You think pets with four legs are cool? Mine has eight!

More
12 years 10 months ago #27540 by Ruth
Feeding time this evening.

The web is above the toilet - any arachnophobes go outside behind a tree. :D (Where they can't see how many spiders there might be.) There aren't very many insects flying into the bathroom, so I throw any I catch up onto the web for my pet. I think she's with spidlet after she had an overnight visitor last week.

Attached files
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #378513 by BRL
I'm seriously impressed.

More
12 years 10 months ago #378517 by Ruth
We take all our visitors to meet her - mostly in case somebody thinks we have terrible housekeeping and decides they should clear the web away! It's a beautiful multi-layer web, over and around which she dashes when something lands. Her feet make a funny noise as she runs. During the day she huddles in a corner, in a sort of little basket-like nest she seems to have woven.

For a while I assumed she was he, but when I saw the details of her mate the other night, I decided I'd been wrong. The males have longer legs and I suspect they have some sort of pheremone pads on their front feeler things. I don't know very much in detail about spiders, but I'm discovering all sorts of things from close observation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #378519 by Stikkibeek
Well I don't particularly like spiders (or wetas either for that matter) but she is particularly beautiful. Her bum would make a very nice pearl if it were possible to make it calcify.
A spider that will liquidize a smelly green shield beetle, gets my vote.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 10 months ago #378522 by Ronney
My house is held together by spiders and their webs. There was one point when the dining room curtains were attached to the window and walls by spider webs[^]

What's more, I'm quite positive that if you chuck them out the window, they come back in again. No kidding. I have several resident spiders that I watch and some can live for several years. A couple I've chucked out the window only to find a spider of the same type and size back in residence several hours later. I let them stay.

My bathroom is about to be taken over by a trillion little ones that have hatched above the window. Several months ago, on a housekeeping spree (must have been expecting visitors[:0]) I threw this pretty, pale gray spider out the window. Several hours later she was back. Out the window it went again. Went to have a shower that night and it was back. Same type of spider, same colour, same size. It stayed and several days ago I noticed she is surrounded by little dots. She builds fascinating "achorage" webs from the ceiling to the window sill that are thick where it attaches to the sill.

And one day I'll bore you rigid on how to take a microwave oven door apart to rescue a jumping spider. The spider was fine - just, as it had been in there for a good week - and the microwave still goes.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
12 years 10 months ago #378523 by Simkin
Brilliant photo. How big is she?

More
12 years 10 months ago #378526 by Ruth
Maybe six or seven centimetres? She's back in the corner with her dinner, so I can't quite get the ruler near her. But that was a full-sized green beetle.

I read that male sheet-web spiders, which I believe she is, from her appearance and web structure, are often found in baths, because they come inside hunting for females. Whether or not females usually hang out in houses, I don't know. I have a reasonable photo of a male from last year, and his front legs are noticeably longer than this one's, which is apparently the telling thing.

More
12 years 10 months ago #378528 by Stikkibeek
I saw an unusual one a few weeks ago. It was on the side of my garden shed, and I went to get something to put it in but when I got back it was gone. Near as I can remember, it had pale stripes on its front legs, was quite big and very ugly and when I disturbed it, it reared up and waved its front legs in the air. One of the reasons I wanted to get it identified, as i have never seen one rear in a striking pose quite like that before. I can only hope a chook found it and ate it if it's another Aussie invader.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
12 years 10 months ago #378532 by LMCL65
As beautiful as she is Ruth, and she is beautiful, I would be one of the ones using the outdoor facilities - ignorance is bliss!

Laurette, mother to Eamon (16), Sebastian and Cheve (angel cats) Henry and Bellatrix cats, Sadie and Billy Bob(dogs) Rocky, Lola and Hersephone (rainbow goat) (Goats), Sparrow and Esme (cows), 6 chickens , 6 Khaki campbell ducks, tadpoles and goldfish.

• Jack
12 years 10 months ago #378537 by Jack
Gidday

Is that a little dew drop spider?

I reckon they are just so bloody beautiful. What's more, spiders are on our side, they eat all the bad bugs so they must be good Eh!

More
12 years 10 months ago #378550 by stephclark

LMCL65;371483 wrote: As beautiful as she is Ruth, and she is beautiful, I would be one of the ones using the outdoor facilities - ignorance is bliss!

i am with you on that one..
sorry Ruth, they freak me out.. as long as they dont stay where i can see them, i am happy to have them about..thank goodness for a 14 foot stud!.. they live up there and i live down here..

More
12 years 10 months ago #378552 by Heemskerck Station
We had one we called Charlotte (Kids named it after from the Movie Charlotte's web). It lived inthe kitchen and was a great help with the flies. Amazingly - even though my wife is scarred of spiders she willingly accepted it. She (the spider - not the wife :) ) has moved on now and left us a ball of eggs - So we will see what comes from that!!

More
12 years 10 months ago #378566 by Cinsara
Awesome, I love spiders. I had a pet Avondale spider when I was a kid, she ended up spinning an egg and hatching a million spidlets so I let her and the family go. Well I just opened her enclosure and put it in a sheltered spot as it was totally webbed up and I couldn't safely scoop everyone out.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
12 years 10 months ago #378621 by Ruth
I found a book in the library today which confirmed that the males have enlarged bits on their palps, the front little sensing things.

More
12 years 10 months ago #378648 by kaybe
I found a Two Horned spider in the garden a few months ago, I was very excited by the discovery of the hitherto unknown (to me :D ) arachnid - until I pointed it out to my son and he scornfully dismissed it as a "Turtle Horn spider, they're really common" :rolleyes:

Another Aussie invader apparently.

But I took lots of pics, because it really was pretty and also weird looking.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds