John Deere or Husqvarna ride-on?

More
12 years 9 months ago #389264 by sod
Both those mowers you can get mulching,collecting and discharge systems for. Stu said about blocking on wet grass JDs do too, we work with a lot of mowing contractors and all seem to have that problem, mulching is really only good on lighter grass or when dried out heavy growth leaves clumps All the best finding the best mower at the best price :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #389368 by lunny2005
Decided to get a contractor for now - the cost of a decent (e.g. Husqvarna) mower with a catcher (plus petrol, maintenance, time) isn't really worth it and we got some good quotes for lawn mowing. Wasn't keen on getting something (relatively) 'cheap' (MTD comes into mind, happy to be proven wrong though) for 4-5k with a catcher as I am really after something that'll last.

More
12 years 9 months ago #389372 by sod
I think thats a great idea :) now you can get on with other things

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 8 months ago #394033 by howdy
I got a new JD LA100 series - fantastic, even topped the overgrown paddock of 4 acres without missing a beat. Hasn't blocked up once with the mulcher and belts and blades are fine. I mow 1 acre every week, sometimes twice in summer. The power steering is great and it turns on a sixpence. Sure it cost $4500 or something but I'm glad I paid for quality and wasn't tempted by "bargains" on trade me!

More
10 years 6 months ago #476975 by wendy2011

howdy;388558 wrote: I got a new JD LA100 series - fantastic, even topped the overgrown paddock of 4 acres without missing a beat. Hasn't blocked up once with the mulcher and belts and blades are fine. I mow 1 acre every week, sometimes twice in summer. The power steering is great and it turns on a sixpence. Sure it cost $4500 or something but I'm glad I paid for quality and wasn't tempted by "bargains" on trade me!

I am looking for a JD ride-on too. Where did you buy that JD LA100 for $4500? Thanks. Here in Hamilton, a JD 110 will cost $4000.

More
10 years 4 months ago #481274 by paulden
I know the thread is old but if I found it so might others.

I have a Dixon ZTR. It can't cut paddock grass if it is in full growth or damp. It sticks in the deck and just clogs it up. Stop the blades and try to restart them and it the grass in the deck will stall the mower. In the dry summer months it is great.

I brought a demo model from a dealer and once sold trying to get service from them was pretty impossible or expensive. One bolt on the catcher was clearly the wrong one - I never got it fixed by them. I serviced once at a Dixon dealer and will never go back.

Now Husqvana have brought the mower plans and produce a ZTR almost identical (now in orange) so I took the mower there for service. Felt like moving from a cowboy service centre to a real mechanic. They showed me the deck and blade modifications they do as standard on their model and applied to mine.

I'm mowing 1 acre - in winter every 5-6 days. With over 60 trees around the property the turning is real important.
And around the house with the blower catcher unit.

One other think I have noticed with the ZTR versus other mowers they tend to have LOTS of power - this can be a bad thing. I find it is very easy to turn so fast that you quite literally rip the lawn up - and I say lawn as it is mostly around the house where it is lawn not paddock grass (out there it is fine). I find it difficult not to dig up the ground turning around the many trees on the lawn - the inside wheel is on tender grass partially sheltered by the tree - and the inside wheel has a tendency to just rip it out. Can make a bit of a mess.
Many say the Zero Turn are cheaper - no stearing to fail etc simpler maint. I have modified the deck (removed the mulching baffle) to get better grass throw - high lift blades, its better but still not great in winter.

In 12 months - I broke main deck belt and catcher belt $60+ each. Services at 10 hrs and 50 hrs cost over $600 (and nothing was wrong).
The mower also uses about 10 litres per hr fuel.
The manuals say to service every 50 hrs but that seems excessive. Check the fuel filter (get a clear one helps), change the oil and filter like your car, and find all the grease nipples and these ZTR's are easier to maintain. And spend more time sharpening blades than you ever did on a push mower (think I sharpened those three times in 15 years) this mower twice a year did not seem often enough. And beware they wear out at the back also (probably more so - then they don't lift and throw the grass - and they are $300'ish for a set).

The blades do need sharpening every 25 hrs or so mowing my property, but with a bench grinder you can do that yourself. Getting to the blades on the ZTR is a pain - side mower lifters are not real effective due to the caster wheels up front. Not suggesting its worth the money but compare the access with a walker ZTR mower with a lift up front deck (god I'd love that - for cleaning and servicing).

These rideon mowers are expensive to buy and to run. Make sure you really NEED one not just WANT one. Add up the buy + services + fuel + your extra time servicing it.

More
10 years 4 months ago #481343 by katieb
Just got a kubota T2380 on Friday :) way better than the John deer L111 that wasnt designed for what we have here(3.5-4hrs not all level)

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
10 years 3 months ago #481403 by wandering free
We had a MTD that we traded it in after 12 years, it went through a belt at least every year, when we replaced it in 2007 we got a MTD Yardman with an electric clutch, instead of the old slipping belt system on the old one, and this year had to replace the belts for the first time, so I would only get a mower with an electric clutch for the cutting deck.

Since the middle of last year we have not needed to mow much, we let the grass grow to encourage the bees and have a couple of battery mowers for the lawns next to the house, and just purchased a sickle mower at Xmas for when it needs cutting, we have used 75% less fuel up to now, the bees are happy and it looks like nature intended and after all nature always wins in the end, something else I have observed we get less weeds unless you count yarrow.

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

More
10 years 3 months ago #481660 by TPK
I have a Hustler Fastrak...has taken the mowing time from 4 hours on the lawnmaster, down to 1 1/4 hours...4 year warranty..and the best thing ever. Its the price of a car, built to last, but worth it in every respect. Two beer holders as well .

More
10 years 3 months ago #481664 by igor
Sure they are beer holders TPK? They don't have a cut out piece for the handle of a coffee mug do they? I saw a new mower recently that had a cup holder the right size for a big beer bottle and also a cut out for the handle. Couldn't tell you what make it was though.

More
10 years 3 months ago #481952 by kb
Replied by kb on topic John Deere or Husqvarna ride-on?

igor;485436 wrote: I saw a new mower recently that had a cup holder the right size for a big beer bottle and also a cut out for the handle. Couldn't tell you what make it was though.

Not the best thing with anything fizzy unless you are mowing a tennis court!
I tried it and made a real mess and lost half my drink!

More
6 years 4 months ago #538318 by hanrysmith
I'd go with a Toro Self-Step ( i think thats what its called) ive had mine for 5 years and it runs great, the good thing about it is that the speed adjusts to how fast you walk so you don't have to worry about adjusting the speed and all that.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds