Has anyone built a barn house?

More
12 years 8 months ago #28021 by highgirl
Recently I had a thread about the value of the property we are currently renting and the owners wanting to either sell or move back in...so it looks like we are on the move.

I was looking at the option of perhaps building a barn house...is this something anyone here has any experience with?

Ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated because the thought of not having anywhere to live is rather daunting [:0][;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #384205 by thevarneys
We wanted to build a heritaqge barn/american barn for our house but by the time you loose floor area for the stairs, it was better value for money to do a flat rectangle one. Keep in mind that the kitset prices they quote (total span etc) are not for dwelling specs, everything has to be a bit stronger for living standards so need to get a specific quote for that.
We found the good thing about buying a steelshed kitset is that you can arrange the layout however you want as the strength is in the structural frame/shell. You still need to get the layout of your rooms drawn up properly by a draughtsman though.
For us (as hubby was able to put up shell with friends and build interior himself) it was the next cheapest option to a relocatable.
Good things about relocatables is that you dont need a building consent cos its already built!

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 8 months ago #384214 by steve1983
We priced up one, its was 18m x 18m , to live in, about from memory 60k kitset, plus 30 to kit it for living.... Decided to go for a house instead

Steve Brown Rural Contracting LTD
Fencing Contractor in Canterbury
FCANZ Member

More
12 years 8 months ago #384215 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Has anyone built a barn house?
You will find that you do need a building consent for a relocated building. It becomes even more complicated if you are moving it from one council's area to another.

More
12 years 8 months ago #384217 by Suze13
I have been looking the customkit barn houses. We are planning to build one first while we wait for our house to be built. Has anyone build a customkit barn?

More
12 years 8 months ago #384240 by little red digger
Hi. I did some work on design for an american style barn fitted out as a house. The guy from totalspan built one in cust if you wanted to call the branch and ask for Paul he would tell you more. :)

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds