Still looking for a billy goat, entire!

More
12 years 11 months ago #380436 by igor
Can't see why so many people make such a big deal about the smell of billy goats. They just smell like normal, healthy billy goats. It's a strong smell for sure but not necessarily unpleasant. Just ask any nanny goat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380446 by imeldasmum

Xartep;373544 wrote: What a shame Riley is already out on loan - he might have career ahead of him as a stud :p

Absolutely! If Riley gets back in say 3 weeks or so, we would love to make use of his "services". We would be quite happy to pay for them too, if it will be an end to the frantic bleating. She was even chewing on one of the sheeps ears!

Two kids, two cats, five goats, eleven sheep, four calves and lots of chickens.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380458 by Stu_R
:) am sure Riley would have no probs with that as a career choice Xartep :)
LOL Mollie goat was even seen waving her girly bits in Petie pigs face a while back lol and she couldnt understand wh Petie pig didnt know what she was on about lol

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #380554 by pisa
@ imeldasmum Unfortunately my girls seem to have gone off the heat by our visitor. Not sure how long he'll have to stay. I'm hoping, judging by his behaviour [;)] , that they have not gone completely off.
And Riley is behaving like the perfect gentleman!

Anyway,
I got a reply from the NZDGBA.

A lady, Elizabeth replied with this:
I have two Saanen bucks but I require a cert from you that your does are CAE free. Getting them tested's a doodle the vet just takes a little blood & thats it. Doesn't cost that much. I also ask $50 for the service. They are both pedigrees. Alternatively theres a woman who has toggs which may suit you better. Not sure what she charges or if she insists on a cert but I'll give you her phone number.....

And a buck for sale in Waikanae for $60.

I'm sure it'll be alright to pass this info on, if you want to get hold of Elizabeth or the Toggenburg lady pm me and I'll pass the details on.

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

More
12 years 11 months ago #380609 by trishb
Hi all. We went through the goat experience. Bought 2 feral girls, tamed them quite well, later got a big white billy. Yes they are very smelly and have some quite (to humans) unpleasant habits. Alas he never managed to mate with the girls - he actually preferred the neighbours sheep and we saw him doing the deed with them a few times!
I loved the girls but the billy got quite stroppy and had massive horns. The girls also had their horns and I suffered quite a few injuries from these although they were just playing at the time. In the end we sold them all due to them killing off various trees by eating the bark, and we couldn't keep them inside ANY fences! Tethering them wasn't an option for us.
Then we heard they had escaped from the people we sold them to!
So all an experience.......

More
12 years 11 months ago #380658 by pisa
Well,
I'm in the weirdest position now: waiting, for not sure what?! :rolleyes:
The girls are showing such different behaviours since Riley's turned up: the smaller stroppy one is becoming quite attached and cuddly, stopped head butting! And sleeps in the box with him. The bigger one, more sedate has started packing strops!! [:0] She sleeps in the middle of the paddock, even though a covered barn is available. And today I thought I'd leave them all day together in the paddock so they'd have all day to get used to each other.
Well that went down like a lead balloon with the bigger one. In the end she somehow managed to get out and Riley had followed!!!

Even though he behaves as if she is or coming into heat, she is NOT interested! I'm getting the dirtiest looks from her and she's complaining ALL day.

And hubby is definitely NOT interested in getting a buck for good. :p He reckons he can smell him from the house! And he's not interested in the details of goat mating behaviour!!!!!! :p :p :p :p :p :p

So, now I'm sitting here, checking their bums several times daily if they change appearance [;)] and not really sure what to do.

Patience is not my greatest virtue, and the first time I expected bunny babies 30 days seemed incredibly long, but that seems to fly by now in comparison.

Never a dull day I suppose.
OH is worried about the state of my nerves if/when we actually will expect kids!!! I better make that barn VERY comfy, I can imagine myself spending the night there for the first lots.[:I]

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)

More
12 years 11 months ago #380662 by Iniuk
If/when they are in heat I reckon you will know... did you jot down the dates they looked like they were in heat earlier? Usually 3 weeks I believe. Kath's first date with Tahir went down like a lead balloon, she was more interested in establishing her dominance over every other goat in sight, mated briefly and insisted we went home. The next morning she was raring to go, hopped into the back of the car- 'Yoohoo, Tahir! It's me! Kath! Here I come!' We were there about half an hour, several matings and I think Tahir was pleased to see her go. A week later she insisted on coming with Loretta. She claimed she had never seen Tahir before let alone had sex with him in public.[:I] 5 months later- Dapple.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380674 by cloverleaf
My 4 girls are yelling there heads off as well. I too am looking for a billy to borrow. I would prefer a Toggenburg or toggi cross but to shut them up i'm almost at the point where i would consider anything. All is quiet until they see me then its like mum 'i'm ready and need a man" :D

I need to seperate one of the does as after her one and only kidding she keeps getting udder problems. She will be so dissapointed.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380698 by imeldasmum

pisa;373682 wrote: @ imeldasmum Unfortunately my girls seem to have gone off the heat by our visitor. Not sure how long he'll have to stay. I'm hoping, judging by his behaviour [;)] , that they have not gone completely off.
And Riley is behaving like the perfect gentleman!

Anyway,
I got a reply from the NZDGBA.

A lady, Elizabeth replied with this:
I have two Saanen bucks but I require a cert from you that your does are CAE free. Getting them tested's a doodle the vet just takes a little blood & thats it. Doesn't cost that much. I also ask $50 for the service. They are both pedigrees. Alternatively theres a woman who has toggs which may suit you better. Not sure what she charges or if she insists on a cert but I'll give you her phone number.....

And a buck for sale in Waikanae for $60.

I'm sure it'll be alright to pass this info on, if you want to get hold of Elizabeth or the Toggenburg lady pm me and I'll pass the details on.

That sounds perfect for us. Do you know where she lives?

Two kids, two cats, five goats, eleven sheep, four calves and lots of chickens.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380894 by pisa
Ok, as I'm waiting, I'm observing. And noticed something I can't find out about on the net:
when Riley sprays his front legs a kind of squiggly worm, about 5 cm long, (judging from afar) wriggles out of the front of his penis. And that's where the fluid seems to be coming out from.
What's that all about and does anyone know the proper terms for it? [:I]

More
12 years 11 months ago #380895 by kate
The goat penis has a sigmoid flexure which allows it to lengthen during mating. The urethra extends 2-3cm beyond the end of the penis. Aren't you glad you asked? [:I][:I]

Bucks urinate on their own bellies and chests to make themselves more attractive [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
12 years 11 months ago #380901 by pisa
Thanks Kate.
I am! :D :D

And googling the term I found no picture of "in situ", only autopsy style photographs or diagrams.
I wonder if I should have my camera and photograph it next time? Or would that be invading his privacy too much?? [;)]

More
12 years 11 months ago #381276 by JenM
My toggenburg is also calling out for a mate at the moment (& harrassing her paddock friends). Last year we paid $60 to borrow a proven billy for her but we never got any babies.. even though she was with him for at least 2 cycles. She came into milk without giving birth anyway.. bless her. Hope she does again.

However, if there was anyone near Wakefield, Nelson who has a lovely milk variety billy who would like a one day stand.. Lulu would thank you. We cant have a boy here as we also have an old girl who couldnt cope with birth again.

~*~ Gotland Sheep, Milking Goats, Donkey, Miniature Horse, way too many Chooks & substantial home orchard ~*~

More
12 years 11 months ago #381368 by Jo-Otago
Iniuk that was just hiliarious reading :p
Do you think Kath was still in season for a whole week, or just keen for another bit regardless? I've got a rising 2yr doeling that seems to be in season approx every 10 days which is just weird. They are running with a buck and she is standing for mating approx every 10-12 days. Last year she ran with a buck too for a few months and never got pregnant (though at least last year she seem to be cycling at the normal 18-21 day intervals!). Last year I just put it down to being later in the season and perhaps her not being mature enough (though she was wellgrown) but not too sure what games she is playing this year. She also got really keen on mating one of the other does when she came on heat - even making that bucky-mating bleat that the bucks do, and pawing. She's a weirdo!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 11 months ago #381408 by Iniuk
It was the NEXT day Kath was so keen- a week later she didn't recognise him (him who?) and wanted nothing to do with him.
Some experienced clever person will know about your doeling, I think she's ajust a modern girl [;)]
My current weirdo is Loretta, my Tog/sable cross. :confused:Roughly every 3 weeks we have several days during which she talks to me in little squeaky grunts as if I was a day-old kid, peering anxiously into my face, reluctant to leave the goat paddock for the daily walk and keen to race back as soon as she can.
Then 1 or 2 days in which she refuses her normal food but will eat something else (apparently selected at random) with gusto. Last time it was wheat!!! this time acorns. Then she starts eating again and things go back to normal.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds