Horse in the hole.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387336 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Horse in the hole.
Driving distance in how long? I'd shy away from trying to get to Invercargill for an event by road, unless I was doing an intentionally long trip with sightseeing. For a two-day conference we flew down, and that took most of a day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387339 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Horse in the hole.
As I see it, Auckland to Wellington is at least 580km whatever route you choose, and that is Papakura to Porirua, so to do that in 5 hours is flying![;)]
Naah. Flying takes one hour plus another for the airport bother...[8D]

More
12 years 7 months ago #387351 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Horse in the hole.
I prefer to travel at night when it is near full moon. There is good visibility and usually a lot less traffic than in the day time so less delays. I'd still say Ak to Wtn in five hours is pushing one's luck though.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387353 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Horse in the hole.

Ruth;381148 wrote: I used to do weekend trips from Auckland to here (then about 4.5 hours, now four hours) and while it wasn't just down the road, it was still worth the trip. Getting friends and family to pop up here in a similar manner elicits the same response: too far.

You'll find it's a LOT less time to Auckland now Ruth. Auckland goes all the way to Te Hana (north of Wellsford) since Rodney district has been incorporated into the super city. [;)] :p

We used to be 1hr 45min from Auckland, now we're 20 minutes away. :rolleyes:[}:)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #387354 by Ruth
More specifically then, it takes four hours exactly from door to door - central Auckland.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387374 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Horse in the hole.
What has all this got to do with a horse in a hole?

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387377 by Ruth
Absolutely nothing. :) It's a conversation and often they wander.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387484 by Rothwell
Replied by Rothwell on topic Horse in the hole.
Hmmmm, perhaps the whats-it-called .... ahhh yes Alsheimers, has got me.
1.5hrs Wgt to Bulls, 1hr Bulls-Taihape, 2.5hrs Taihape-Tokoroa (West Lake), 1hr Tokoroa-Tatuanui (via Matamata), 1hr to Auckland equals 7 hours ..... Back in the '70's I could really push the Mk7 Jag through the West Lake and the Hauraki Plains ....

More
12 years 7 months ago #387490 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Horse in the hole.

Rothwell;381336 wrote: Hmmmm, perhaps the whats-it-called .... ahhh yes Alsheimers, has got me.
1.5hrs Wgt to Bulls, 1hr Bulls-Taihape, 2.5hrs Taihape-Tokoroa (West Lake), 1hr Tokoroa-Tatuanui (via Matamata), 1hr to Auckland equals 7 hours ..... Back in the '70's I could really push the Mk7 Jag through the West Lake and the Hauraki Plains ....

Heheh. :D Maybe the comfort of the ride made the trip seem so much faster.[8D]

More
12 years 7 months ago #387516 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Horse in the hole.
I'm glad everyone has commented on Rothwells Wellington to Auckland in 5 hrs and now the failing memory has been revisited!!! I was going to comment that Levin to Taupo is 3 hours and we are at least a good hour North of Wellington (90kms), so unless Auckland is now only an hour north of Taupo then that would be seriously over the speed limit!

Back to tomos appearing though, which is where the thread started.

A couple of years ago we had a large cow size hole open up behind the barn, where there was some remains of an old concrete floor. Luckily nothing fell down it. It was at least 4 feet deep and sort of opened up at the bottom. We decided it may have been an old offal hole that had collapsed, out the back of what may have been originally a cow shed.

Filled it in and thought it was done but last year after building our flash herd home extension to the barn, and floored it with crushed rotten rock, a round hole appeared about half a metre deep-in the middle of the floor-probably about 10 mtres away from where the old offal hole had been. We filled it in with a trailer load of rock. Remember we are on boulder strewn old river bed here, not limestone country!

In mid July this year the round-well shaped hole opened up again in the same place, this time about 30cms deep. We again filled it in again with rocks lying around outside. This is under cover, in the shed where up to 20 cows and calves stand around at night, though they had been shut out of it when it appeared for the second time.

I'm thinking perhaps heavy rain coming down the bank outside, underground, scours out the river gravels below and it just sinks-really a bit scary.

Here is a photo of the dog sitting beside the hole, now filled in for the second time in 12 months!

Attached files
File Attachment:

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387544 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Horse in the hole.
:) good to see Gracie on Hole guard duty there Sue :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 7 months ago #387548 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Horse in the hole.
Dog don't look to happy are you sure there isn't a bone down there:confused:;)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 7 months ago #387555 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Horse in the hole.
She didn't like being told to stop eating calf poo and to sit and do as she was told!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387559 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Horse in the hole.

Hawkspur;381171 wrote: As I see it, Auckland to Wellington is at least 580km whatever route you choose, and that is Papakura to Porirua, so to do that in 5 hours is flying![;)]
Naah. Flying takes one hour plus another for the airport bother...[8D]

Takes us 4 hours from more or less Papakura to Taupo! ( and that is sticking to the speed limit) Would have to be at least 3 more to Wellington. Love to have been a cop with a speed camera for that one!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 7 months ago #387560 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Horse in the hole.
No cameras back in the '70s ..... :-) And travelling at night meant that I could see the approaching cars.
Back to the topic !!!! If you want tomos, the place to buy is the Takaka Hill. Lots of moa skeletons up there still waiting to be discivered.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds