Best Cure For Sweet Itch??

More
12 years 7 months ago #28507 by Oaklands
My Thoroughbred has a bad case of sweet itch in her elbows and I have tried various cures with even more various levels of success. Does anyone have a no-fail method of getting this under control? :(

Best results to date have been wiping the affected area thoroughly with iodine to "de-bug", then applying a good coat of Elthamol. She's on equine mix grazing, and no lucerne as it makes her head-flick.

The "Naki" kid - living in Taradise [8D]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #389456 by xevbellringer
Is the sweet itch cause by allergic reaction to the midges?

www.horsetalk.co.nz/health/174-sweetitch.shtml

I did have a horse with it on her face, so I swabbed it with Neways mouthwash which contains dioxychlorine & then put on some equifix cream. Seems to kill most things, bit like "windex" in "my big fat greek wedding".

If it's caused by allergic rxn to midge spit, then insect repellent wouldn't go amiss & maybe one of those cooling insect bite creams or hydrocortizone you can get from the chemist.

More
12 years 7 months ago #389491 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Best Cure For Sweet Itch??
Thankfully I have never had a problem with this but I did read up on it and gave it some thought. Probably daft but given that I understand that the midges come out on warm still evenings, is there any possibility that you could "dress" your horse in a way that will prevent the midges being able to access the hair and climb down to eat.

I have seen a few horses in Auckland that have like nylon skin tight covers over their heads and bodies (with the eyes and nose poking out a hole) and all the body covered. If this prevented the midges "getting to" the skin, then maybe?

Other than that, I would not have a clue apart from letting them set up an immunity to the protein that they are reacting too and or use a bug deterrent to keep the nasty little things away. I know my horses used to sometimes have bleeding legs from them but never showed any "real" reaction.

More
12 years 7 months ago #389584 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Best Cure For Sweet Itch??
Inflamol - best cure-all about....

More
12 years 7 months ago #389686 by Oaklands
Replied by Oaklands on topic Best Cure For Sweet Itch??
Thanks y'all for the suggestions so far - they are all ones that haven't yet been tried specifically, so I will give them a go and see how we get on!!

The "Naki" kid - living in Taradise [8D]

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds