Goats with scabby under-tails?

More
12 years 7 months ago #28451 by Squeaky Hollow2
Hi all, has anyone seen this before with goats? Their under-tails have a crusty, scabby rim, in a line with the hair-line. The wether also has sort of nodules on the skin of the undertail. They are otherwise healthy, fat and well fed, drenched, no footrot, rain scald or any other skin infection I can see. No strange foods eaten, at the moment they are pretty much living on meadow hay and vegetables like carrots, pumpkin, and kitchen vege trimmings. The wether had it first, now his mother has it (there are only two goats in the paddock). They don't have the runs and it's not an area that gets wet or dirty at all so I'm a bit puzzled. It wasn't easy taking a pic of a goat's bottom! Thanks for any ideas.:eek:

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388873 by Squeaky Hollow2
PS thought i'd add that they have no scabs on ears, nose or mouth, also that they have clean dry huts they rush to at the first sign of rain, so they have not been wet or cold at all. On hand I have Tetravet blue spray, Vetadine wash, and Filtabac. Which would be the best to use, i thought maybe the blue spray, but wonder if it's OK on "sensitive areas".

More
12 years 7 months ago #388886 by goatmama
Hi SH2, nope havent come accross that one. Will eagerly wait to see what is suggested.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
12 years 7 months ago #388921 by Squeaky Hollow2
No ideas anyone? I thought this LSB forum would be the best place to ask, lots of goat people here.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388929 by sundaysbest
I'm sure someone will be here soon to offer some advice... there are tonnes of goat junkies here!! :)

Sundays

More
12 years 7 months ago #388934 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Goats with scabby under-tails?
Hi,
I'm a goat newbie myself, so will follow this with a beady eye!

I think the second photo is blardy awesome: combination of flash and the head!

hope some experts will turn up soon!

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
12 years 7 months ago #388941 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Goats with scabby under-tails?
Well I've kept goats for many years and I've never seen anything like it :( It looks sore... I'd probably try filterbac and if that doesn't help then talk to the vet.

Sorry not to be more help
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 7 months ago #388942 by Organix
Where in NZ are you? Climatic factors could give some additional clues. (OH is an 'ex-goatie' and is on your case [;)] )

What other symptoms? Head shaking, scratching, how long have they had it, cheesey odour/exudate? What parasitic controls do you apply (including for external)? This site is interesting.
Best guess at the moment is a mite caused mange.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 7 months ago #388951 by eelcat
Actually looks just like Abby, our doe who lost her twins prematurely.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 7 months ago #388960 by LongRidge
The most likely cause is dermataphilosis. When goats get it, it starts somewhere, so because it is not yet anywhere else doesn't mean that it's not on the way to other places and other goats.
See if giving the areas an iodine wash and then a grease with Rawleighs or Teat Salve helps.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388964 by Andrea1
I hadn't seen it before, so sent your photos to my goat mentor. This is what she had to say:

"Looks like a fungal infection. Try 1% alum solution. Reminds me of what we had on one or two sheep and Angoras years back. If they've had wet fleeces a lot this winter, or were walking around covered in snow that melted on them, that can do it - one of the wool-rot fungi, and Max Merrall found the alum worked best. Worked for us."

She's been in goats for over 40 years, and she has been my first go-to person for more than 10 years now (she's in Otago, but I had been emailing her before we even thought about coming to live in New Zealand) when I can't fix it.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388968 by LongRidge
Alum is better than iodine at some bugs. You could also do what our vets advised us with scabby calves. Alum wash, then iodine wash then grease. The grease helps the skin to stay soft after the drying out by the alum and the iodine, and also keeps the moisture off the sore, which bugs must have to grow.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388978 by Squeaky Hollow2
THANKS so much! I knew the goat folk would come out of the woodwork, lol. OK will do the alum wash, then iodine then salve. Won't be easy, the wether is enormous and stroppy and spooky so I'll have to wait for some large men to visit, then use my charms to lure them.......to the goat paddock to hold Gus while I doctor his botty! Then, if they are lucky, they might get a cuppa tea.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388982 by blimeyvicki
If you can tip the goat upside down you can handle quite a large animal with just one other person. My vet showed me how to tip them and I have done it a couple of times by myself to clip hooves etc. Works well.

More
12 years 7 months ago #389123 by 4trees
Hi, looks very much like a fungus similar to what horses get called mud fever, we have had this when we have gone to dock lambs after there has been a lot of mud and rain in the paddocks over several days, once the weather fines up it all seems to come right on its own. Some vaseline around it anus will probably stop the scabbiness, and iodine on the pimple. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds