Abandoned cat!

More
12 years 9 months ago #27704 by pisa
Abandoned cat! was created by pisa
Hi,
last night we finally caught a cat I had seen hanging around in the past months. I thought it was a true feral, but alas no, an old abandoned pet.

It makes me sooo angry!

S/he is sitting in the cage now, we've fed it and will bring it to the vet tomorrow. Whenever the kids come out and go near she starts talking, and even starts purring and rubbing up against the cage.
She seems to be blind on one eye, and as far as I can see her teeth seem to be all but gone. And as heartless as it sounds, we just can't afford to add an old animal to our menagerie. Not to mention the time I'd have to put in to socialize it, AND get our cat and dog to accept/tolerate it.

So, Monday morning OH will take it in to the vet, and then the SPCA will talk to him about it's condition etc.
I feel horrible, sending a loving animal to its potential death, but the only consolidation is that it will be a humane death and that no more babies will be born/spawned in the wild.

It just makes me sooo angry and sad.
:(

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380705 by little red digger
Replied by little red digger on topic Abandoned cat!
We get a lot of dumped cats here. People drive out from Christchurch and get as far as the end of South Eyre road and just let them go. Our old cat (now saddly departed) was dumped as a three year old. We did not have a cat at the time so we addopted it. She was one of the best cats we ever had.
Our latest cat will not tolerate other cats and is constantly fighting with the ferals and dumped cats. It is a shame but if I catch a cat now, I would have to take it to the vet. Hard to do but in our case the only way.

Dave and Ruth, Oxford Contracting

More
12 years 9 months ago #380711 by Rustie
Replied by Rustie on topic Abandoned cat!
That's so sad :( Unfortunately the same can be said for those that don't look after their cats, don't get them neutered and abandon kittens or don't want them after they get them.

Many of my family and friends thought i was bonkers to pay over 1,000 pounds to bring my 11 year old cat over from the UK, and that was without the 800 pounds for the cruciate knee operation just prior to him having to fly and then bugger does the knee about 6 weeks after landing! :rolleyes:

I pay a fortune (probably best not to think about it!) on arthritis injections, special food (that he won't eat!), vaccinations, but he gives me back so much, he's like the son i never had (without all the hassle! :D ).

He turns 17 next month and i've warned him he's got to stay around alot longer so's i get my monies worth! [8D]

It's a shame that some don't see the benefits that comes with these animals, but there are lots that do.

A good friend will bale you out of jail.
A real friend will be sat in there with you!

More
12 years 9 months ago #380722 by mikethebike
Replied by mikethebike on topic Abandoned cat!
Whilst i know from personal experience that people do abandon cats occasionally, how do you know it didn't just wander off from somewhere and get its self lost? if it is blind in one eye and has no teeth it is obviously very old, it could well be that some old lady is fretting about losing a beloved pet, one of my old cats Bob, (RIP) who sadly managed to get himself run over despite us living in the middle of nowhere, would regularly wander off sometimes for a week at a time, one time he came home complete with a new collar after being missing for two weeks, someone had obviously taken him in and tried to adopt him but cats pick their owners not the other way around so, before dispatching this poor old puss at least advertise or phone around spca vets etc, someone could well be missing him!

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380738 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Abandoned cat!
I feel for you Pisa but there are worse things than death. It would be wonderful if someone could take the poor old puss in though :(

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 9 months ago #380739 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic Abandoned cat!
We regularly have cats dumped here. Our latest kitten was semi friendly and about 10 weeks old, too far to have walked from anywhere. A few days later I discover another an adult that I could pick up (think its his mother), she now lives in the barns/sheds around the farm and is doing a wonderful job to the rabbit and rodent population. Years ago we had a cat that turned up here, called everyone within cat travelling distance not too hard as we are quite rural with not too many homes around. He could come in the cat flap[:(!] even wee'd on the bench once. After hanging around for months he disappeared. I cannot see the logic behind people dumping animals, maybe in their twisted minds they see it as a favour to the animal (farm home with sheds/barns) but it only puts the responsibility onto some other poor bugger ie with adoption or disposle in the mean time adding to the population. This goes not only for cats but other animals such as roosters, I gave mine away for eating (turns out they have kept them for breeding with some cobs?? which I am rather happy about as they were magnificent Langshans) rather than dump them at the local layby where they will be chased by dogs, have no shelter and food other than what they can find.

People don't think beyond the cute little baby animal and all the costs it will incure. Such as our pup was registered last week cost $60 in town in our council it is $130 I feel so lucky and being a working dog is excempt from micro chipping but will get her done as I think it is a good idea. I hate to think how much money she has cost but would not be without her now.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380768 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Abandoned cat!
pisa - I totally feel for you having also experienced many years of cat dumping, as others have but niggle is that Mike is making a point here. It seems odd that someone who had a cat for that many years would dump it. It makes no sense.

Do not take this as critisisim as I totally understand and care about what you are experiencing but is there any possibility that you could go to Lost Cat sites on the Web (help Pumpkingirl) and or ring around your local Vets before putting the old one down tomorrow.

Whatever you decide is right - just know that - but if you have the opportunity to do the latter, would it matter if you kept the cat for another 2 -3 days while investigating the possibilities? Hugs.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380770 by pisa
Replied by pisa on topic Abandoned cat!
@mikethebike We are on a gravel road, 35k's from the nearest town, and I know the neighbours and their cats. It's not one of them.
And that's why she's going to the vet. If she's local he might have seen her and know if she belongs to someone. And if she doesn't, she'll go to the SPCA and they will see what they can do.

I certainly won't be dispatching it.
:(

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)

More
12 years 9 months ago #380772 by pisa
@DiDi Don't worry, I'm a cat lover at heart, and if I could see any way we could keep her I would, but I have started calling others, and if she's a missing pet hopefully the owner will be found.

The lady at the SPCA was adamant it wouldn't get put down, but I suppose that depends a bit on her condition. Another reason to have her seen by the vet tomorrow.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380800 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Abandoned cat!
Go, Rustie (this is a positive post)!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
12 years 9 months ago #380807 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Abandoned cat!
wish I could help.... :( hope there is a happy ending and not death.
I have been cooking a pot of porridge each morning and adding a large tin of Chef and mixing together for my tribe, warm and filling. And even the fussy ones are happy to eat it. There is still 3 strays left at the hospital and last night I gave them weatbix and milk along with their sachets. It was left for a while but has gone tonight..... :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #380830 by pisa
Well,
after ringing pretty much everyone in a 15km radius, no one's missing a cat or has heard of a missing cat.

So, s/he's now on its way to get checked out and then on to the SPCA.

I hope they find a good home, because it is sooo affectionate.

I hate being sensible and responsible, but that's how I was brought up to be.
Doing the right thing doesn't always feel right. :(

More
12 years 9 months ago #380853 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Abandoned cat!
Pisa - well done to you and hubby for caring about this old cat and doing what you can for her. I think you are great! :D :D

More
12 years 9 months ago #380870 by missab
Replied by missab on topic Abandoned cat!
pisa i hope it finds a nice loving home for the rest of its days, there could be alot of reasons its in the condition it is, it could have scratched the eye in the bushes and without any medical attention gone blind, it could have acidic saliva causing the teeth to rot and fall out at a young age (ive seen this in a 2year old), could have underlying medical conditions that havent been picked up yet due to no owners anymore etc, you have done best by this cat no matter the outcome. and as a vet nurse... the put to sleep part is one of the most gentle things to do to an abandoned cat, it is release from hardship, pain and suffering and knowing that knowone can harm it anylonger, it is safe, finally. i hope it all works out well :)

3 equines (brendon,bellissimo and mariah), 6 wiltshire ewes + 4 ram lambs, 1 mini goat (pinky),1 berkshire sow (penelope), 20 odd chickens,6 sebastopol goslings, 3 flemish giant rabbits(bones,bounce,moon), longhaired guinea pig(splish)1 mastif (auto), 2 chihuahuas (mia,seeka),1 maincoon cat...

More
12 years 9 months ago #380892 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Abandoned cat!
Over the last couple of months We have trapped seven feral cats and had them put to sleep.And there is another five hanging around!
We are only 1km from LRD.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds