Who can look after our chooks?

More
12 years 9 months ago #27635 by trishb
Does anyone here know of people or any organisation that we could pay to look after our chooks (and doves) for us while away on holiday? We are off to England for a month in August. We have neighbours on the same lifestyle block but don't want to pressure them into looking after the birds and lose their friendship! We will ask them but just in case.........
The birds are all free range and it would just be a case of throwing out the food and checking the water is full. And maybe there would be eggs to take as well.
We are in Coatesville (north Auckland). Any help anyone can give would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #379818 by GloPony
There are HEAPS of horsey girls that graze their horses in that area. I'm sure one of them would be happy to do it. Ask on NZHorses - Horse Talk. :)

More
12 years 9 months ago #379865 by katieb
maybe ask a local petstore they may know of someone or have a staff member who loves all sorts of animals that could stop by.

Although there is prob someone local to you on here that may do it

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
12 years 9 months ago #379892 by minnow
My parents live in Coatesville, on the main highway they may be able to help, if you are not too far away :) I can ask them for you

Little fish, big pond [^]

More
12 years 9 months ago #379910 by Animal Crazy
Hi Trish, maybe we could try and set up a group of people to feed one another's animals when we go away. The only people I found was a company which house sits, from memory they charge $20-$25/day.

More
12 years 9 months ago #379913 by trishb
Thanks everyone for your help with ideas here. As somebody has said, there might be a gap in the market here - maybe I should start doing this myself! I'm looking for a new occupation after the holiday overseas............
I only have experience with chickens, doves, goats, guineas, turkeys... not other farm animals, but....... and I do love chooks!
Trish

More
12 years 9 months ago #380004 by NancyF
How about a housesitter??? surely there must be someone who would be willing to do that for a month... we (back in the days when there was a 'WE' in my life) went away for a week in winter and left the house basically locked up.. was a horrible cold wet house to come back to so leaving food for a house sitter would definately be worth it - especially for a month.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380124 by Stikkibeek
Perhaps there is a reliable family stuck in Christchurch who would jump at the chance of a break away from all the shaking.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 9 months ago #380143 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Who can look after our chooks?
trishB - if you are comfortable to PM me with where you are, I have friends in the area who MAY be able to help you and I am more than happy to ask with a few more details. How many. Do they have to be penned at night etc.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380513 by trishb
There are 8 chooks (Orpingtons) and a small flock of white fantail doves. They are all free range totally and the chooks all go into their shed themselves at night. The doves all have their own houses too. So its just a case of throwing out the food and checking the water is full. I have sent a PM to you too.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380530 by Sunny
Try helpx.com - plenty of people willing to work in return for a place to stay....like Woofers, but more general.

More
12 years 9 months ago #380531 by Sunny
Ooops - helpx.net

More
12 years 9 months ago #380533 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Who can look after our chooks?
Trish - I have passed on your details to my friend and she said she would ring you.

More
12 years 9 months ago #381076 by trishb
Thanks DiDi your friend did ring and we had a chat. Haven't quite decided on the best course of action but will have to in the next month!

More
12 years 9 months ago #381200 by GloPony
Is 'Land Girls' still running? Jools & Linda Topp used to run a business looking after farms & LSB's when people were away. I know Linda is down country now but as far as I know, Jools is still at South Head & they used to cover Coatesville.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds