Chicken Plucker

More
12 years 7 months ago #388577 by missab
Replied by missab on topic Chicken Plucker

Simkin;382541 wrote: If you look straight down at them you see 'fingers' protruding into the drum. When you turn the machine on, the part with the fingers rotates and rubs the feathers off the chook. I've read about them in chook books - they are very popular in countries where you can sell your homekill directly to your customers.

sounds like a nightmare to clean[}:)] maybe some one can come up with gloves made of the same stuff, at a cheaper price for people who only do a few a year? :D [;)]

3 equines (brendon,bellissimo and mariah), 6 wiltshire ewes + 4 ram lambs, 1 mini goat (pinky),1 berkshire sow (penelope), 20 odd chickens,6 sebastopol goslings, 3 flemish giant rabbits(bones,bounce,moon), longhaired guinea pig(splish)1 mastif (auto), 2 chihuahuas (mia,seeka),1 maincoon cat...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388581 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Chicken Plucker
They are very easy to clean. We used to have something similar when we were doing what Simkin mentioned above in the US, just hot, soapy water then a smidge of bleach in cold water to rinse.

I do pluck with tight-fitting dishwashing gloves on, as it does speed things up, so maybe try that?

More
12 years 7 months ago #388672 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Chicken Plucker
the one we used was easy to clean, most of the feathers wash away with a hose blast, then you give a scub down with detergent or bleach...

you should be able to find instructions for building them online, i think it was only 2-3 hundred dollars to make the one we hired. it has a motor to turn the plastic drum with the fingers in it and a frame to sit in... not much more to it than that.

More
12 years 7 months ago #388677 by debnjohn
Replied by debnjohn on topic Chicken Plucker
Here's a cheaper alternative
livingthefrugallife.blogspot.com/2009/07...chicken-plucker.html

or the same idea here
survivalfarm.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/ch...ade-less-than-10-00/

It would be better with the battery-powered drill I think. Perhaps hang the chicken up (over the compost heap) and then manoeuvre the drill rather than the other way around.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" Albert Einstein

More
12 years 7 months ago #388718 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Chicken Plucker
they def look cheaper, i liked the speed and ease of the barrel one though. can do a couple at a time, just drop them in and they are done in no time...

• Rod LSB
12 years 7 months ago #389568 by Rod LSB
Replied by Rod LSB on topic Chicken Plucker
Thanks Simkin for your help in sourcing these guys, yes they advertise them on Trade me for $1000 I managed to squeeze them a bit more on the price they gave you, and the deal will be available lunch time Friday, Very limited stock so if any of you are thinking about getting one I would suggest you grab it now.

More
12 years 7 months ago #389571 by missab
do you think they would do a deal on their chicken feeders? im sure they would be a great hit on here esp the 12kg ones lol

3 equines (brendon,bellissimo and mariah), 6 wiltshire ewes + 4 ram lambs, 1 mini goat (pinky),1 berkshire sow (penelope), 20 odd chickens,6 sebastopol goslings, 3 flemish giant rabbits(bones,bounce,moon), longhaired guinea pig(splish)1 mastif (auto), 2 chihuahuas (mia,seeka),1 maincoon cat...

• Rod LSB
12 years 7 months ago #389601 by Rod LSB
Yes theres two types one for smaller chickens and bantams holds 4kg and also the large one that holds 10kg there a lot cheaper than anything else on the market and stonger as they use 1.6mm metal - deals will be appearing on these items in the LSB deal club from 9th Sept- happy shopping

More
12 years 7 months ago #389602 by missab
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

More
12 years 7 months ago #389615 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic Chicken Plucker
Hi Rod, or Kate, can I use a credit card on the deal club thingy ?
Just had a look and signed up, I assume you can use the credit card to buy the voucher for the item

• Rod LSB
12 years 7 months ago #389675 by Rod LSB
Yes you can no problems.

More
12 years 7 months ago #389683 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Chicken Plucker
Yes, you can use a credit card or paypal or direct money to bank account :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 7 months ago #389702 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Chicken Plucker
I can vouch for their chicken feeders. Sturdy and very well made.

We started with 2 chooketerias and the nuts and bolts came loose far too often - until we replaced them with locking ones. I know they now make them from metal but we still got the wooden ones. Within 2 weeks the mice had gnawed through the ply. Now 2 years old they would urgently need a new coat of paint. They also are very small in comparison - too small for large breed chooks to comfortably eat from them.

More
12 years 7 months ago #389716 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic Chicken Plucker

Rod LSB;383749 wrote: Yes you can no problems.

Kate;383757 wrote: Yes, you can use a credit card or paypal or direct money to bank account :D

Good stuff, if I can work out how to work the system I will buy one of the pluckers tomorrow when they are available.

More
12 years 7 months ago #389722 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Chicken Plucker
The system is simple....
you buy a subscription to the deal club
you buy a voucher for the deal
you follow the instructions on the voucher

There are only 5 chicken pluckers available in the deal club and I've already heard from one other member who wants one so don't leave it too late :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds