day and do nothing. They graze, they groom each other, they kick up their heels and hoon, they look nosily at anything that catches their eye, and they are very heppy by the looks. They also eat me out of house and home but that's another story.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390762 by bevhawkins
I am so with you Cinsara and Mike, I had a beautiful QH mare who had ongoing lameness issues, she was my horse, my responsibility and I owed it to her to do the right thing. She is laid to rest in a fenced off area in my paddock planted with her fav willow trees. Do the right thing, be responsible for your own animals and don't palm them off to others where they might end up in unfortunate circumstances.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390764 by stephclark
i agree whole heartedly with you as well.. take responsiblity.. i get abit hot and bothered about people who dont do the right thing by their old lame friends because " they just cant face it"... well its all part of being in partnership with an animal that ages quicker than we do, i afraid..

i have had many oldies come thru my place..ringbone, navicular and general old age and rot..because the owners cant make the call.. so they stay with me and i do it ( local hunt )...owners dont even know ( or care to ask ) when or how. just that the horse has gone and they didnt have to do anything.. grrrr..

More
12 years 7 months ago #391073 by Oaklands
Yeah...I'm with the expensive paddock ornament brigade. My girl hasn't been ridden since I injured my shoulder badly just before Xmas 2010 (on a ride-on mower with too-tight springs in the handles would you believe!!) - but now that I don't hurt on a daily basis I'm eying her up again. Maybe I'm the one who should be sent to the works!! :D

She's here for life...so long as she still has quality of.

The "Naki" kid - living in Taradise [8D]

More
12 years 7 months ago #391092 by DiDi
I think you need to get over yourselves. I had years of relationships with two particular horses - one of whom was buried on my farm where he lived for many years and was my daughter's PC through to HT horses. I would never have even consider not burying him on the farm (advanced cancer) and thank you new owners for agreeing to that, but my other boy who was my heart and soul over 8 years, I didn't feel the same. He needed putting down for many reasons and he was sent, after being put down, for fertilizer. Horror, gosh, gasp - what kind of bitch am I? The only option for animals being put down using Phenobarbital (from my understanding)

Go back and read your threads. He could have been put on a truck to the hounds (only he didn't truck or float). He could have been sent to an Abbatoir (read the previous sentence). He could have been...

For someone like me who has been in the Veterinary field and farming for over 30 years, you know that when an animal has passed, they are gone. They are just a lump of flesh. I learnt that many years ago when trying to save twin kids from my favorite goat and the only way to attempt this was to put her down and go like hell to get the babies out. I can't explain that to people who have not experienced death with their animals but the "soul" leaves. That is all I can say.

I will agree that given that choice of having your favorite old mates living with you for as long as they are managing is the perfect world but as it turns out - that is not always an option for you or them. Just treasure every day you have with them is all I can add to this thread. Tears running down my cheeks as I write this but we have to get real and know that the decision you make for your animal is the one that has to happen.

More
12 years 7 months ago #391122 by Denneaux

DiDi;385314 wrote: I think you need to get over yourselves. I had years of relationships with two particular horses - one of whom was buried on my farm where he lived for many years and was my daughter's PC through to HT horses. I would never have even consider not burying him on the farm (advanced cancer) and thank you new owners for agreeing to that, but my other boy who was my heart and soul over 8 years, I didn't feel the same. He needed putting down for many reasons and he was sent, after being put down, for fertilizer. Horror, gosh, gasp - what kind of bitch am I? The only option for animals being put down using Phenobarbital (from my understanding)

Go back and read your threads. He could have been put on a truck to the hounds (only he didn't truck or float). He could have been sent to an Abbatoir (read the previous sentence). He could have been...

For someone like me who has been in the Veterinary field and farming for over 30 years, you know that when an animal has passed, they are gone. They are just a lump of flesh. I learnt that many years ago when trying to save twin kids from my favorite goat and the only way to attempt this was to put her down and go like hell to get the babies out. I can't explain that to people who have not experienced death with their animals but the "soul" leaves. That is all I can say.

I will agree that given that choice of having your favorite old mates living with you for as long as they are managing is the perfect world but as it turns out - that is not always an option for you or them. Just treasure every day you have with them is all I can add to this thread. Tears running down my cheeks as I write this but we have to get real and know that the decision you make for your animal is the one that has to happen.

I did go back and read the threads and I have no idea what you are objecting to.
Some people were worried that the buyer is palming a problem of to buyers on trademe. Others objected with how the how a well trained and competitive animal could just be thrown away. ..we all know there are people out there that treat them like a disposable item.
Then there was a healthy debate about the options available for euthanasia and whether you should get rid of a horse because you have no work for it.

Which of these topics did you object to so strongly?
So far this has been a very civil discussion,maybe it is you that needs to read back over the thread. ..

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

More
12 years 7 months ago #391224 by bevhawkins
Another one gone on today, an 11 month old chestnut colt. Hope someone saves this one as it looks a stunner, too damn good to waste. :(

More
12 years 7 months ago #391295 by DiDi
Denneaux - I found your response offensive and perhaps it is you that needs to go back and read a thread from someone who has been on this site for over 10 years and no doubt, those who I have helped and contributed too know who I am (not personally) but accept that I am an animal lover first and foremost.

Reality bite (and Bev will get this big time) that there are more horses out there than buyers so it becomes an issue of how best to deal with a horse when it is no longer wanted (those put on TM such as the horse that was the opening of this thread). It appalls me that someone would own a horse and then try to flick it off on Trade Me when they no longer want it or can care for it. However. "I think you need to get over yourselves" is a comment that acknowledges that fact. We can all come on here and talk about the horses 1 - 7 that we have and are useless as a two bobs watch but we love them and will keep them for as long as we can" but the reality is that is not possible for everyone. The next step is (without trying to flick them off through TM) is to take responsibility and put them down. Then comes the "how" question and mine was to point out (at least in this area) that I could get out a Vet, put my horse down humanely and once he was passed - have him taken away for fertilizer. I don't have a problem with that as once he is dead, he is dead. That - including the Vet's bill means to me that I did what was best for him.

There is no way we can save every animal and no matter how much my heart reacts to what is seen on TM etc, I know that there are 100's of TB's put down every year that are not going to make it as a racer and that is how they are dealt with. Reality bite unfortunately.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds