Poultry Feed recall

More
12 years 9 months ago #380897 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic Poultry Feed recall
Sheesh. I'm glad we eat our own eggs and that I feed Reliance feeds. Oh crikey I think MIL feeds NRM, I better warn her :eek:
Ohh, and she recently lost one of her shaver hens, it was only 2yrs old. Not that one could establish any cause & effect from that of course, but it does make one wonder...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380899 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Poultry Feed recall
Yes Steph there are rules re onselling of eggs.
Main points are that if you have less than 100 birds you may sell the eggs to friends/individuals for their own consumption, but not to a place like a shop that would be onsellng to the public.

If you want to produce eggs for sale and/or have over 100 hens you must have a RMP (Risk Management Plan) check it out here www.eggfarmers.org.nz/Starting-a-Commercial-Layer-Farm.asp
www.foodsafety.govt.nz/industry/sectors/poultry-eggs/

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380903 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Poultry Feed recall
Here's the recall notice on the MAF/Food Safety Authority website:
www.foodsmart.govt.nz/elibrary/consumer/...rm-poultry-feeds.htm

This one does state that you shouldn't eat the eggs or meat and gives a with-holding period of 14 says for eggs and 7 days for meat. I wonder why that information isn't included on the NRM website or in any of their notices?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
12 years 9 months ago #380912 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Poultry Feed recall
Considering how badly my pens stank last spring I lean towards option 2.[/quote]

[:0] holy hell.. that is weird you say that.. my chookie house PONGS..more than it did when i had 40 birds.. ( now only have 12 ).. i am cleaning very nasty pongs out weekly..i just put it down to the breed/size bird.. as i normaly have the hyline/shaver variety..and now have GLW and BPR
gosh i am livid

thanks Sue for you answer on selling eggs.. i thought about it after i was asked.. and naahh.. no way for public consumption..

thanks

More
12 years 9 months ago #380914 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Poultry Feed recall

stephclark;374081 wrote: [:0] holy hell.. that is weird you say that.. my chookie house PONGS..more than it did when i had 40 birds..

NRM feed is notorious for the pong factor, my brooder litter needs changing daily otherwise the gag reflux kicks in. In saying that I stand by the starter and grower feeds, its just the layer pellets I won't use as I get bugger all eggs.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 9 months ago #380917 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Poultry Feed recall

Cinsara;374083 wrote: NRM feed is notorious for the pong factor, my brooder litter needs changing daily otherwise the gag reflux kicks in. In saying that I stand by the starter and grower feeds, its just the layer pellets I won't use as I get bugger all eggs.

There is no possibility of establishing a 'sweet smelling deep litter system' when chooks are fed NRM feed.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380922 by Animal Crazy
Replied by Animal Crazy on topic Poultry Feed recall
Gosh i too am furious, I had no idea this has been going on for so long, I thought this was something they discovered last week!!!. One of the reasons for having our own chooks is to eat better quality eggs with no 'additional' things added.....

People have mentioned allot of differnt products, can you get these in Auckland?

More
12 years 9 months ago #380923 by Animal Crazy
Replied by Animal Crazy on topic Poultry Feed recall
I have just called Falloons and the food you guys are mentioning is for South Island. What would you guys recommend for North Island, they stock(excuse spelling): Ringrose (Superlay), Fiscon's (Golden Yolk), Ingams (Prolay), Chook Chow

More
12 years 9 months ago #380924 by Simkin
Anything but Peck'N Lay

More
12 years 9 months ago #380925 by Simkin

Animal Crazy;374091 wrote: Gosh i too am furious, I had no idea this has been going on for so long, I thought this was something they discovered last week!!!. One of the reasons for having our own chooks is to eat better quality eggs with no 'additional' things added.....

That's why we have our own chooks, too. But I haven't bought NRM products since I noticed something was wrong. Btw - last season my Orpington pullets were not yet laying in August (as posted in the 'this is not fair' thread. This season they started a month ago or so. Same breed, same mother.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380985 by Panda
Replied by Panda on topic Poultry Feed recall
I took back 1/3rd of a bag of Peck'n'Lay today, to Farmlands in Tauranga, and they happily gave me a full refund. I bought ProLay (Ingham) instead. My chooks seem to like it so I'll stick with it.

We've been eating the eggs for the past 2 months while the chooks have been on the 'infected' pellets and haven't dropped dead yet, so will probably carrying on eating them. Live life on the edge! :p

Murphy the dog. 4 chooks: Mocha, Otis, Betty and Suzi.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380988 by Leslie_NZ
Replied by Leslie_NZ on topic Poultry Feed recall

Animal Crazy;374092 wrote: I have just called Falloons and the food you guys are mentioning is for South Island. What would you guys recommend for North Island, they stock(excuse spelling): Ringrose (Superlay), Fiscon's (Golden Yolk), Ingams (Prolay), Chook Chow

We use Ringrose with our 5 girls, we buy it straight from the mill, They seem to love it, never tried any of the other ones, so mine is a slightly skewed opinion, but the pellets and grain are always consistant, and locals recommend it.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380989 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Poultry Feed recall
We have noticed similar issues with the NRM too - the chicks were fed the starter crumbles, and they STANK too. First time I had raised chicks so though it must be normal. Now they are on the grower and HATE it - I mix it with mash jus tto get them to eat the pellets. The ducks eat it though no problem. Will be taking our bag back to RD1 to get a refund. Might go back to budget from New World....
And thanks Sue and Simpkin for your info and research

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
12 years 9 months ago #381011 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Poultry Feed recall

thevarneys;374162 wrote: ...... The ducks eat it though no problem......

Our Khaki Campbells are the same. Feathered vacuum cleaners :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds