Bit of a random request but...

More
12 years 7 months ago #28412 by jerry leadbetter
Hello All,

Been away from here for a while, and we're now not on our block anymore - back in the big smoke on a new business venture.

I was wondering if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction for a project we have on at present that involves sourcing a donkey.

Basically we are producing and shooting a music video for a pretty big NZ singer. In it we need to have a Tijuana Zebra, which is a donkey - white or pale colour, that has been dyed / painted to look like a Zebra - they're pretty popular in Mexico and Central America.

So, I'm trying to find two things - one, a donkey that we can use - and two someone who knows how to dye / paint the animals a) so they actually look right and b) what to actually use so that it is completely safe for the animal itself.

Does anyone know where I can start here? Sanctuary's? Private owners? Breeders? Need's to be in the Auckland area, we're shooting on location in the region - but obviously we need to have a pretty indepth chat with them about requirements for the shoot, how to achieve it safely, transportation and correct handling etc.

Thanks for any pointers that you may have, we need to be very careful on this one to ensure all the right controls and animal welfare is looked after so looking for someone with some experience (and a creative / open mind!) behind them.

Cheers

Alex

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388444 by LongRidge
Will get back to you tonight with some names to try.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388447 by digby

More
12 years 7 months ago #388451 by drifter
Get hold of Anna: annalowhorseproductions.com/ /
This is totally her area of expertise :D :D

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388453 by sundaysbest
Ditto drifter - get in touch with Anna... she'll help.
Sundays

More
12 years 7 months ago #388496 by jerry leadbetter
Thanks Drifter, have emailed and will get in touch by phone tomorrow - hopefully she knows someone with a donkey or mule that could help!

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388503 by BillyTheTractor
Im sorry we're up in Northland as we have a couple of lovely donkeys! A white one and a grey one, very pretty girls! :D

Wee Farm

More
12 years 7 months ago #388568 by LongRidge
Sorry about the delay. Questions you will need answers to are
1. How big? Donkeys range in size from 28 inches to 60 inches. These extremes are rare, and finding a white one will be difficult.
2. How well trained? I have a perfect colour, size and shaped one, and she might behave herself. But the bombproof one is wrong colour and the wrong shape :-).
3. How long will you want her or gelding for? It is coming up to foaling time, so the perfect one is probably in foal so the owner won't want her moved.
4. Some donkeys misbehave if they leave their friend. Can you manage having 2 on the set?
The Donkey and Mule Society rep for Auckland lives in Runciman Rd, Pukekohe. Marion van Dijk, ph 09 238 9359, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds