Abandoned cat!

More
12 years 9 months ago #381224 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Abandoned cat!
My hoz. rescue cats are doing great......catching baby rats.....two nights in a row Sylvester an older wilder guy....has been slow to come for food at night . Both times he turned up growling and didn't come to his feed spot. On investigation I saw a rat in his mouth. Big dilemma for him....do I drop the rat, and risk it running away while I eat my gravy beef , or keep the rat in my mouth and lose my beef dinner to my mate [?] . After watching him drop it and then grab it again when it moved, I brought his and his other shy mates food inside for later. Six rats in two days have made an appearance dead or alive :rolleyes:. Since they chewed the wiring in a car I have no pity for them, but do despatch them quickly if I can. ...This is Sylvester when he was a stray at the hospital. The Med Rec staff named him.....management wanted him and his bros gone. So his story sort of fits in with abandoned cats...... :) Maybe Purr will repay you too Pisa.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/374418=8004-sylvester 012.jpg[/img]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #381245 by color
Replied by color on topic Abandoned cat!

witheze;374418 wrote: My hoz. rescue cats are doing great......catching baby rats.....two nights in a row Sylvester an older wilder guy....has been slow to come for food at night . Both times he turned up growling and didn't come to his feed spot. On investigation I saw a rat in his mouth. Big dilemma for him....do I drop the rat, and risk it running away while I eat my gravy beef , or keep the rat in my mouth and lose my beef dinner to my mate [?] . After watching him drop it and then grab it again when it moved, I brought his and his other shy mates food inside for later. Six rats in two days have made an appearance dead or alive :rolleyes:. Since they chewed the wiring in a car I have no pity for them, but do despatch them quickly if I can. ...This is Sylvester when he was a stray at the hospital. The Med Rec staff named him.....management wanted him and his bros gone. So his story sort of fits in with abandoned cats...... :) Maybe Purr will repay you too Pisa.

:cool::cool: ;))

Poker online

More
12 years 9 months ago #382752 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Abandoned cat!
update:

she's happy making the workshop, part of the house really, her territory: had a go at the labrador and chased her out! her and our old cat have seen each other, hissed a bit, but then just walked the other way. :rolleyes:

And the last couple of days we showed her the cat flap, and pushed her outside through it, and she is now comfortable coming and going out that way. It's quite funny, when she comes in, head first slowly, to check if coast clear and then a measured paced dash into the workshop. But she's a confident cat, happy to get picked up and carried around, and LOVES cuddles. She drools!:rolleyes:

She eats like a horse. The vet recommended feeding her a few times a day, instead of once, which is a bit of a hassle, as it means I have to feed our old cat Elli differently as well, or Purdy will just scoff the lot.

And I'm beginning to wonder if she's preggers!!!![:0][:0]
The vet said she was too old, and he couldn't see any mammary development, but him misjudging her age, she's at least half the age of Elli, I wonder how closely he really examined her!

Apart from the waistline going barrel shaped, what else should I look for? I know gestation is around 63 days, and we've had her for almost 10 days, so I know how long to wait max.
I weighed her last week, to have some kind of starting point, and she was 3.5 kg!!!!![:0][:0][:0]

Comments welcome. :)

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
12 years 9 months ago #382757 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Abandoned cat!
Look for *pinking* of her nipples ...this happens around 21 days after mating ...they develope udders later on but nipples go pink early on .....Are you sure she isn't just getting podgy from her lovely life of luxury she now has[;)][^]
Hope she is not preggers for you ....it seems a tad early in the season too but then again she was out and about I suppose:p
Keep us posted :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
12 years 9 months ago #382762 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Abandoned cat!

witheze;374418 wrote: My hoz. rescue cats are doing great......catching baby rats.....two nights in a row Sylvester an older wilder guy....has been slow to come for food at night . Both times he turned up growling and didn't come to his feed spot. On investigation I saw a rat in his mouth. Big dilemma for him....do I drop the rat, and risk it running away while I eat my gravy beef , or keep the rat in my mouth and lose my beef dinner to my mate [?] . After watching him drop it and then grab it again when it moved, I brought his and his other shy mates food inside for later. Six rats in two days have made an appearance dead or alive :rolleyes:. Since they chewed the wiring in a car I have no pity for them, but do despatch them quickly if I can. ...This is Sylvester when he was a stray at the hospital. The Med Rec staff named him.....management wanted him and his bros gone. So his story sort of fits in with abandoned cats...... :) Maybe Purr will repay you too Pisa.

Coor - wish I had one of those. I am over run with rats at the moment and when I show the cats the places I know they frequent they just have a quick sniff and walk away. Must be feeding them too much[;)][B)].

Bought a box of rat traps a couple of weeks ago and have 8 traps set around the house, chook paddock and the shed. And found another tunnel near the "secret" duck nest today bleerk[xx(] Have caught a rat every other day in one trap since setting it there (where the chook feed and cat biscuits are kept) and one in the shed (hay and pig peas) though the dogs tell me there are plenty more down there[}:)] Had to drown 2 of then also :rolleyes: they sure do squeal on the way into the bucket[:0] :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 9 months ago #382773 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Abandoned cat!
Pisa you are one of the great familys good on you

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
12 years 9 months ago #382796 by witheze
Glad she has settled in....I made an ass of myself pronouncing a cat pregnant, it was a stray that a sick friend had befriended. I told her I could see the kittens moving inside her.....I had come to collect her as friend couldn't handle the litter changing. I took her(cat) to the vet on my way home, for checkup and we found A:. she was micro chipped.....and B. she was speyed![:I][:I] I have never lived that one down......Cat was reunited with owner next morning. Both parties had notified the SPCA! :( I never knew at the time friend (work colleague) was so sick.....she died of Hepatitis a couple of weeks later, so can't say all ended well... :( Anyway cheers for Purdie..[8D]

More
12 years 9 months ago #382821 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Abandoned cat!
Dont feel to bad witheze.....my mum had been feeding a stray for months and thought that she was preggers as well.

So she took her to the vet only for the vet to politely say that if this cat ever got preggers mum would be a very rich lady....She was a he ..LOL!

But to add insult to injury, few days later mum put a collar on "Smokey" with a tag and our number, just in case he got lost. That night we received a lovely phone call from a lady in the next road stating it was her cat which she has had for 8 years!

Luckily we all had a good laugh and Smokey continued to visit for many more years (although not being fed any more) until we got a call from the owner stating Smokey wasnt well and was going to have be put down and would we like to say our goodbyes to the cheeky old buggar. He certainly was a character that old cat..

Jan

More
12 years 8 months ago #384745 by pisa
and here some pics,

the kitchen the cats HAVE to share:

Purdie in her box under the stove

Feeding together peacefully:

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)

More
12 years 8 months ago #384755 by Leslie_NZ
Replied by Leslie_NZ on topic Abandoned cat!
They are both stunning! Purdy doesnt seem to look like an OLD girl, I would of put her at about 5 - 6, High praise for taking her in!

My parents didnt so much as adopt a stray/ dumped/ lost but were adopted by a cat a number of years ago, A very pretty looking long haired tortie persain cross who just wandered up the driveway (mum and dad then lived a distance from other people), mum being the animal loving softie that she is coaxed her in with some food. Dad said no not keeping it... and put her back outside.... this went on for a few months, the cat would stay for 3 weeks, and then leave on her own accord for up to 4 weeks, and then return, longest time away was 6 weeks (mum was getting worried by then). The stays away slowly got fewer and fewer and then finally she just stayed put, now she dislikes going outside at all, and it surprises us to see the little fluff butt actually making it to the garden to do her business. We still have no idea whose cat it was, but she never had kittens so could only assume she had been fixed... but with her dislike of ANY other animal within her space (we had 4 cats at the house then) I doubt any Tom cat would of been able to get close enough to do the deed anyway.

With suburbia slowly creeping closer and closer to my parents place the number of feral/ dumped cats has reduced greatly now to be replaced with house cats wandering aimlessly around eyeballing the chickens as a fun game instead.

More
12 years 8 months ago #384759 by pisa
cheers Leslie,

yup, she's definitely not a kitten anymore.
And her tummy is still big, even though she gets fed twice a day she still scoffs it down.
Still another 30 days to go.

Our cat, the tortie is now getting close to 17 years of age, and yes, I would have guessed Purdie to be more like 4-6 than older.

I tell you, if she is preggers, the vet is going to have to come to the party and either spay her for free or something!!!

More
12 years 8 months ago #384760 by witheze
really happy it all worked out.....when I saw the thread come up again I thought it might be bad news [:I] or kittens.!.. and nice to know she's an inside cat!

More
12 years 8 months ago #384762 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Abandoned cat!
Great news, thanks for sharing it and the lovely photos :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 8 months ago #384787 by Leslie_NZ
Replied by Leslie_NZ on topic Abandoned cat!

witheze;378337 wrote: really happy it all worked out.....when I saw the thread come up again I thought it might be bad news [:I] or kittens.!.. and nice to know she's an inside cat!

I was thinking the same thing about bad news [:I]

More
12 years 8 months ago #384818 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Abandoned cat!
Good on you pisa :D ...she looks so at home ...and your old lady does not seem to mind a feline friend to share her home with[^] ...a grand outcome all round and thanks so much for sharing :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds