Still looking for a billy goat, entire!

More
12 years 11 months ago #381416 by Jo-Otago
OH I get it, sorry Iniuk [:I] I was too busy laughing at the funny bits to read properly! And your Loretta sounds just about as weird as my Ruby goat! A modern girl you reckon... hrrm well it will be interesting to see if anything eventuates this spring/summer from her or not in any case. Is Loretta meant to be in kid?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #381437 by Iniuk
Nope, not in kid. I am hoping to milk both of them through.
Loretta was a fairly casual mother and hardly seemed to notice when her son went to live with beedee and his Dad, maybe her mothering hormones are kicking in now!
I have heard of goats having phantom pregnancies and 'cloudbursts' but not phantom kids which only appear at intervals!
Goats are worth the trouble just in entertainment value, and figuring them out MUST be good to stave off Altzheimers surely?

More
12 years 11 months ago #381681 by pisa
Carry-ons:
he's interested in the smaller one, she went bonkers when back in the paddock from all day grazing, tail up and playing around Riley. But NOT standing still. So, I hold her and he tries to do his bit. Properly. But only once throws his head back, which I read was a sign he'd done the deed. She still not standing still, with tail high up in the air and playful rubbing up against him. Maiden behaviour, or playing the "I'm VERY hard to get" game?
I REALLY don't want to be part of the whole procedure, any ideas on her behaviour.
Now the other girl, the bigger one, has been showing signs of coming into heat, but he is NOT interested. He'll give her a sniff and a snort and walk away! Does he know something I don't??!!
At this rate I don't think I'll get a chance of dying of Alzheimer, either I'll die of a heart attack chasing them across the paddock or accidentally end up in the wrong place at the wrong time! :p :p :p :p :p :p

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
12 years 11 months ago #381686 by Iniuk

or accidentally end up in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Oh no!!!!![:0]

More
12 years 11 months ago #381735 by Andrea1
Maidens can be really hard to deal with sometimes, and what you described sounds just like it! I'm surprised, though, since they are running with the buck, that they aren't more accepting of his advances. Also, it could be that she just doesn't like him, which we've had happen before, and the doe ends up not letting herself be bred.

If he is an experienced buck, he will know when the does are in season. Maidens aren't always as 'regular' as older does who've been bred before, so I would give them some more time together.

More
12 years 11 months ago #381750 by pisa
Oh boy that just seems to be the case:
this morning he was Definitely interested in her, and in the end she jumped the electric fence!!! He seems to have done something, he kind of collapsed twice, wobbly legs!!! :p

After she jumped I tethered them up away from each other to give them a break and will let them together again this afternoon.

The other one just stood hiding behind the shelter and kept looking quite alarmed at all that carry-on.

Should I restrain the girl which is in heat, or will that traumatize her too much? As you can imagine I'm not much a fan of assisted rape, but if needs be..... .:confused:

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)

More
12 years 11 months ago #381764 by Andrea1
Yeah, if she's in heat and refusing the buck, AND a maiden, you just may need to restrain her. There's always one amongst my girls each year, but the next year they have been fine. I hate doing it, but I also really need to get them in kid!

More
12 years 11 months ago #381765 by tomahawkstud
Why not AI? Then you don't need to have a buck.

More
12 years 11 months ago #381766 by pisa
A bit expensive as far as I can see, I found one company on the internet, and they basically charge ~$100 per female!

For not registered, not pure bred dairy goats, that I just want to milk I find that a bit steep at the moment.

I'm still waiting for the second girl to come into heat, hopefully she'll behave better. Even though she's bigger than this one. :(

More
12 years 11 months ago #381803 by Iniuk
This link
www.rarebreeds.co.nz/arapawa-ai.html
shows a goat prepared for AI.

I thought it might cheer you up as you won't have to go that far. :D

More
12 years 11 months ago #381819 by pisa
:D :D :D :D
:p :p :p :p

I thought a turkey baster would be able to do the job here! :p

More
12 years 11 months ago #381858 by Jo-Otago
:eek: I'm glad we don't have to do the cows like that! :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds