John Deere or Husqvarna ride-on?

More
12 years 9 months ago #28466 by lunny2005
Hi,

We have a property with about 1000m^2 of lawn (~0.25 acres?), it's actually a residential property, and we are looking at a ride-on mower now that grass is growing (slowly) again. Been comparing John Deere and Husqvarna mowers (and staying away from MTD!), can't tell much difference between them, and trying to do some research on the net, the majority of reviews are leaning towards John Deere (but then most of the reviews are from US, so that's most likely biased).

Just wondering if anyone has any useful info/experience on the quality of the two? Husqvarna is slightly cheaper, although not by a lot, so it really comes down to quality and how long they'll last...

Many thanks in advance! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #388986 by sundaysbest
I've had a JD and now a Husky and personally like the Husky... tho, with not alot of mowing (ie your 1/4ac) you would be fine with either brand... just make sure you get the model suited to the amount of mowing you will be doing... we had endless problems with the first JD, due to it not being the right model for the amount of mowing.
The Husky we have now is old as the hills and falling to bits, but still does a great job.
Sundays

More
12 years 9 months ago #388994 by WillEyre
After wearing out a couple of ride-on mowers it slowly dawned on me that all of the small 'cheap' makes (ie. the ones with a steering wheel and the mower deck under your feet) are truly just junk and completely unsuitable for big areas of grass and the occasional paddock. They are made for american residential lawns and are inclined to fall to pieces if asked to do anything more than that. Built in obsolescence is a given.
I was forever buying new belts and blades and looking for parts that had fallen off.
Finally I bought a zero-turn Dixon (their second -tier model)and in the five years I've had it I've replaced the drivebelt only once and I'm still on the original (three) blades.
It cost me about 10 grand (more than the truck I drive to town), but has so far lasted me as long,and cost me about the same as the two previous rideons that drove me crazy.
I know it's a lot to pay - I believe they're overpriced - they all are - but if you don't pay it initially, you'll pay it eventually. And in the interim it will drive you nuts.
(By the way, one of my two previous ones was a Husqvarna).
Ed

I liked Occam's Razor so much, I bought the company.

More
12 years 9 months ago #389006 by kalnetta
J.D. all the way def not husky the decks are too light.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
12 years 9 months ago #389012 by cowvet
neither brand stand up well to buildings collapsing on them...but our replacement was a Husky

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 9 months ago #389021 by sod
Cowvet they just aint up to the job huh :D :D here it would husky all the way for your size lawn

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 9 months ago #389026 by The Kats Place
JD, wonderful thing and boy does it get some work here, never misses a beat

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
12 years 9 months ago #389040 by igor
If you only have 1/4 acre how can you justify a ride-on?

More
12 years 9 months ago #389049 by busholme
Husky for me too. I've had both.

They will last a long time if you look after them.

30 - 50 Sheep, 6 chooks, 2 dogs, 1 cat and a wife - who wants highland cows, donkeys, ducks, alpacas etc [:D]

More
12 years 9 months ago #389052 by cowvet

igor;383055 wrote: If you only have 1/4 acre how can you justify a ride-on?

depends how much your time is worth

I love animals...they're delicious

More
12 years 9 months ago #389061 by lunny2005

WillEyre;383004 wrote:
Finally I bought a zero-turn Dixon (their second -tier model)and in the five years I've had it I've replaced the drivebelt only once and I'm still on the original (three) blades.
It cost me about 10 grand (more than the truck I drive to town), but has so far lasted me as long,and cost me about the same as the two previous rideons that drove me crazy.
I know it's a lot to pay - I believe they're overpriced - they all are - but if you don't pay it initially, you'll pay it eventually. And in the interim it will drive you nuts.
(By the way, one of my two previous ones was a Husqvarna).
Ed

Hmm, be difficult for me to justify 10k considering the garden tractor types are about half of that... that said I never really considered a ZTR because of the cost, think it's time I do some research on them.

igor;383055 wrote: If you only have 1/4 acre how can you justify a ride-on?

My time :) Plus my parents have a small block that will benefit if I get a ride on as well.

Thanks for the replies, think I know which side I am leaning towards, will do some more research into it before I buy though :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #389063 by Stu_R
ok ... well JD's i have no experience with
Husky's yep they are ok .. mulcher or side shoot probably brilliant .. the big deck cather models .. um dont stand up to even dew let alone wet grass ... deck to big and catcher shoot to small and not enough grunt to chuck grass up it .. clog up at drop of a hat and make a hell of a mess
Personaly i would have gone side shoot model if was my place and mower , but it wasnt
Walker zeroturn catcher mower .. very good actually :) .. way out of my budget , but great to use and does a hell oif a good job

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #389072 by Shropshire Blue
How about getting in a lifestyle block mowing contractor?

If your lawn takes an hour to mow, $60 per mow and 20 mows per year job done and no worries about machine breaking down or replacement costs .

More
12 years 9 months ago #389155 by lunny2005

Shropshire Blue;383088 wrote: How about getting in a lifestyle block mowing contractor?

If your lawn takes an hour to mow, $60 per mow and 20 mows per year job done and no worries about machine breaking down or replacement costs .

That's the other thing we are looking at. Be a much easier option if there aren't like 3 properties (none of the lawns are big though) that I can make good use of a ride on, in which case it'll be hard to justify the cost of buying...

If I were to buy one, would it worth considering something that has a bag for catching the grass or would a mulching kit be fine?

More
12 years 9 months ago #389246 by Shropshire Blue
I'd tend to go for one that catches as you can then compost the clippings and use around the garden for mulching

Prolonged mulching from the mower may lead to a Thatch building in your lawn which can be detrimental to it's health long term.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds