Clydesdale Mare

More
12 years 8 months ago #385150 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic Clydesdale Mare

BRL;378758 wrote: Sorry guys - I'm going to have to disagree with a few of you ...

Years ago I owned a full Clydie mare (registered and all). She was my first horse, I'd just turned 34 at the time, getting back to a normal life after a brain haemorrhage, and wanted a horse I could bond with and enjoy riding.

There is nothing, nothing at all that comes close to the feeling of pure joy you get cantering on a heavy horse, with the possible exception of:

• Out on a road ride with a group of riders when trail bikes pass you on a metal road, everyone panics except you and your serenely relaxed horse. "I don't know what those other horses are upset about, I'm just going to stand here ...."
  • Swimming a Clydesdale in the ocean.
  • Lying back to back with your horse in the paddock.
  • Greeting your wedding guests on the driveway on your wedding day, wearing shorts and an old t-shirt as you lead the old girl up to a paddock where she can lean over the fence and watch you get married in the garden.
  • Galloping on a heavy horse.

That's gorgeous :D

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #385229 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Clydesdale Mare
Well i have to do a plug for Clydie crosses. I have one and he is absolutely gorgeous and i wouldn't swap him for the world. :D :D

Yes he can be strong sometimes but has a heart of gold and really does try to please you. And yes he can jump to! But he does take after the Clydie side of his family in the weight department LOL!

He was one of Louise W's youngsters so he did have a great start to life... :D Actually I think might be half brother to the Clydie mare that Lou showed in her posts...(correct me if im wrong Lou)

Jan

More
12 years 8 months ago #385246 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic Clydesdale Mare

Jan;378854 wrote: Well i have to do a plug for Clydie crosses. I have one and he is absolutely gorgeous and i wouldn't swap him for the world. :D :D

Yes he can be strong sometimes but has a heart of gold and really does try to please you. And yes he can jump to! But he does take after the Clydie side of his family in the weight department LOL!

He was one of Louise W's youngsters so he did have a great start to life... :D Actually I think might be half brother to the Clydie mare that Lou showed in her posts...(correct me if im wrong Lou)

Yup Jan, your boy is the first foal that we bred out of Debi who is also Meg's dam. Holden actually takes after both his parents when it comes to his weight. Hamish (his sire for those that don't know) hasn't seen a hard feed or a cover in his life and, even now with NO grass in his paddock and only a slice of hay a day to exist on, he is a pork chop [:I] Holden was only ever going to be a very solid and very sensible chap with parents like he has [;)] bless him.

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
12 years 8 months ago #385330 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Clydesdale Mare
*Sigh!* I LOVE Hamish... & Debi (RIP)... & the supermodel Megastar... :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #385333 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Clydesdale Mare
It's not a mare, nor is it a full Clydie but what a dude :)

www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=397183777

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 8 months ago #385379 by Puddleduck
Replied by Puddleduck on topic Clydesdale Mare
My experience is similar to others, our full Clydies at home when I was a kid were fabulously quiet and tolerant, one we acquired and promptly hopped on and rode, later we found out had never been ridden and only been broken to pull chains! :p

Now I have a ClydieX and she is a stubborn trollop at times, has taken some winning over, but a lovely mare, not for the beginner though, as quiet to handle as can be and mostly a good girl but sharp as a tack and will find any gap to get out of what she may not want to do. One clever cookie!

Just my experience. :)

More
12 years 8 months ago #385394 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic Clydesdale Mare
Ive got a clydie X trekking mare here, she is on loan but in 2.5yrs her owner has ridden her once

After my first few experiences with her I couldnt stand her she was one that would not back up from gates, nearly run you over, step on you, step into you, hve to be asked a few times to pick her feet up, nip you when doing girth up, try to nip when changing stirrup lengths from the ground, climb halfway into the tack room etc. Riding wise... turned around to got home, trotted down hill to catch up, ate everything in sight, would stand still & not move.
She was very used to beginners & plodding along doing what she wanted where she wanted(master of wandering off trail)
After a few weeks she respected my space, & doesnt trot down hill unless asked or is a bit fired up, gets a little moody sometimes as mares do but just towards the other horses, she still wanders off trail occassionally & sneaks trees & grass on banks but only when she thinks she can. The main prob apart from being let to do what she wanted was her saddle rubbing on her wither.
The one time her owner did ride her he rode her with a whip sticking up in the air & his chaps on with the zips on the inside & brought her a bag of carrots, havnt heard from him since but I dont mind as he said if she wasnt here he would have her put down as he only wanted her to live on a big farm

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds