Bare lifestyle block setup costs?

More
12 years 10 months ago #383307 by Mickee
Might be an ideal time to look at an off grid system for power. Depending how 'handy' you are there are some quite cheap options, but on the flip side you can spend a heap!!!

I bought a bare block, no power to site, bought a kit set 168sq mtr Totalspan barn, put in underfloor pipe in side we inhabit, which will be for a few years until we can afford to build, then it will become the man cave. Put in a wood stove for cooking with wet back and can heat underfloor plus radiator if necessary, thus reducing electricity needs. In summer when fire not needed we have installed a solar hot water system, so again more free hot water :D

We collect water into a holding tank from the roof so that's the water supply sorted, grey water is used for the garden.

So you could look at solar, wind or hydro (if that's an option). This technology is getting better and cheaper and with the way power prices are going it's got to be good!

Not to mention when a disaster hits (as we are in Canterbury), you are not as dependant on others, apart from some broken stuff things didn't change too much for us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383309 by Suze13
Hi there. I found a fact sheet on the customkit webste to be very helpful in estimating costs of service. the link is www.customkit.co.nz/news/#6

More
12 years 10 months ago #383584 by shanehobson
For what it's worth we bought an empty 10 acre block and it cost about $140,000 in total to build a 180m2 steel shed, half of which is fully lined for living in. The $140k covered, water, driveway, power, septic, shed kitset & labour, all internal framing & lining, double glazed joinery.
Basically everything ready to move in. We started with about $57k budgeted for the shed, so what out for the extras. Location of your house can make a big difference, I think I worked out it was costing about $100 per metre, for every metre back from the road we built. $100 per metre covered power, phone and driveway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liv

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds