New record carcase weight for R2 steer?

More
12 years 7 months ago #28594 by BRL
Just sent a couple of steers off to the works - got the kill sheets back today. One of them was a 22 month old that we'd planned as a homekill shortly after he was born, but last week decided - nah.

He was a full-blood Dexter and impressively small with it. Carcase weight was (drumroll please) ... 74.5kg

Wow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390484 by PalmyCol
What a monster :rolleyes: :D
I just did a homekill whether which was a lamb last year and it was 33kg carcass weight :D and that was after cutting about 6kg of fat off it's back which was about 2 inches thick [xx(]

More
12 years 7 months ago #390498 by Ruth

BRL;384641 wrote: J...
He was a full-blood Dexter and impressively small with it. Carcase weight was (drumroll please) ... 74.5kg.

Did they charge you for the slaughter? How big was this astounding animal?

More
12 years 7 months ago #390501 by BRL

Ruth;384656 wrote: Did they charge you for the slaughter? How big was this astounding animal?

He went to Silver Fern Farms Dargaville, just got charged the usual "per head" levies (Beef + Lamb / Inspection Levy / Disease Levy). Schedule was $2.70/kg CW. Live weight was 154.7kg.

It was still cheaper than homekilling him (the butchering charges for the homekill would've made it an expensive chillybin full of meat :D ).

More
12 years 7 months ago #390530 by terralee
Strewth what a whooper:rolleyes: ......our R2 wethers kill out about that :D [;)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 7 months ago #390546 by WillEyre
Farming works just like a computer; Rubbish in Rubbish out.
Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390552 by BRL

WillEyre;384706 wrote: Farming works just like a computer; Rubbish in Rubbish out.
Ed

That's a bit of an annoying remark, but I'm going to assume that you weren't casting aspersions on my farming abilities. He was actually the progeny of an exceptional cow and a very well put together bull, he just happened to be the bovine equivalent of Billy Barty.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390557 by thevarneys
Dexters are quite small anyway (aren't they?)

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 7 months ago #390560 by BRL

thevarneys;384718 wrote: Dexters are quite small anyway (aren't they?)

They are, just not usually as small as this guy was ...

More
12 years 7 months ago #390575 by WillEyre

BRL;384712 wrote: That's a bit of an annoying remark, but I'm going to assume that you weren't casting aspersions on my farming abilities. He was actually the progeny of an exceptional cow and a very well put together bull, he just happened to be the bovine equivalent of Billy Barty.

I apologise if I caused offense.
My comment alluded to the animal, not the 'farmer'.
It just strikes me as waste of feed to carry something like that for two years for so little return. And heading your posting as ' a new record' virtually invites some barbed commentary, doesn't it?
Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds