Young rats wanted Otago

More
12 years 9 months ago #27694 by Telly
Hi

I want a pair - either two boys or two girls - of young rats for pets - from Otago. Does anyone breed rats or know where I could get some?

Cheers

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380634 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Young rats wanted Otago
Waffles! she has oodles of the rodents...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 9 months ago #380642 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Young rats wanted Otago
Male rats smell - even though some people will tell you otherwise. We had 2 males in our living room (in a cage!) and as soon as they reached sexual maturity the whole house stank. Their cage was cleaned out at least every 2nd day. Needless to say that we don't have them anymore (rehomed).

So depending on where you want to keep them choose wisely.

Females are a lot smaller than males when fully grown and they are real busy bodies we've been told. However, young males are busy bodies, too. They are cool fun to have, though.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380671 by Trace
Replied by Trace on topic Young rats wanted Otago
You could try rat rescue, not sure if they have any members down your way - they are easily contacted through the Pets and Animals page, in the Community part of TM.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380672 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Young rats wanted Otago
Telly - one of my daughters had rats over a number of years BUT only one at a time and each one was male. I don't agree with Simkin about the smell but maybe she is relating to more than one at a time.

Question being - why do you want two of the same sex? One on its own is such a sociable little creature and I even have a photograph of my posh Mum taken in her late 80's with a rat on her shoulder!

Be aware though that without watching them, they are hell on your furniture (especially the cushions on the back of your sofa) as they love to get in behind them and then you find that they have been chewing!

Other side of that is that having had rats as part of my life and knowing just how amazing and intelligent and dare I say it, affectionate they can be, it is damn hard to then put out the killer bait for the wild ones. But you do as long as your one is safe. Go figure! Laugh

More
12 years 9 months ago #380734 by Telly
Replied by Telly on topic Young rats wanted Otago
Hi

I have had rats before and know how destructive they can be. I still remember my mother's anger at a chewed television cord! I prefer animals to have some of their own kind for company and since I don't want oodles of little rats, they need to be the same. I always had male rats and don't remember the smell particularly - though I do remember the stink of male mice.

I will try the TM suggestion, thanks.

Goats: 4 boers + 4 kids (all does[:D]), 1 saanen + 2 kids, 1 toggenburg.
Chickens: Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Araucana, pekins
Pigs now in the freezer

More
12 years 9 months ago #380777 by Waffling Milk Maid
check out ratclub.org as well, as there's a few litters on the forum there at the moment, mostly up north but they are easily shipped down here. I don't breed anymore, nor have any for adoption at all so can't help directly (my crew are all getting ancient now!) Also check out the NZ rat rescue as already suggest, though again mostly they're up north, but bringing them down on the pet bus is easy and cheap enough. :)

I disagree about males smelling though... A dirty cage smells for sure (males or females, regardless!) but they certainly don't stink like male MICE do! They do have an odour though (BOTH males and females!!) just like dogs smell like dogs, rats will smell like rats. Many put a dab of vanilla essence on the ratties when giving their cage a clean though too! hehe. Also the litter you use in their cage makes a difference, as well as the style of cage and how often you clean, if they're litter trained, their bedding etc....

At my peak I had 13 male rats in one cage (all 'entire' until I had to neuter one. Oh, and 8 girls in a cage beside them) and they certainly didn't stink the house out at all (though like I said, they did have *a* smell around their cages, it wasn't offensive at all and only started getting a bit more pungent on cleaning day. lol!)

Also note that they can be desexed (a bit pointless in boys unless they have hormonal aggression issues [unfortunately common in NZ boys] but worthwhile doing in young girls who are very prone to tumors in old age if left entire) which some say helps with their smell...

And yes, they MUST be kept in pairs or groups. A lone rat is, well, lonely!!! They're incredibly social lil critters, and while you may spend every waking moment with a single rat (pfft! Sorry, but no one can ACTUALLY do that, for one thing they can't come shopping with ya... lol!) they'll still be alone at night (and as fairly nocturnal animals, they DO need company at night as well!) and any time they're not with you, well, they're alone. Not very fair on such a social animal (bit like having a single alpaca. Not the done thing.) so definitely get two or more. They are still VERY social even in pairs (or groups of 13... lol!) so there's no worry of them not bonding to you; my current 6 all shove each other out of the way if I'm near the cage so *they* can be the one closer to the door/me. but in pairs or groups they will have social interaction together when you're not able to be their buddy too, they snuggle and wrestle and groom each other endlessly. :)

Anyway, sorry for the book. I could talk about them alllll day long... lol! Check out ratclub and NZRR anyway, and they'll be able to help. I'm not sure what the pet shops are like in down at the moment, but direct from a breeder is preferable anyway if possible! Good luck!!!

Owned by a standard poodle, a couple of burmese cats, a miniature horse, & a budgie.
Also proud mum to Caleb and Piper

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds