three geese free

More
12 years 10 months ago #27641 by kai
three geese free was created by kai
anyone on the banks peninsula want 3 geese. they are a sebastapol cross. About a year old. 1 male 2 female
fed up cos I cant keep them off the deck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379933 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic three geese free
awww ..shame you arent closer!! I am after a goose for my very lonely goose who desperately wants a friend as she is getting sick of the chickens!

Jan

More
12 years 10 months ago #379960 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic three geese free
We're also after a goose and gander....anyone have some spares?

More
12 years 10 months ago #379983 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic three geese free
If they are cross breds, its better to eat them Kai.

Jan and Foufee, what breeds of goose are you looking for? I can look on my list and see who breeds the breed you want and email a list to you. There is a list of breeders on the Rare Breeds website, under 'Directory'.

We only have Pilgrim geese, but there are a number of breeds in NZ.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379988 by kai
Replied by kai on topic three geese free
we would eat them, but do not know how to kill them quickly. Chickens are easy, but the size of the neck on this lot would be rather difficult to wring.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379993 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic three geese free
We just do the knock on the head and then chop off the head method. If you hold the wings together in one hand and the feet together in the other hand, you can swing the head hard against a post a few times, which knocks them out and your other half can chop the head off at that point. With a really sharp axe, you can go straight to chopping the head off.

We then hang the bird by its feet for 5-10 minutes until the blood has drained out and its them ready to pluck.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379997 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic three geese free
Broomstick method - get a strong guy to pull while you stand on the broom stick.

More
12 years 10 months ago #380000 by goatmama
Replied by goatmama on topic three geese free
The guy we got our last 3 live ones from shoots them in the head with a .22
The dead one we got from him at the same time as the live ones, we slit its throat to allow the blood to drain. Plucking has never been one of my strong points but finally got the job done.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

More
12 years 10 months ago #380007 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic three geese free
oooh actually looked at photos of geese and my lass is actually a pilgrim. So its not sebastapol im after but Pilgrim....[:I]

Jan

More
12 years 10 months ago #380009 by kai
Replied by kai on topic three geese free
still would prefer to find a new home rather than killing them. if the new home wants to kill them fine, no objection to that at all.

More
12 years 10 months ago #380071 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic three geese free

Inger;373070 wrote: If you hold the wings together in one hand and the feet together in the other hand, you can swing the head hard against a post a few times.

OMG I hope it's not as brutal as it sounds [xx(]

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 10 months ago #380072 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic three geese free
Jan and Foufee - we are trying to breed our Pilgrims (though each year we try and do not manage to get live goslings) but this year we have planted some flaxes etc in order to create a nicer nesting area in the hopes that the eggs will hatch more live babies. Watch this space if you still haven't sourced any by Spring.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
12 years 10 months ago #380081 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic three geese free

Inger;373070 wrote: We just do the knock on the head and then chop off the head method. If you hold the wings together in one hand and the feet together in the other hand, you can swing the head hard against a post a few times, which knocks them out and your other half can chop the head off at that point. With a really sharp axe, you can go straight to chopping the head off.

We then hang the bird by its feet for 5-10 minutes until the blood has drained out and its them ready to pluck.

I would really hope that the first blow was the stunning one, and the poor creature wouldn't have to endure repeated knocks till it is out!

The couple of geese we killed we did with an air rifle pellet to the back of the head, point blank range, just above the middle of the eyes is the spot that gets it straight to the brain. Then off with the head to bleed out, hanging. If your birds are stroppy, you can subdue them fairly easily with a strong person standing over them and holding them by both wings where the wings meet the body. They calm down really quickly, in our experience and then notice the corn on the ground in front of them.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds