Still looking for a billy goat, entire!

More
13 years 10 hours ago #27652 by pisa
Hi all,

my alpine girls are still looking for a date in the South Wairarapa.

We're getting a bit desperate, not sure how many more cycles they'll have.
Unfortunately he would have to be a good size, they are big girls, the hips are at 80cms height. [;)]

I'd really appreciate it if anyone who has a boy in the right size, or knows of one to let me know. I really want to be able to milk in spring. :D

TIA

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)
But who's counting [;)]...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 hours ago #380049 by Andrea1
You'd be surprised how agile a young (and small!) buck can be. We've had a 4-month old buckling serve adult does with no trouble at all. You can also tie the doe and get a box or crate or pallet for him to stand on if need be. Seen it in action, and it does work! Now, as to finding you a buck... have you tried contacting the NZDGBA to see who they have in the area who might have a suitable mate? Keep in mind that many of them are now on the CAE-free certification programme, so will probably want to see proof that your girls are as well.

More
13 years 9 hours ago #380050 by pisa
cheers Andrea,

I was told that size doesn't matter [;)] but I've seen the girls headbutting eelcat's buck and even though all seemed keen, after a while he got sick of the head butting and would run back to his girls. [;)] They are quite stroppy feisty girls.:p

Not sure how my girls would go about being tied up?! I haven't got a race or anything to keep them and the buck safely contained.

I haven't contacted the association yet, as my girls haven't been tested and I'm aware of it being an issue.

At the moment my OH reckons we've got very expensive curry running in our garden. :p :p :p :p :p
I told him if he wants to have curry he'd have to go and get it. Those girls are safe for a while yet, he won't even go near the chickens, rabbits or even a live mouse!!!!:rolleyes:

1 hubby, 2 kids, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 swallows and I've lost count how many offsprings with even more grandkids, 5 bunny girls, 5 bunny boys, 12 chickens (rooster, pullets, chicks and more about to hatch hopefully) and 4 goats with two of them expecting any day! (24.10.14)

More
13 years 6 hours ago #380064 by Dream Weaver
LOVE Alpines, wouldnt be too many around the country now would there?

More
13 years 4 hours ago #380070 by Cinsara
Is there a stud somewhere you could buy straws from? Do they do that for goats?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
13 years 4 hours ago #380073 by eelcat
It was very funny to watch Basil and Poppy and Tui playing games. He even had a bank to stand on, but they still couldn't work it out! :D

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 11 months ago #380078 by Xartep
My Riley is a Nubian Saanen cross but you would be welcome to borrow him, I think he has made himself usefull with his 3 does and is now busy trying to get the attention of the wether[:I][^]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 11 months ago #380100 by pisa
Oh Xartep,

that's a lovely offer. Have pm'd you. :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #380101 by pisa

smilie;373149 wrote: LOVE Alpines, wouldnt be too many around the country now would there?

Unfortunately not,
have contacted the dairy association, but haven't heard back from them.
The nearest breeder, where we got our girls from, is in Waipukarau.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380116 by Xartep
I was going to say I'd toss him in the back of the truck and bring him down to the cross country on Wednesday, but my car is booked in for a service that am and I am not sure they would be keen on having a billy goat in the back whilst they do that :p

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 11 months ago #380117 by foufee
eewww, billy in the car - our boy stinks far too much, way worse than the chickens :P to even bear thinking of. He would not be much use it seems anyway - he is either infertile or cannot reach our girls (he is only 9 months old), he keeps trying each time they come on but every 3 weeks the girls are lining up for another round. hmm maybe they are just hussies.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380120 by pisa

foufee;373208 wrote: eewww, billy in the car - our boy stinks far too much, way worse than the chickens :P to even bear thinking of. He would not be much use it seems anyway - he is either infertile or cannot reach our girls (he is only 9 months old), he keeps trying each time they come on but every 3 weeks the girls are lining up for another round. hmm maybe they are just hussies.

Oh dear that gave me a good giggle!!!

More
12 years 11 months ago #380144 by DiDi
Yakut has an entire pure bred Alpine Billy for sale I believe but he is in South Auckland so maybe not a viable proposition, but maybe. Perhaps PM her but definitely not a loan. He's gorgeous (and extremely smelly!) so only if you can consider buying.

More
12 years 11 months ago #380147 by Stu_R
:) times like this Didi its a good job my accidents have left me with no sense of smell lol :)
The builder and Brian the grove owner all said Cocoa stunk like a Billy goat ( well geeez he was a billy goat :) ) an i never smelt a thing .. maybe thats why he liked me so much as i didnt care and he didnt care :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
12 years 11 months ago #380148 by pisa
Big LOL's guys and gals,

you sure are NOT making owning a Billy sound good. :p :p :p :p

As I've got limited grazing available, I'd rather just borrow one for now, but ultimately I have to see where I want to go with these girls. They are App.B I understand, but not registered with the Association, so wanting to go into breeding would be a costly undertaking, registering and testing them, etc.
So, unless I know how they milk I'm not even considering going down that path.
[8D]

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds