Horse in the hole.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387228 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Horse in the hole.

Ruth;381008 wrote: That's very interesting. I thought, because other people have written about Tomo as well, that it was a more widespread problem.

The earth moves for us up here, in a different way!

Where is the rescue-interested vet based?

Helensville

I love animals...they're delicious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387229 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Horse in the hole.

cowvet;381051 wrote: Helensville

A long way south, then. [;)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #387231 by cowvet

Ruth;381052 wrote: A long way south, then. [;)]

still northland isn't it?

More
12 years 7 months ago #387235 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Horse in the hole.

cowvet;381054 wrote: still northland isn't it?

uummm not realy.. more north west auckland..

wish i had known there was someone about when i had been involved in hauling horses out of drainage ditches on the neighbours place ( multiple times.. stupid owners kept putting horses in problem paddock and horses kept getting stuck )

what a missh.. lots of ropes and straining people

More
12 years 7 months ago #387239 by Ruth

cowvet;381054 wrote: still northland isn't it?

Depends on your perspective. It's far too close to Auckland for my liking! [}:)]

Northland officially starts around about the Kaipara Harbour, I discovered the other day, but the Far North is a long way further up than that. The wild west Far North is even further. If you're not north of Mangamuka and Kaeo, you just don't qualify. I suspect rich Kerikeri is glad about that.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387251 by little red digger
Way back in the old days the monks in England would dig what they call a bell mine. They started with a narrow hole just wide enough to dig straight down. When they got to the coal seam they would widen out the excavation and haul the coal up through the original narrow hole. When they used up the coal in that pit the moved a few yards over and started again. This was a reat method of mining but a couple of hundred years later you would find a field that was full of bell mines. The only thing holding the ground up was the small area of coal they left between each pit. You could loose a whole heard if you were not carefull. Drive over it with modern gear and down you go. Even building a house could cause problems. no maps showing where the mining took place and you could own a flat field on day and a hole in the ground the next. There is always a consequence in digging holes. I have dug far too many for my own good and still carry on digging. I have a bridge on the section at home and i get over it regurlarly. It goes no where and it crosses nothing but the slow walk from one side to the other always make me feel better.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
12 years 7 months ago #387258 by cowvet

stephclark;381058 wrote: uummm not realy.. more north west auckland..

wish i had known there was someone about when i had been involved in hauling horses out of drainage ditches on the neighbours place ( multiple times.. stupid owners kept putting horses in problem paddock and horses kept getting stuck )

what a missh.. lots of ropes and straining people

northland ...north island - same diff to a cantab

More
12 years 7 months ago #387259 by Ruth

cowvet;381081 wrote: northland ...north island - same diff to a cantab

I thought that would be the case! It took me a while to realise how far it was from Christchurch to Dunedin to Invercargill, and how many areas were involved around and between them all. I, like many Far-Northlanders, have rarely spent much time way down south. If we didn't study some of it at school, we probalby don't know it much unless we've gone there since.

For all Cantabrians, we offer a Far North Experience holiday programme. [;)] Scrub cutting, in this case, is optional. Everyone else we put to work.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387296 by stephclark

cowvet;381081 wrote: northland ...north island - same diff to a cantab

:D :D :D touche :D

More
12 years 7 months ago #387307 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Horse in the hole.
WE found one of our horses missing, (there waer 13 horses, and could only see 12) went looking on the paddock that went straight down the side of a big hill, after about an hour found the horse up to his neck in water, in a tomo, and it took several hours to get him out, as the motor bike was not big enough, and the tractor could not get close enough, but a long rope and we had pulled him up a bit with the bike, so could get some breaking in gear around his middle, and then pulled him out with the tractor, took over an hour to get him back up to the stable with was up the top of the hill, and then had the vet attend to him as he had been in all night, in deep water in winter. We had to hose him down as he was caked with mud, and then we put a heat lamp on in the stable, put a cover on him with towels, which we kept changing every hour. It took several days, before he could walk properly. and guess what his paddock name became Tomo, and he lives away up north now.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387309 by Rothwell
Replied by Rothwell on topic Horse in the hole.
Distance perceptions are interesting. It used to take me about 5 hours comfortable driving to get from Auckland to Wellington. But if any Aucklander was asked to go to Wellington for the weekend, most would say "way too far". It takes us about 5 hours to get from Nelson to Christchurch, which many people do regularly. Then another 4 hours to get to Dunedin. We do the 2 overnights in Christchurch, so go to Christchurch in the evening, go to Dunedin and return to Christchurch, then stay in Christchurch the night and back to Nelson next morning......

More
12 years 7 months ago #387316 by Ruth
I used to do weekend trips from Auckland to here (then about 4.5 hours, now four hours) and while it wasn't just down the road, it was still worth the trip. Getting friends and family to pop up here in a similar manner elicits the same response: too far.

More
12 years 7 months ago #387328 by stephclark
agree.. its what you are used to..i have family who live in auckland complain that the 45mins to my place is tooo far...( suits me [;)] )

i used to regularly do friday night drive to either napier or kawakawa.. didnt think anything of it...

umm rothwell.... 5 hours auck to wgtn?..what in heavens name are you driving and at what speed!.. we often send troops to wgtn for work.. i allow 8 hours.. if they do it in under that, i know the young sods are speeding

More
12 years 7 months ago #387330 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Horse in the hole.
Rothwell that is a very high average speed to do it in 5 hours, we came back to here from Hamilton at Field days so would love to know how you did it!! We have been up that way quite a lot so know the roads well and they are a lot better now than they used to be. We have gone from here to CH CH, bottom of South Island, Queens town and many others as well to pick up/deliver trucks as well no problem. We have family over the hill that are to scared to come over, Great in my book love that hill :D :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 7 months ago #387335 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Horse in the hole.
Rothwell must drive a bit faster than many people do. The secret to a high average speed of course is to limit the stops along the way. I have done Dunedin to Picton in eight hours then Wellington to Whangarei in nine and a half but I don't recommend doing it non-stop like I did as I was very tired when I got there. I knew a man who did Wellington to Whangarei in twelve hours in a Mk2 Zephyr when the Zephyr was new. That must have been pretty good going on the unsealed roads of the time. In all seriousness though there is no place in New Zealand that is not within driving distance of any other place in New Zealand.

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds