You think pets with four legs are cool? Mine has eight!

More
12 years 10 months ago #378660 by Stikkibeek
Those two horned spiders seem to like citrus tree.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #378676 by Ruth
The two-horned are actually called Two Spined Spiders. They're very cute. I like finding them and their egg sacs. They're one spider I will quite happily hold. :)

More
12 years 10 months ago #378696 by kaybe

Ruth;371636 wrote: The two-horned are actually called Two Spined Spiders. They're very cute. I like finding them and their egg sacs. They're one spider I will quite happily hold. :)

It looked like it was wearing a cat mask :D

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 10 months ago #378702 by kaybe
I finally managed to find the pic I took:

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
12 years 10 months ago #378703 by Ruth

More
12 years 10 months ago #378705 by kaybe
Great photos!

More
12 years 10 months ago #378712 by GloPony

Ruth;371477 wrote:
I read that male sheet-web spiders, which I believe she is, from her appearance and web structure, are often found in baths, because they come inside hunting for females. Whether or not females usually hang out in houses, I don't know. I have a reasonable photo of a male from last year, and his front legs are noticeably longer than this one's, which is apparently the telling thing.

I can confirm 100% that all of the above is correct. We were in Titirangi for 16 years & every spring we would have VERY large, aggressive males hanging out in the bathroom. It was one hell of a wake up in the morning when you stuck your hand in to turn the shower on & spied one of those! [:0]

They unfortunately also are attracted to warm beds. We were forever having to move them before we could go to sleep. Not me! I wouldn't go NEAR them!! That's what I have a husband for! :p I did get bitten by a large male sheet web while in bed & those huge fangs do hurt & leave a mark! [B)]

More
12 years 10 months ago #379211 by railview
Great photos of the spiders !

Ruth, do you carry a tripod with you when you go wandering round your farm ? Those toadstool photos in your website looks awesome and so sharp.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379219 by Ruth

railview;372218 wrote: Great photos of the spiders !

Ruth, do you carry a tripod with you when you go wandering round your farm ? Those toadstool photos in your website looks awesome and so sharp.

Thank you. :) No, I only carry a Canon G12 - because it's light and small enough to have strapped around my middle wherever I go. I'd love to carry a DSLR, tripod, lenses, etc. but they're too heavy/bulky. I just brace myself as best I can to reduce shaking; and take a good number of shots!

• Don't Panic
12 years 10 months ago #379261 by Don't Panic

Ruth;372226 wrote: and take a good number of shots!

That is the trick to taking good photos no matter what equipment you have I think.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379263 by railview

Ruth;372226 wrote: I only carry a Canon G12 - because it's light and small

You pre-empted my next question :D . Great camera.

More
12 years 10 months ago #379267 by Leslie_NZ
Great Photos!
I lived in Australia for about 3 years and the place I was living at did not allow pets, so I became the proud "adopted" owner of a very young huntsman spider. It lived in the corner of my ensuite, and grew quite large over 2 years.

Unfortunately it met an end when my new boyfriend, (now husband) came to stay with me for a few days. I went to work in the afternoon, and the spider ventured into the bedroom with him and he killed it, nearly ruined our relationship when I found out what he had done. Poor spidey.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds